Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts for an SUV for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 06:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I certainly would not worry about the CX-9 getting to 150k miles...the Q7...probably.
I might not necessarily want to be the guinea pig on that new CX-9 turbo 4 engine in its 1st MY if I needed my car to make it to 150K.
Old 11-11-16, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I might not necessarily want to be the guinea pig on that new CX-9 turbo 4 engine in its 1st MY if I needed my car to make it to 150K.
I've got enough firsthand experience with Mazdas through family members I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-12-16, 10:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not sold on the idea of a turbocharged 4 cyliner engine in a big, heavy vehicle like the CX-9 to start with. This car is 4300lbs to start with. Load it up with 6-7 people and their luggage, you're looking at an extra 1000-1500lbs you're lugging around, so its more like 5300lbs. With that little 4 cylinder turbo, you're going to be constantly in boost to carry the weight around. These 4 cylinder turbo engines are good at tricking the EPA test, because the EPA tests at very light throttle, off boost, with nobody in the car. When the engine is on boost, your MPG sucks, but you get the power you need to move the car and payload around. Plus those little 4 cylinder engines have to work a lot harder than an naturally aspirated V6 or V8 that makes similar power, I'm kind of dubious of their long term reliability.
Old 11-13-16, 04:23 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'm not sold on the idea of a turbocharged 4 cyliner engine in a big, heavy vehicle like the CX-9 to start with. This car is 4300lbs to start with. Load it up with 6-7 people and their luggage, you're looking at an extra 1000-1500lbs you're lugging around, so its more like 5300lbs. With that little 4 cylinder turbo, you're going to be constantly in boost to carry the weight around. These 4 cylinder turbo engines are good at tricking the EPA test, because the EPA tests at very light throttle, off boost, with nobody in the car. When the engine is on boost, your MPG sucks, but you get the power you need to move the car and payload around. Plus those little 4 cylinder engines have to work a lot harder than an naturally aspirated V6 or V8 that makes similar power, I'm kind of dubious of their long term reliability.

Agree. The 2L Turbo in our NX needs to lug around 4000 lbs and when driven leisurely (negative boost), can get a decent up to 23 MPG city. But, when driven a little more lively (0-4 psi boost) which I'd say is "Normal" driving, it easily dips to around 20 MPG, and in a more "spirited" fashion equivalent to about 40% throttle (6-10 psi boost), it goes down further quickly to about 18 MPG. Flooring it would use all the available boost up to 17 psi but never paid attention to the MPGs as I rarely do it.

SW15LS. In my entourage of family and friends, two have owned Mazdas. An '08 Mazda6 and an '05 Mazda3 GT. Granted this is a few years back, but both had major issues with their 2.3L 4-cyl engines needing repair and one full replacement all below 50k miles. In addition, rust has plagued these cars at the time but at least this appears to not be an issue any longer. I'm still weary of long-term reliability with the Mazda engines. Lease OK, but not to own (yet).

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-13-16 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 05:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have one cousin who had a 2009 Mazda 3 to 165,000 miles without any issues at all. Believe it or not...on the original brakes even. Oil changes and tires, that's all he did to it. Have another cousin that had 130,000 miles, no problem. Have a coworker that had a 2008 until 120k, no issues. My brother in law has. A 2014 that's been great. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 11-13-16, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are considering a CX-9 and you are constantly lugging around 6-7 people (which I doubt anyone will or can) and you have all their luggage (which I doubt can be included with 6-7 people) then you clearly have the wrong idea and choice in an SUV. We don't even need to discuss the engine choice of the CX-9

Moving 6-7 people on reg basis will require at minimum a full size body on frame SUV.
Old 11-13-16, 08:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl

BTW just found out that both the LC/LX is built at the same Tahara plant
Yup, along with the Toyota 4Runner .
Old 11-13-16, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you are considering a CX-9 and you are constantly lugging around 6-7 people (which I doubt anyone will or can) and you have all their luggage (which I doubt can be included with 6-7 people) then you clearly have the wrong idea and choice in an SUV. We don't even need to discuss the engine choice of the CX-9

Moving 6-7 people on reg basis will require at minimum a full size body on frame SUV.
Not necessarily. Some of these 3 row crossovers are pretty space efficient when it comes to people, some of them almost similar to a minivan. Taking 6-7 people in one of these would require a luggage solution on the roof rack, where you may be able to get all their stuff in the back of like a Suburban...but its not as difficult as you would think.
Old 11-13-16, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not necessarily. Some of these 3 row crossovers are pretty space efficient when it comes to people, some of them almost similar to a minivan. Taking 6-7 people in one of these would require a luggage solution on the roof rack, where you may be able to get all their stuff in the back of like a Suburban...but its not as difficult as you would think.
The 3rd-row seat on the GM crossover Traverse/Acadia/Enclave series is surprisingly roomy. It was one of the VERY few SUV 3rd-row seats, short of the full-size, body-on-frame class, I could actually sit in with reasonable comfort.
Old 11-13-16, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

These 4 cylinder turbo engines are good at tricking the EPA test, because the EPA tests at very light throttle, off boost, with nobody in the car. When the engine is on boost, your MPG sucks, but you get the power you need to move the car and payload around. Plus those little 4 cylinder engines have to work a lot harder than an naturally aspirated V6 or V8 that makes similar power, I'm kind of dubious of their long term reliability.
FYI, if you load up a V8 SUV with 6-7 people or lots of cargo, you will not get the EPA ratings either. Nobody is tricking anyone, the vast majority of car buyers never load up their cars, trucks, or SUVs and usually just ha e a single driver.
Old 11-13-16, 02:23 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 3rd-row seat on the GM crossover Traverse/Acadia/Enclave series is surprisingly roomy. It was one of the VERY few SUV 3rd-row seats, short of the full-size, body-on-frame class, I could actually sit in with reasonable comfort.
I considered that, wife liked the enclave. However sat in a friend's 5 year old Traverse, and test drove a 2013 CPO Enclave....they age horribly. Wouldn't trust them past 100k miles so had to rule them out based on the reliability factor...
I have 3 Mazda dealers within my vicinity, 2 of them are pretty horrible in terms of reputation to deal with and that does play a factor with vehicle ownership, though I suspect that would only be for warranty/major repair issues.
Old 11-13-16, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Wouldn't trust them past 100k miles so had to rule them out based on the reliability factor...
Buick apparently is very reliable according to CR. I am not a big fan of CR but it sounds odd as other GM brands are not as reliable.
Old 11-13-16, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Buick apparently is very reliable according to CR. I am not a big fan of CR but it sounds odd as other GM brands are not as reliable.
Although Buick as a whole ranks high in overall reliability, as with many manufacturers, Buicks can vary significantly from one model to the next in reliability. Veranos and Encores, for example, have been well above average (partly due to their largely Opel-derived hardware), while some versions of the LaCrosse and Enclave have only been average...they are more traditional GM in their design. One other factor that helps a number of Buicks, regardless of model, is that, with the possible exception of the slow-selling, sport-sedan Regal GS, Buicks, in general, are not driven hard, which cuts down on the amount of potential wear and strain on the vehicle and its parts....retired people generally don't go around drag-racing or canyon-carving LOL.
Old 11-13-16, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There's a difference between being reliable and aging well.
Old 11-13-16, 08:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI, if you load up a V8 SUV with 6-7 people or lots of cargo, you will not get the EPA ratings either. Nobody is tricking anyone, the vast majority of car buyers never load up their cars, trucks, or SUVs and usually just ha e a single driver.
Yeah I know, but something like a V8 Tahoe, the engine doesn't have to work nearly as hard to move the load around like a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine would. I think that was my main point, tiny engine in a big, heavy car means its going to be working a lot harder than a bigger displacement engine with more cylinders. Which makes me dubious about the long term reliability of complex 4 cylinder engines in big SUV's like the Mazda CX-9 and Volvo XC90

Quick Reply: Thoughts for an SUV for the wife