Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think this promotion was a good idea?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus IS revealed Sriracha Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 09:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
This is the dumbest **it I have ever seen. What a total waist! Lexus you should be embarrassed right now.
Originally Posted by mordecai
What the actual HELL is Lexus thinking? This is something stupid that Taco Bell or Mountain Dew would do? But a "respectable" luxury brand? Are they TRYING to devalue their brand and want them to go down to Acura levels or worse? Someone needs to get fired for this.
Now that I've had a chance to calm down, I'm thinking "Is it really any dumber than the tennis ball Lexus?" Don't get me wrong--it's ridiculous. I suppose the US Open model protects you from dings and dents, but....

https://www.cars.com/articles/2009/0...n-tennis-ball/
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS revealed Sriracha Edition-tennis-lexus.jpg  
Old 11-18-16, 09:17 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Now that I've had a chance to calm down, I'm thinking "Is it really any dumber than the tennis ball Lexus?" Don't get me wrong--it's ridiculous. I suppose the US Open model protects you from dings and dents, but....

https://www.cars.com/articles/2009/0...n-tennis-ball/
While the Tennis IS was probably just as weird, the key difference here is the timing and in general the relevance of the vehicle. Lexus showed the Tennis edition at the US Open, where tennis related things were happening. In which case it kind of made sense. But showing a Sriracha edition IS at the LA Auto Show where the other manufacturers are showing off their new and interesting vehicles? That's just stupid. It doesn't make sense for them to show it off there. The timing is bad, the location is bad. It's just very poorly thought out and doesn't make Lexus look good.
Old 11-18-16, 09:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

There's nothing in the pipeline for them right now. LC is almost a year old at this point and for whatever reason the LS isn't ready yet. If they didn't have a show car they'd literally have nothing new to show in LA.

And why isn't this the right place to promote the car? Huy Fong foods is based in Azusa, CA and they source all of their chilies from Ventura County. If anything, this is the most relevant major auto show to unveil the car.
Old 11-18-16, 09:40 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
There's nothing in the pipeline for them right now. LC is almost a year old at this point and for whatever reason the LS isn't ready yet. If they didn't have a show car they'd literally have nothing new to show in LA.

And why isn't this the right place to promote the car? Huy Fong foods is based in Azusa, CA and they source all of their chilies from Ventura County. If anything, this is the most relevant major auto show to unveil the car.
Hmm true... I didn't think of it that way. Without this there's nothing else to show. But honestly thats kind of Lexus/Toyota own fault if anything. But yeah I guess you could say it's somewhat relative but I doubt anybody there was thinking "Oh I get it, Huy Fong Foods is based in Azusa, CA, This car is totally relevant to our surroundings!" No. They're thinking what pretty much all of us are thinking. "What the heck were they thinking?"

I know not showing anything at all is bad but this isn't any better either. And it only mad Lexus look bad in a way if you ask me. Or if anything, out of ideas. This is something that should be held off for SEMA or some other creative place, or at least somewhere where the general consumer understands why the vehicle is even there...

I mean I don't know. I'm not saying it's a completely stupid idea (although it is very dumb), but I am saying it could have been handled better that's for sure.
Old 11-18-16, 09:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Motor Trend lists it as one of their "Best Cars of the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show".
Lexus had some fun with the custom-built IS featuring Sriracha Red paint with chili pepper-like flakes and green accents, a steering wheel designed to look like it was made of sauce, climate controls with a “Sriracha hot” setting, a trunk stocked with 43 bottles of Sriracha and a key fob dispensing Sriracha at the press of the emergency chili button. No production plans, just good fun. –Alisa Priddle
Some might say the Sriracha IS is out of place at a luxury-automaker’s show stand, but I love this whimsical show car. Lexus really paid attention to the details with this one, and that’s very much a trait you want associated with your brand. The seats with multi-color accents and awesome paint job are two highlights, as is the “SRIRACHA” badge on the trunk lid in the font Lexus uses for all of its badges. Thanks Lexus, for giving jaded automotive journalists (and L.A. auto show public day visitors) something cool and surprising to check out. –Zach Gale
http://www.motortrend.com/news/best-...les-auto-show/
Old 11-18-16, 09:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

The folks that seem the angriest are those that were expecting an IS-F or new engines to be debuted with 2 days worth of hype
Old 11-18-16, 10:26 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HF is actually based in the city of Irwindale not Azusa, and they have been at odds with that city over the "smell". HF even threatened to move to pull a "Toyota" and move to Texas at one point. That's another story itself. I personally feel that the car would make more sense to be unveiled at a foodie or Asiancentric event (because of its cultural roots and how many America is embracing the sauce in their diets). HF has been aggressively marketing the brand, since you can buy all sorts of Sriracha related merchandise (they're doing what Disney and Star Wars do very well).

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-ne...ts-750000-back
Originally Posted by Tro209
Hmm true... I didn't think of it that way. Without this there's nothing else to show. But honestly thats kind of Lexus/Toyota own fault if anything. But yeah I guess you could say it's somewhat relative but I doubt anybody there was thinking "Oh I get it, Huy Fong Foods is based in Azusa, CA, This car is totally relevant to our surroundings!" No. They're thinking what pretty much all of us are thinking. "What the heck were they thinking?"

I know not showing anything at all is bad but this isn't any better either. And it only mad Lexus look bad in a way if you ask me. Or if anything, out of ideas. This is something that should be held off for SEMA or some other creative place, or at least somewhere where the general consumer understands why the vehicle is even there...

I mean I don't know. I'm not saying it's a completely stupid idea (although it is very dumb), but I am saying it could have been handled better that's for sure.
+1
Old 11-18-16, 10:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Ah that's right. Brain fart on location. It's a nice plant if you can get out there, I think they're still offering tours
Old 11-18-16, 11:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I think you guys are taking this waaay too seriously!
If you add Sriracha to everything, then no, this is serious.

Old 11-18-16, 11:59 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah that's right. Brain fart on location. It's a nice plant if you can get out there, I think they're still offering tours
A tour would be cool, since a lot of manufacturing has left the state thanks to our so business friendly state lol. Personally, I don't use the sauce that much, but I understand the appeal to younger eaters; I don't know if I could deal with the smell of the factory though, it would be cool.

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 11-18-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 04:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think CL may be the only place on the internet that is still mad about this.

It wasn't meant to be something that was taken too seriously, obviously by their extremely cheesy and comedic ad.
Old 11-18-16, 04:36 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
I think CL may be the only place on the internet that is still mad about this.

It wasn't meant to be something that was taken too seriously, obviously by their extremely cheesy and comedic ad.
I wouldn't say we're mad. At least I'm not mad anyway. But more of us just trying to grasp the concept of why at the LA Auto show? Either way, after reading the good things Motor Trend said, maybe it wasn't as dumb as I thought it was. In some way it makes sense.... But then again in many other ways it makes no sense and should be punishable by DEATH (Jk)
Old 11-18-16, 06:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe Lexus wants to break through in Thailand.
Old 11-19-16, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Made me LOL, very loudly. Seriously, that visual is just too funny. Much needed with all that's going on in the world, thanks bit.
you're welcome!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder what the drag coefficient is on that bad boy
depends on if it has mustard on it.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Motor Trend lists it as one of their "Best Cars of the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show". http://www.motortrend.com/news/best-...les-auto-show/
reading that article, you can feel how bored the writer is looking for ANYTHING different. well this is different.

There's nothing in the pipeline for them right now. LC is almost a year old at this point ...
a year old and it's not even shipping yet. when is the LC coming out? early next year i believe?
Old 11-20-16, 02:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone come up with why Lexus would do this?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS revealed Sriracha Edition