Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt Quick Drive | Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 06:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Quick Drive | Consumer Reports

Old 11-03-16, 08:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I don't agree with his comment at 2:00 that 'Chevy just gave up on the design', but nice quick review otherwise.
Old 11-03-16, 08:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I got an extended evaluation of the Bolt recently. I think it's going to do well and really bring people to consider an EV as their only car. With nearly 250 miles of range, urban apartment dwellers don't need to worry about having to charge every single night. Good visibility and overall driving dynamics. I also love GM's integration of the regen-on-demand paddle, my range would go up at times during stop and go traffic while using that paddle. Charging times will definitely still be a compromise vs. gas, at ~25 miles per hour on most common 240V charging stations. DC fast charge stations are still pretty hard to find, and aren't as fast at the Tesla Superchargers (although with the wait times at some of those Tesla stations now, maybe it evens out haha). I think it's great that the Bolt is coming to market, and shows the ability of the "old guard" automakers and their capabilities once they put a focus on something. And it'll definitely have superior build quality, yes even GM, than what Tesla has been able to do thus far.
Old 11-03-16, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It's probably too small a car for the 37K they are asking for it (even with tax-credits), though some of that money is obviously going for the advanced, high-capacity battery and charging system. IMO, though, unless one needs or wants the 200-mile-plus range this car has, the larger, more substantial, and cheaper (29K) Ford Focus Electric is a smarter buy...and the Focus Electric avoids the unreliability and clunky dual-clutch transmission of the gasoline versions.
Old 11-03-16, 10:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's probably too small a car for the 37K they are asking for it (even with tax-credits), though some of that money is obviously going for the advanced, high-capacity battery and charging system. IMO, though, unless one needs or wants the 200-mile-plus range this car has, the larger, more substantial, and cheaper (29K) Ford Focus Electric is a smarter buy...and the Focus Electric avoids the unreliability and clunky dual-clutch transmission of the gasoline versions.
The market has shown that there is an extremely limited number of buyers that is looking for a sub-100 mile range electric vehicle. Even less so on the used end, meaning horrendous resale values. The Bolt has surprising interior space and utility, benefitting from a purpose built EV platform that helps maximize packaging and efficiency. Utility of the Focus electric is hugely compromised with its battery location. Yes, for 30K you can buy a "larger" car, but that can be said at almost any price. For someone that is looking for an EV, this Bolt is the best mainstream car out there.
Old 11-03-16, 12:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
For someone that is looking for an EV, this Bolt is the best mainstream car out there.
Except for the Model 3 which is looking to become mainstream.
Old 11-03-16, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

model 3 is a year away, and likely won't be as roomy.
Old 11-03-16, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

i think it's an unflashy major achievement. best of luck to gm on the bolt.
Old 11-03-16, 01:05 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
Except for the Model 3 which is looking to become mainstream.
Model 3 will hardly be mainstream. Teslas to date have all shown that initial production and ramp up will be top end models, and at some point they eliminate the low end from even being offered until a few years later, when sales slow down they reintroduce the low variant. I am fairly certain that most of the first year Model 3 production will have pricing closer to $50K, pretty far above what I would consider "mainstream." It's definitely still focused as a luxury/premium sector pricing tier.
Old 11-03-16, 06:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I got an extended evaluation of the Bolt recently. I think it's going to do well and really bring people to consider an EV as their only car. With nearly 250 miles of range, urban apartment dwellers don't need to worry about having to charge every single night. Good visibility and overall driving dynamics. I also love GM's integration of the regen-on-demand paddle, my range would go up at times during stop and go traffic while using that paddle. Charging times will definitely still be a compromise vs. gas, at ~25 miles per hour on most common 240V charging stations. DC fast charge stations are still pretty hard to find, and aren't as fast at the Tesla Superchargers (although with the wait times at some of those Tesla stations now, maybe it evens out haha). I think it's great that the Bolt is coming to market, and shows the ability of the "old guard" automakers and their capabilities once they put a focus on something. And it'll definitely have superior build quality, yes even GM, than what Tesla has been able to do thus far.
That long range (for an EV) should ease many range-anxiety worries. If, as they say, most people could run on 25 miles of EV range a day, 250 will give them a week of running before having to worry about getting a full charge. If those drivers are used to filling up at the pump once a week, a 250 mile range should be good.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have no doubt that the $37,695 price was selected on purpose -- subtract the $7500 tax credit and the price comes out to a very reasonable $29,995.

Available on the purpose-built EV platform means that the Bolt will have a large battery giving it long range, without giving up a roomy passenger cabin, a fair-size trunk space and driving dynamics. With its large, behind-the-rear-axle, trunk-mounted battery, the Ford Focus, with its adapted platform, gives up a lot of trunk space and also gives up driving dynamics.