Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Volkswagen Atlas

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 02:42 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 10-29-16, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
Love the gold color. . . . . getting tired of ordinary color.
Yes, I agree...that's a beautiful shade. What usually passes for "gold" from auto manufacturers today is actually a dull, metallic, off-beige or off-tan color.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-16 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 09:02 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like all German cars, it's on the "restrained yet handsome" side. Some will find it underwhelming, whereas some will like the Audi-esque design inside and out. Personally, I'm in the latter camp. It's the same reason why I like the Jetta and Passat (as long as they are in mid-level trims or higher). They look more upscale than their competition since they have so many Audi design elements inside and out.
Old 10-29-16, 10:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they manage to sell it under 50k loaded, I think they will do very well with this model.
Old 10-29-16, 11:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man this is a pretty crowded segment they're going into. They need to have some sort of distinct competitive advantage. Looks aren't going to be it, it looks nice, but rather conservative/ho-hum like all its competitors. Driving dynamics don't seem to be a compelling reason to buy either, FWD based, similar(actually way less with the 4 cylinder) power output compared to the competition.

About the only things they might be able to win customers over on is superior room inside(ie a really roomy 2nd/3rd row/cargo area with the 3rd row up) or just win on pricing it cheaper. I really cannot imagine why somebody would buy this VW over a Pilot, Highlander, or Explorer. Gas VW's are notoriously unreliable and stupidly expensive to fix. All of those competitors have great reliability and durability(remember that the Highway Patrol loves the Explorer and beats the living crap out of them, they don't buy crap that is constantly in the shop or breaks down)
Old 10-30-16, 06:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man this is a pretty crowded segment they're going into. They need to have some sort of distinct competitive advantage. Looks aren't going to be it, it looks nice, but rather conservative/ho-hum like all its competitors. Driving dynamics don't seem to be a compelling reason to buy either, FWD based, similar(actually way less with the 4 cylinder) power output compared to the competition.

About the only things they might be able to win customers over on is superior room inside(ie a really roomy 2nd/3rd row/cargo area with the 3rd row up) or just win on pricing it cheaper. I really cannot imagine why somebody would buy this VW over a Pilot, Highlander, or Explorer. Gas VW's are notoriously unreliable and stupidly expensive to fix. All of those competitors have great reliability and durability(remember that the Highway Patrol loves the Explorer and beats the living crap out of them, they don't buy crap that is constantly in the shop or breaks down)
You may think it is crowded but the crossover utility vehicle segments continue to grow, such that the mid-size car segment is being affected. And VW, with the aim of becoming the world's largest automaker, has all but ignored this segment. Ironically, its luxury brands all have utility vehicles -- Audi has a model in any size you can imagine, Bentley has a utility vehicle, even Lamborghini is studying its own model -- yet the mass-market brand, Volkswagen, the People's Car, does not have a mass market utility vehicle in the largest utility vehicle market in the world.

The Atlas seems to check all wanted mid-size utility vehicle features: 3 rows of seats, size that is neither too large nor too small, inoffensive styling, and ease of use and driving. As long as it is priced right, which it should be, considering that it was designed for, and built in the North American market, it should sell.

If it does not sell, then something is wrong, and may be final proof that VW senior management just does not understand the North American market.
Old 10-30-16, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
If it does not sell, then something is wrong, and may be final proof that VW senior management just does not understand the North American market.

IMO, despite the diesel-fiasco, they do seem to be taking steps to try and adjust to the American market. Passat sales, for example, took a big step up when they stopped importing the previous Euro-versons here and introduced an all-new Passat a few years ago, just for the American market, that was basically a German Camry. Now, with the Atlas, they have (apparently) got an SUV that appears to be aimed directly at the Jeep Grand Cherokee (or maybe the slightly larger Ford Explorer).....two classic American staples.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 07:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, despite the diesel-fiasco, they do seem to be taking steps to try and adjust to the American market. Passat sales, for example, took a big step up when they stopped importing the previous Euro-versons here and introduced an all-new Passat a few years ago, just for the American market, that was basically a German Camry. Now, with the Atlas, they have (apparently) got an SUV that appears to be aimed directly at the Jeep Grand Cherokee (or maybe the slightly larger Ford Explorer).....two classic American staples.
I wouldn't use the Passat as a good example. Sales of that model started falling steadily not long after its introduction. It was a actually a major sign VW [still] doesn't seem to understand the U.S. market. The Americanized Passat came here with an ineffecient base engine, received a too-mild update recently, and lagged behind the competition from a feature perspective soon after its introduction. That class is highly competitive and VW acted like it didn't have the stamina to keep up.
Old 10-30-16, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I wouldn't use the Passat as a good example. Sales of that model started falling steadily not long after its introduction. It was a actually a major sign VW [still] doesn't seem to understand the U.S. market. The Americanized Passat came here with an ineffecient base engine, received a too-mild update recently, and lagged behind the competition from a feature perspective soon after its introduction. That class is highly competitive and VW acted like it didn't have the stamina to keep up.
The Americanized Passat was indeed a success at first, but, as you note, yes, sales did fall. Much of that, though, is due to VW's general image following the scandal. Right now, many of what buyers VW does have are simply taking advantage of the depressed-price market for their products that the scandal has caused, where relative bargains can be found.

Anyhow, back to the Atlas. I won't make final comments until I actually see and drive it, but, from the images, it appears to be aimed squarely at the Explorer and JGC.
Old 10-30-16, 09:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Not guessing on price, but noticing that it seems to have the same grille as the Ford Explorer, which looks ripped off from the Land Rover. I guess it is the "trickle down grille syndrome". On a side note, I've always found it interesting that VW charges such a premium for their Toureg, which granted is a very nice vehicle, but you still get the reliability issues and VW service. I recently read an article that indicated they were taking even more upmarket, which is mind-boggling to me. Audi is supposed to be the premium brand while VW is the "everyman's brand".
Old 10-30-16, 09:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Not guessing on price, but noticing that it seems to have the same grille as the Ford Explorer, which looks ripped off from the Land Rover. I guess it is the "trickle down grille syndrome". On a side note, I've always found it interesting that VW charges such a premium for their Toureg, which granted is a very nice vehicle, but you still get the reliability issues and VW service. I recently read an article that indicated they were taking even more upmarket, which is mind-boggling to me. Audi is supposed to be the premium brand while VW is the "everyman's brand".
Like somebody said earlier, VW execs are completely out of sync with the US market. In Europe VW is viewed as a somewhat premium brand, SEAT and Skoda are their entry level products in various European markets. A VW Golf is a fairly expensive car in Europe, but here in the US its considered their basic economy car, and it is priced above the competition. Same thing goes with the Toureg, in America your premium, $40,000+ brand is Audi, not VW. A

All of the expensive VW's(Toureg, Phaeton, previous generations of the Passat) have all been major flops in the US market.