Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you buy Lexus CPO sight unseen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 07:32 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would you buy Lexus CPO sight unseen?

1. Would you buy a Lexus CPO sight unseen, uninspected? If there is an issue, I can take it to my local Lexus dealership to get it corrected, right?
2. Would you have the Lexus dealership transport it or would you arrange for 3rd party transport? If 3rd party, any recommendations?
Old 11-16-16, 07:55 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No. I would not buy a new car sight unseen. If the dealership delivers, make the sale contingent on when you actually get to see the car when it is delivered.
Old 11-16-16, 08:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Personally, I would not, though many people do. If you do go that route, you could hire someone local to inspect it and give you an inspection report before buying.

As for being serviced by your local dealer, yes for warranty work, but they would not do things like deal with undisclosed scratches/damage, etc.
Old 11-16-16, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

1. hell no. from what i've heard, 'cpo' does vary a lot. as far as 'an issue', depends what it is. if it's covered under the warranty sure, but what if the paint was ruined from abuse? the dealer is not going to fix it.
Old 11-16-16, 10:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
1. hell no. from what i've heard, 'cpo' does vary a lot. as far as 'an issue', depends what it is. if it's covered under the warranty sure, but what if the paint was ruined from abuse? the dealer is not going to fix it.
+1. I've seen variations on CPO Lexus vehicles and if you're OCD as I am on squeaks and rattles, a CPO vehicle may not have those addressed as well as general "feel" you only get from an actual test drive.
Old 11-16-16, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nope. The CPO checklist itself is quite long, and covers some 160-170 different items. But, from my experience, it is as much marketing and hype as it is reality. Overall, CPOs usually are in better shape than regular used vehicles, but that doesn't mean they always conform to the CPO ideal. For one thing, the checklist itself is so long that the average dealership, in addition to its regular service needs, probably doesn't have the time, extra technicians, or resources to actually do all of that to every CPO they put on sale.....my guess is that they just do what they think are the most obvious needs on each car, not all 160 items. I've actually sampled some so-called CPOs not only with things like cracked dashboards, visible body scratches/dents, ripped upholstery, water/moisture leaks, and things on the road like shimmies in the tires, pulling left/right, clunky transmission shifts, etc.......

So.....I'm not necessarily saying don't buy a CPO........just check it as you would any other used vehicle.
Old 11-16-16, 04:37 PM
xmike714x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i picked up a CPO sight unseen. Found it out in at a dealership in another state, but then again this car only had 14,818 miles and it was a 2016. Only had 1 scratch in the back but i wasnt too worried about it when i picked it up.
Old 11-16-16, 07:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) Nope
2) CPO just means it has some additional warranty. CPO cars could have hidden accident damage that wasnt reported so theres that or the dealer just doesnt care since they know a particular car tends to move well. The CPO checklist is just something the dealership signs and moves on lol. Not saying this is the case with every single dealership, but just setting your expectations to reality
3) Depends on the provider, but would want names, insurance coverage etc
Old 11-17-16, 09:20 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope. The CPO checklist itself is quite long, and covers some 160-170 different items. But, from my experience, it is as much marketing and hype as it is reality. Overall, CPOs usually are in better shape than regular used vehicles, but that doesn't mean they always conform to the CPO ideal. For one thing, the checklist itself is so long that the average dealership, in addition to its regular service needs, probably doesn't have the time, extra technicians, or resources to actually do all of that to every CPO they put on sale.....my guess is that they just do what they think are the most obvious needs on each car, not all 160 items. I've actually sampled some so-called CPOs not only with things like cracked dashboards, visible body scratches/dents, ripped upholstery, water/moisture leaks, and things on the road like shimmies in the tires, pulling left/right, clunky transmission shifts, etc.......

So.....I'm not necessarily saying don't buy a CPO........just check it as you would any other used vehicle.
Talk about it. I got a CPO Lexus with 40k on the odo and 2 months later the belts were screeching. I had to invoke the fear of lawyers with the Lexus dealer here to make them fix it.