Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Whats your take on the Fiesta ST?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 10:30 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Whats your take on the Fiesta ST?

So I'm planning on getting myself something nice, light, fun, and affordable. And recently the Ford Fiesta ST has caught my eye. Everywhere I look on the Internet I see nothing but praise for this car. But my question I have for my fellow CL members is what's your take on the car?

I currently have a 2006 IS350 and have decided to have it mainly as a project car. Show car, vip car, etc.. And I want to get a second car for just flat out fun and also daily duty. What do you guys think about the Fiesta? Anyone here get the chance to experience driving one yet or own one or know someone who does? How do you feel about it?
Old 11-02-16, 11:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider is that the Fiesta is very unsafe car, 2 of my clients totaled their brand new Fiesta in low speed accidents (one stop sign intersection, one rearend accident ) I couldn't believe how the situation/speed of the accident could total a car so easily. Both clients switched to bigger/safer cars right after and swear never recommend the car to anyone. So please keep this in mind.
Old 11-03-16, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, the Fiesta and Focus have both been well below average in reliability ever since they were introduced, and with clunky-shifting dual-clutch transmissions. But that refers to the everyday, bread-and-buyer versions, which don't necessarily have the same components in them that the ST version would. And blacksc400 also has a point.....with these cars, even with today's safety-equipment in them, you aren't exactly riding around in a tank. I'd think twice.

If it's basically a new pocket-rocket you want, I'd look at the VW Golf GTI or Subaru WRX. Both (as with the Fiesta) might also have some reliability issues (WRX models are not as reliable as some other Subie products), but you would at least be riding in something more structurally sound in accident.
Old 11-03-16, 07:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd look towards the Focus ST over the Fiesta ST -- a little safer -- but yes MM is correct, neither shows to be too reliable.
Old 11-03-16, 09:25 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fiesta ST doesn't have the dual-clutch transmission that plagues both the regular Focus and Fiesta. It's an incredibly well-balanced chassis and probably one of the cheapest thrills you can buy on the market today.
Old 11-03-16, 09:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There's been a few people who've had them long-term in one of the forums I hang out in. They said their biggest complaint is that the car never "settles down." As in, the ST's suspension never stops faithfully reporting the road surface, the wind and road noise is high, and it's overall not a relaxing drive. If you have a short commute then go for it I suppose.
Old 11-03-16, 09:54 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

The FiST appeals to the enthusiast crowd...those looking for economical A to B ownership should stay away. With that said, totally agree, I wouldn't buy a Fiesta that wasn't a stick because the DCT is the worst part of the ownership (same can go for the Focus too). But these things are popular with that crowd, and the most likely let down would be the Ford service experience. If you enjoy driving, it will be fun.

If one can't escape its un-Toyota like qualities, than spring for a WRX, don't know if the GTI will be better in the long run. The fact that this car enjoys an enthusiast following, I doubt they won't be undesirable to another buyer if you decide otherwise down the line. Best is to try both Focus and Fiesta ST.

Speaking of the Fiesta, this special one painted this past year for the NAIAS was scooped up:
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ow-finds-owner

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 11-03-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-03-16, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
There's been a few people who've had them long-term in one of the forums I hang out in. They said their biggest complaint is that the car never "settles down." As in, the ST's suspension never stops faithfully reporting the road surface, the wind and road noise is high, and it's overall not a relaxing drive. If you have a short commute then go for it I suppose.
An uncomfortable ride in a car like this is pretty much to be expected. Short wheelbase, light weight, low-profile tires, stiff springs/shocks, not much suspension travel, skimpy insulation, firmly-padded sport-seats........put all of that together, and, no, you're not going to have Town Car comfort.
Old 11-03-16, 12:24 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah what really gets my attention about this car is that it gets universal praise for being such a well rounded car. I know it's not gonna be Lexus soft or quiet but that's one of the reasons why I find it appealing . To me my Is350 is quick and nice and all but it's not very involving. Even with coilovers it's not very communicative with the road or handling. But that's okay because that's not what I bought a Lexus for anyway lol. But now I feel that I meet something fun to drive , but is still practical for day to day use (4 doors , hatch , fuel economy ) yet gives me a thrill every time I drive it without having to break the laws lol. Safety isn't much of a concern either since the Fiesta is likely more safe than my IS, since my IS has the airbag light on currently which probably means they don't function anyway... Also I plan to make this my first autocross/track car if I go through with it.

But Keep the input coming guys! I love to read about different points of view from people. Also just chatting cars in general lol.
Old 11-03-16, 12:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if either had AWD I would've considered them - but I had my car in Denver for a while so I got a WRX.

I heard the Recarco seats in the Fi/Fo ST are VERY uncomfy....they look great tho...

Last edited by bagwell; 11-03-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I heard the Recarco seats in the Fi/Fo ST are VERY uncomfy....they look great tho...

They're reasonably comfy (despite the firm padding) if you are thin, but those high, sharply-raised side-bolsters often don't cut it for larger-sized people.

(the VW GTI, BTW, has the same problem...the big bolsters dig into large backs and thighs. The Alfa 4C is probably the worst of all.....its front seats seem designed for midgets LOL).
Old 11-03-16, 03:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know other people have said get a VW Golf GTI or Subie WRX, but those cars are like $6,000-$10,000 more expensive than a Fiesta ST depending on how you option them. A base model Golf is about the same price as the tricked out Fiesta ST.

My suggestion is to check out a Mazda 3. Bit more refinement than the Fiesta ST, around the same price if you don't go for the luxury version with, navigation, leather, etc. I think the 3 is a better all-rounder, but it probably isn't going to have that light weight feel of the Fiesta since its a bigger/heavier car.
Old 11-03-16, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I know other people have said get a VW Golf GTI or Subie WRX, but those cars are like $6,000-$10,000 more expensive than a Fiesta ST depending on how you option them. A base model Golf is about the same price as the tricked out Fiesta ST.

My suggestion is to check out a Mazda 3. Bit more refinement than the Fiesta ST, around the same price if you don't go for the luxury version with, navigation, leather, etc. I think the 3 is a better all-rounder, but it probably isn't going to have that light weight feel of the Fiesta since its a bigger/heavier car.
Yes, I suggested the VW and Subie, but mainly because the OP did not give a specific cost-range (only "affordable").

Good suggestion on the Mazda3 from a general chassis standpoint, but it lacks a true high-performance turbo version.
Old 11-03-16, 08:40 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Another car that just popped up is the Hyundai Elantra Sport, which will be coming out sometime before the end of the year. Definitely won't be as fun to toss around as the FiST or the GTI/WRX, etc., but the price is really competitive.

http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/med...tarts-at-21650

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 11-04-16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 10:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ That Hyundia just looks boring. 200hp, that would make things interesting though. I really wonder about the handling with this car, seems like Hyundia never has had any luck tuning performance suspensions.

Quick Reply: Whats your take on the Fiesta ST?