Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on XE, A4, or S3 as daily driver...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 05:18 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Opinions on XE, A4, or S3 as daily driver...

As much as I love Lexus and would jump in a '17 IS if it had a new more fuel-efficient engine, I'm seriously considering the Europeans more than ever this time around.

Looking in the 45K USD price range with priorities being build quality, styling/stance, sporty handling, decent ride, and decent fuel efficiency (>22 MPG city). Considering replacing the HS (great A-to-B city car, but there's no excitement). Reliability is secondary considering how relatively short I keep a car (~2 years).

- Test drove a CLA and it's out. The 2L Turbo is smooth and peppy but ride was quite choppy and interior had some creaks and rattles during the test drive. Car was also cramped and I'm 5'9" average build.

- Not considering a C-class since I just find the styling baby-S-class luxurious-looking, not a bad thing, but I want the sportier look. Coupe is a sexy looking car, but I have the RC F as the 2-door in my stable.

- Test drove an XE 20d. Styling can be sexy with the R-Sport and right set of wheels. The ride and handling are superb, best combination I have experienced in this class. Very impressed with how tight the car felt including the build quality. The interior styling and materials however were so-so while the biggest disappointment was the diesel's refinement. It was noisy, coarse, and worst of all, vibrations were heard and felt through the dash/steering. I wanted so much to love this car, but the NVH during acceleration was Ford Tempo 2.3L 4-banger bad.

- I have yet to test drive an S3 or an A4 (S-Line), but I am impressed with my brother's '16 GTI's smooth power, quality ride and handling which gives me high hopes for the S3. I prefer the S3's more compact sportier looks to the A4's but prefer the A4's nicer interior.

- TLX is out. Boring and generic. Fake glossy wood turns me off. Looks and feels like an Accord.

- 3-series out. Just not a BMW fan. Interiors are spartan and styling is same-old, same-old, and what doesn't help is I see too many of them on the road.

- ATS out. Cheap interior fit/finish.

What do you guys think overall, in particular with the XE 20d? Am I expecting too much from a diesel? Last I remember driving a diesel was years back in a late 90's Passat wagon which never left me with an impression that it was rough. Perhaps my Lexus experience especially with Lexus hybrids has set my expectations too high for NVH, even for luxury cars? Was my experience just an anomaly and should I test drive another one? Any other cars to consider I'm missing? Thanks!
Old 11-05-16, 06:07 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you get an s3 for 45K? i'm thinking if you can, it won't be the prestige model, which means no virtual cockpit. if you can't get the virtual cockpit, you might as well just get the golf r

surprisingly it looks like you can get an a4 premium with quattro and virtual cockpit (under some current Season of Audi package) for just under $45K if you stick to basic color schemes, though i imagine you will have to dealer order something like this. if that is okay with you, that is what i would get of the choices you listed, will be the most comfortable of the choices listed, plus still be fun if you push it (whereas i don't imagine a scenario where a diesel would be fun)
Old 11-05-16, 07:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't know if you've seen it or not, but Car & Driver tested the A4 and gave it a good review overall. They rate it at the top of the segment as they see it. There are good choices on your list.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ro-test-review
Old 11-05-16, 08:09 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the new A4 is a solid car. A little understated but still nice looking with a great interior.

A3/S3 just have too spartan interiors for my taste. They feel more like VWs from inside than Audis. I couldn't tolerate such an interior personally.

XE looks mighty fine with the right options but like all recent Jaguars the interior is a heap of trash. Given how competitive the luxury market is in 2016, I can't believe how badly they cheaped out on the XE, XF, and F-pace. What a shame, absolute deal-breakers for me.
Old 11-05-16, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

What about a Q50?
Old 11-05-16, 11:30 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the only thing you don't like about the Jag is the diesel, why don't you just look at the gasoline counter part?
Old 11-05-16, 11:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Infiniti Q50 always has amazing deals running on it and is a solid car. Otherwise given your opinions I vote A4.
Old 11-05-16, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

In that segment I too would choose the A4
Old 11-05-16, 01:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Drive the Jag with the gas engine, sounds like you really liked it.

Also I know Infiniti has some pretty good deals going on with the Q50. Its a solid car provided you don't order the electric power steering option. Plus they have a 400hp twin turbo version out now, which might be in your budget if you're looking to drop 45k on an Audi.
Old 11-05-16, 04:08 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you like the dynamics of the XE, and can wait a little bit, I'd also throw the Alfa Romeo Giulia into the mix. Superbly powerful 4 cylinder and hands down some of the best dynamics in the segment. Or as others have said, why not try the XE gas variant?
Old 11-05-16, 05:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd go A4....
Old 11-05-16, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
If you like the dynamics of the XE, and can wait a little bit, I'd also throw the Alfa Romeo Giulia into the mix. Superbly powerful 4 cylinder and hands down some of the best dynamics in the segment. Or as others have said, why not try the XE gas variant?
Alfas are great cars, well-styled, and fun to drive. But, even with today's improvements, I wouldn't trust one to get me down the street to the nearest stoplight without breaking down. That can be a PITA, even with a good warranty.
Old 11-05-16, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'd go A4....
Yep....count me in on the A4, too.
Old 11-06-16, 12:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Alfas are great cars, well-styled, and fun to drive. But, even with today's improvements, I wouldn't trust one to get me down the street to the nearest stoplight without breaking down. That can be a PITA, even with a good warranty.
I think it would be worth taking the risk. I know everybody loves to harp on Fiat(and all Italian cars in general) for being unreliable junk, but things have changed since the 1980's. There is a difference between something being kind of slapped together with junky interior(current Fiats) and it being unreliable and leaving you on the side of the road. If you compare reliability from the bad old days of the 60's/70's/80's to today's Fiat and Alfa, well there is no comparison. The companies would've long been out of business if they hadn't gotten their crap together to get to where they are today.

Anyways, back to the Alfa. Its a compelling enough car that I'd buy it and roll the dice on it being reliable. If it isn't, dump it before the warranty runs out and enjoy it for a couple of years. That's kind of the standard practice with German cars now days anyways. Building unreliable cars hasn't stopped BMW, just to use an example.
Old 11-06-16, 02:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i also vote for the a4 with the virtual cockpit. you might be able to find a prestige model if you look hard enough given your price point, but a premium plus is more likely.

Quick Reply: Opinions on XE, A4, or S3 as daily driver...