Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts for an SUV for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 09:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If your wife didn't like the new Pilot, then she likely won't like the MDX, they drive very similarly.

As others have stated, Q7 and XC90 are great, but the Q7 will likely ring up over $60K for most configurations, although I guess they just introduced the 2.0T trim.

I think the Kia Sorento looks pretty great inside and out, at least in the SXL trim, but it has a fairly tight 3rd row (occasional use only I'd say), the Hyundai Santa Fe (long wheelbase) is pretty solid and the refresh has lots of tech and lux features for a price undercutting the Highlander for the most part.

The 2017 Highlander gets a bit more power and a new 8 speed automatic. Very comfortable to ride and drive, and I believe they offer middle row bench seat for the top trims this year, was previously captains chairs only.

CX-9 is attractive, especially with its Machine Gray paint, and good materials in the Signature trim (high level leather, rosewood and aluminum). 3rd row room is decent for adults. Some of the overall build seems a bit cheaper than a Highlander.
Old 11-04-16, 05:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Thanks for the suggestion all; budget indicatively is in the $50s. Found a few 2013 L Certified LX's that fit in this price range, have not tried the Q7 (while I'll research, what kind of reliability?). Really this would ideally be a vehicle that we'd keep up to 150k miles, which rules out a couple of vehicles (i.e. Range Rover...Doug Demuro!)
Wife tried the new Pilot and was "meh" so we're moving past that.
I considered a Buick Enclave but they don't age well...I can see 5-6 years down the road hating it (drove a CPO 2012 Enclave and a friend owns a 2010 Traverse LTZ, they rattled and rode horrible).
Rav4/RX/NT are all too small.
The Enclave is dated at this point, so, yeah, 5-6 years down the road will create a strained relationship with the car.

If your price point is in the $50s, it would seem that the MDX fits all your criteria. If you want to move downscale from that, the new CX-9 is nice--but it lacks a few of the upper end features, like heated steering wheel, vented front seats, heated rear seats, and panoramic sunroof. It also has a turbo 4, which may take some getting used to. Styling-wise, I personally like the Volvo XC-90.
Old 11-04-16, 07:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks all for your thoughts.

WV family - Parkersburg! But her family lives on the "outskirts" where navigating through tricky terrain through fields & farms is a norm hehe

Q7 - you guys talking about the newly released model or a 2012-2015 Q7?
XC90 - I glanced at the new one (love the look & style), but reading some forums shows electronic gremlins and that'll just make my wife pissed.
Higlander - my wife test drove a 14 Limited when she bought her Pilot, liked it didn't love it. Worth re-looking at a 17 though
CX-9 - I really liked the looks, my wife's comments was "too small" but granted she has never seen one, much less been in one.

Do you all think the Q7/XC90/CX-9 are 150k-200k mile cars (i.e. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a LX/LC with 150k miles on it)?
Old 11-04-16, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He specifically stated, in the opening post, that he disliked the last Pilot they had, although you have a point that the redesign for 2016/2017 might (?) be a little more to his liking. Probably wouldn't hurt to look.
my point was his wife liked their last pilot and it's not about him. but anyway, she's now ruled out a new pilot.

tons of great choices out there.
Old 11-04-16, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

wandl - if you're looking at the lx/lc, i guess you don't mind a HUGE gasoline bill.
Old 11-04-16, 07:23 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wandl - if you're looking at the lx/lc, i guess you don't mind a HUGE gasoline bill.
Hah yes I've thought about that too. She drives 6-8k miles a year, if that. Currently runs errands around town in them with kids so on her Pilot she is getting 10mpg on average as per Fuelly, over the past 5 months. While I would assume the LC/LX would get 5-6mpg based on her habits, I don't discern a big enough gas bill to scare me. Insurance for a LC/LX is also ~$60/year increase compared to her Pilot.

Pilot has been trouble free, affordable, and spacious. I just really dislike her Pilot, it is merely functional transportation to me and not an "experience" like when I get in my LS every day, I get thrilled. I hope she can find something like that too.
Old 11-04-16, 08:03 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She loves the LX, get a 13' model they will last beyond 150k miles and still worth good money when it's time to sell.
Old 11-04-16, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Thanks all for your thoughts.

WV family - Parkersburg! But her family lives on the "outskirts" where navigating through tricky terrain through fields & farms is a norm hehe
No doubt! Where I'm from is actually more mountainous and rural, I got caught on 64 at night in a freak snowstorm in a RWD LS400 headed there one time...that was hairy LOL

Q7 - you guys talking about the newly released model or a 2012-2015 Q7?
The new one...

XC90 - I glanced at the new one (love the look & style), but reading some forums shows electronic gremlins and that'll just make my wife pissed.
Also a really good choice.

CX-9 - I really liked the looks, my wife's comments was "too small" but granted she has never seen one, much less been in one.
Gotta see it in person, its exactly the same size as all these vehicles.

Do you all think the Q7/XC90/CX-9 are 150k-200k mile cars (i.e. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a LX/LC with 150k miles on it)?
I would say yes for the Q7 and the CX-9, I don't know about the XC-90...
Old 11-04-16, 08:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tough question. I don't think anyone can definitively say that any European make is a 150k-200k mile car. I would generally say that any Japanese make can go that long, but the CX-9 has a brand new engine in it, and I don't think anyone can say for sure the longevity of that 2.5L turbo 4.

Maybe your wife ends up liking the '17 Highlander SE versions, which are more sporty, and would definitely have the longevity factor.
Old 11-04-16, 07:06 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you test drive the '17 Q7 (which is out of your budget range) you will never buy the previous model. If I wanted something that big in that price range I would go CX-9 hands down. Nice looking, fun-to-drive vehicle with a beautiful interior.
Old 11-05-16, 08:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

(i.e. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a LX/LC with 150k miles on it)?
Yes I agree, but most high end luxury buyers would rather have a Audi, MB or BMW as those brands add more prestige than Lexus does. Its why the V12 G-wagon buyer likely has no interest in reliability ratings.
Old 11-05-16, 09:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, I'm coming out of left field here, but have you considered a minivan for hauling your brood? Save your primary car for date nights or taking the kids to the prom. A beater will suffice for most daily chores - and cost considerably less.

A few years back when I had to go the mommyvan route, I was most unhappy - having put a lot of miles over eight years on a couple of RX's, traveling long distances for my company. I had condemned minivan handling as miserable with limited suspension travel and while performance was a bit sluggish, it really wasn't a whole lot worse than the RX's. Then I discovered the handling problems were due to badly worn front end bushings and joints, and the springs had collapsed nearly three inches (although the stance looked nice). The limited suspension travel caused even the smallest speed bump to initiate a crash into the bump stops. I replaced all of the above, along with a complete overhaul of all the moving parts except the engine and tranny that were still in good shape.

From the outset I needed a DD and designated grocery-getter, but found the little vans to be pretty reasonable traveling companions out on the road - especially when you have to carry a load of passengers. The Lexus' were unmatched for this duty, where our whole family, including wife, daughter, and a small dog fit quite well. When I traveled on business, I could carry my office, including my laptop, phone, printer, professional video, photo, and lighting gear, with all their batteries, chargers, and accessories, plus clothes and food for several days in the field, and still haul a customer, a grip, and their baggage. But that was then, this is now. The mini will haul sheets of plywood, or a riding mower, about a yard and a half of compost (in barrels), or six fairly large adults as needed by shuffling seats. Since my minivans were purchased used with minimal options (AC and a radio upgrade being the only luxuries allowed) they were pretty largely bottom-feeders in the market, but still are comfortable and quite serviceable, particularly as a suburban runabout. On the highway they're no Lexus, but what is?

Here's the best part: cost. If you do your homework and shop the used market carefully you can find one of these little gems for $3K or less. Pocket change to a Lexus owner, but if you can stand the drastic loss of public image, driving something cheap has its advantages. First of all, if it quits (highly unlikely) you can replace it cheap. The cost of tires, batteries, and repair parts are similarly inexpensive, as is insurance and maintenance. Of course you can keep yourself entertained by doing a partial restoration to assuage your feelings of inferiority at the mall parking lot, where a $250 paint job and a $21 set of hubcaps or a couple of rattle cans of paint and a can of polish can do wonders for the perceived value of your ride. At least you can look Lexus drivers in the eye and say, "Hey, I saved $45,000."

They both managed to clean up pretty well - considering they were/are both beaters . . . .

Project #1, a '92 Plymouth Grand Voyager, aka "Old Blue" lasted several years and tens of thousands of miles for us before the engine blew and rendered it scrap.

Project #2, a '99 Dodge Caravan, recently rebuilt and good for thousands more miles.

Feel better?

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-05-16 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
OK, I'm coming out of left field here, but have you considered a minivan for hauling your brood? Save your primary car for date nights or taking the kids to the prom. A beater will suffice for most daily chores - and cost considerably less.

A few years back when I had to go the mommyvan route, I was most unhappy - having put a lot of miles over eight years on a couple of RX's, traveling long distances for my company. I had condemned minivan handling as miserable with limited suspension travel and while performance was a bit sluggish, it really wasn't a whole lot worse than the RX's. Then I discovered the handling problems were due to badly worn front end bushings and joints, and the springs had collapsed nearly three inches (although the stance looked nice). The limited suspension travel caused even the smallest speed bump to initiate a crash into the bump stops. I replaced all of the above, along with a complete overhaul of all the moving parts except the engine and tranny that were still in good shape.

From the outset I needed a DD and designated grocery-getter, but found the little vans to be pretty reasonable traveling companions out on the road - especially when you have to carry a load of passengers. The Lexus' were unmatched for this duty, where our whole family, including wife, daughter, and a small dog fit quite well. When I traveled on business, I could carry my office, including my laptop, phone, printer, professional video, photo, and lighting gear, with all their batteries, chargers, and accessories, plus clothes and food for several days in the field, and still haul a customer, a grip, and their baggage. But that was then, this is now. The mini will haul sheets of plywood, or a riding mower, about a yard and a half of compost (in barrels), or six fairly large adults as needed by shuffling seats. Since my minivans were purchased used with minimal options (AC and a radio upgrade being the only luxuries allowed) they were pretty largely bottom-feeders in the market, but still are comfortable and quite serviceable, particularly as a suburban runabout. On the highway they're no Lexus, but what is?

Here's the best part: cost. If you do your homework and shop the used market carefully you can find one of these little gems for $3K or less. Pocket change to a Lexus owner, but if you can stand the drastic loss of public image, driving something cheap has its advantages. First of all, if it quits (highly unlikely) you can replace it cheap. The cost of tires, batteries, and repair parts are similarly inexpensive, as is insurance and maintenance. Of course you can keep yourself entertained by doing a partial restoration to assuage your feelings of inferiority at the mall parking lot, where a $250 paint job and a $21 set of hubcaps or a couple of rattle cans of paint and a can of polish can do wonders for the perceived value of your ride. At least you can look Lexus drivers in the eye and say, "Hey, I saved $45,000."

They both managed to clean up pretty well - considering they were/are both beaters . . . .

Project #1, a '92 Plymouth Grand Voyager, aka "Old Blue" lasted several years and tens of thousands of miles for us before the engine blew and rendered it scrap.

Project #2, a '99 Dodge Caravan, recently rebuilt and good for thousands more miles.

Feel better?
Of all brands, I think Lexus and Acura could pull off minivans. They would sell like hot cakes.
Old 11-05-16, 10:29 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think so too, and wonder why they haven't spiced-up the Sienna and the Odyssey for service in the luxury divisions. They actually get pretty close with their current offerings. It may be that the luxo-market isn't quite ready for something so pedestrian as a minivan. At the same time, Chrysler's new Pacifica minivan - even without the hybrid package - gets really close to the $50K mark. That's pretty competitive territory for both Lexus and Acura.

Pacifica

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-05-16 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I think so too, and wonder why they haven't spiced-up the Sienna and the Odyssey for service in the luxury divisions. They actually get pretty close with their current offerings. It may be that the luxo-market isn't quite ready for something so pedestrian as a minivan. At the same time, Chrysler's new Pacifica minivan - even without the hybrid package - gets really close to the $50K mark. That's pretty competitive territory for both Lexus and Acura.

Pacifica
If competition offered it, there would be no doubt that Lexus would offer a spruced up Sienna with AWD and the option of Hybrid. Same thing for trucks. I think Lexus would also benefit from being first in this segment.

Quick Reply: Thoughts for an SUV for the wife