Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 01:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Looks nice, Alfa always produce beautiful cars.

So is this same size as CX5? If so, 505HP in this little thing would make it a rocket!
The roof line looks a lot lower than a CX-5.
Old 12-03-16, 01:31 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful in any trim. The shape is very reminiscent of the Levante.

Unfortunately, like the Giulia, it's interior is an entire generation behind the competition in design, quality, and technology. You've really got to love the way it looks and drives to dismiss those other shortcomings. The F-pace is also flawed in this manner.

I've actually found all the recent Alfas, Maseratis, and Jags to be great looking cars and SUVs that just kind of suck in every other way. At the end of the day, the most solid and well-engineered luxury vehicles come from Germany (with Lexus not far behind).

Last edited by BrownPride; 12-03-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The roof line looks a lot lower than a CX-5.
So a CX-4 from the Chinese market

Old 12-03-16, 08:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like a mazda - maybe you guys are impressed with the italian words.
My mistake -- it cannot be Mazda-based, since it is RWD and not FWD.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's a CUV, this is what CUVs look like
Looks like a rather generic Euro-hatch to me. (Flame away!)
Old 12-03-16, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
My mistake -- it cannot be Mazda-based, since it is RWD and not FWD.
True, but regardless of the drive wheels, it can look like a CX-5.

Given the current popularity of SUVs, it will be interesting to see whether it can actually sell in the U.S., where the Alfa badge has about as much appeal as overcooked pasta.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-16 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 09:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but regardless of the drive wheels, it can look like a CX-5.

Given the current popularity of SUVs, it will be interesting to see whether it can actually sell in the U.S., where the Alfa badge has about as much appeal as overcooked pasta.
I don't think Alfa Romeo carries the negative connotation you think it does. It's going to be a niche luxury brand just like Jaguar.
Old 12-03-16, 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't think Alfa Romeo carries the negative connotation you think it does. It's going to be a niche luxury brand just like Jaguar.
Very niche at best....although, of course, we are living in an age of SUVs, which could boost the Stelvio's sales. Alfa does carry a negative connotation in unreliability. That's one of the things that forced it out of the U.S. market 20 years ago....along with low sales and excessive, costly government regulations. But, of course, things can change in 20 years....as Hyundai and Kia have proved so well.
Old 12-04-16, 02:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Very niche at best....although, of course, we are living in an age of SUVs, which could boost the Stelvio's sales. Alfa does carry a negative connotation in unreliability. That's one of the things that forced it out of the U.S. market 20 years ago....along with low sales and excessive, costly government regulations. But, of course, things can change in 20 years....as Hyundai and Kia have proved so well.
Why do you say very? The Giulia and Stelvio are right at the heart of 2 very popular segments. People who want something stylish and different than the normal will definitely be drawn their way.

I'm well aware of the reasons Alfa Romeo left the U.S. market and the reputation for unreliability, but that doesn't mean Alfa Romeo has the appeal of "overcooked pasta." It is still seen as a upscale brand and a bit of an "exotic" choice in the market. Jaguar and Land Rover have never had a reputation for reliability yet are doing just fine. People are gobbling up Grand Cherokee's like there's no tomorrow and its spotty reliability has been well documented. For the record, I seriously doubt these Alfas will have high reliability but I do think they will be a compelling alternative to the norm. They're just Italian Jaguars in my mind.
Old 12-04-16, 03:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you say very? The Giulia and Stelvio are right at the heart of 2 very popular segments. People who want something stylish and different than the normal will definitely be drawn their way.

I'm well aware of the reasons Alfa Romeo left the U.S. market and the reputation for unreliability, but that doesn't mean Alfa Romeo has the appeal of "overcooked pasta."
OK, partly I could have used a better term, and partly you misunderstood me. What I meant was not that the brand has no appeal among its "Alfisti" enthusiasts (it does), but that it is not, and probably never will be, a mainstream brand in the U.S. I agree, though, that the Stelvio is likely to outsell the 4C.

It is still seen as a upscale brand and a bit of an "exotic" choice in the market. Jaguar and Land Rover have never had a reputation for reliability yet are doing just fine. People are gobbling up Grand Cherokee's like there's no tomorrow and its spotty reliability has been well documented. For the record, I seriously doubt these Alfas will have high reliability but I do think they will be a compelling alternative to the norm. They're just Italian Jaguars in my mind.
Yes, Consumer Reports has panned Grand Cherokee reliability. But general experience with them by owners, here on Car Chat, has been mixed...and actually more on the good side more than bad, with reliability. Steve and Bitkahuna, for example, were generally quite pleased with theirs. And I found every one of the present-generation (non-SRT) versions I've sampled quite pleasant to sit in and drive.

I wouldn't quite call the Stelvio an Italian Jaguar (that would probably be a better term for the Maserati SUV), but I agree it will certainly be an unusual alternative to the norm.
Old 12-04-16, 09:02 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Why is it that people can claim the spindle grille to be ugly but NO ONE will say that the Alfa Romeo horse collar grille is ugly. This must be the absolutely worse grille design, apart from the Edsel.

Come on, Alfa, where is your horse? Horse... your carriage awaits.

Old 12-04-16, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why is it that people can claim the spindle grille to be ugly but NO ONE will say that the Alfa Romeo horse collar grille is ugly.
Well, some people may simply disagree about the Alfa grilles being ugly. Personally, it's not one of my favorites as to its general shape, but at least it is not way oversized like on some makes.
Old 12-04-16, 11:05 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

OK, partly I could have used a better term, and partly you misunderstood me. What I meant was not that the brand has no appeal among its "Alfisti" enthusiasts (it does), but that it is not, and probably never will be, a mainstream brand in the U.S. I agree, though, that the Stelvio is likely to outsell the 4C.
Well I would hope so, the 4c has a very narrow appeal. Not many people are out there looking to purchase a bare bones sports car with manual steering and scant sound deadening. This will have much more mass appeal as it will be equipped with similar technology to its competitors and be expected to drive just as nicely a sporting bent. The dynamic target was the Porsche Macan. There really isn't anything particularly unique about the Stelvio that should prevent it from being considered in comparison to other brands, outside perhaps the limited but growing dealership network.

Yes, Consumer Reports has panned Grand Cherokee reliability. But general experience with them by owners, here on Car Chat, has been mixed...and actually more on the good side more than bad, with reliability. Steve and Bitkahuna, for example, were generally quite pleased with theirs. And I found every one of the present-generation (non-SRT) versions I've sampled quite pleasant to sit in and drive.
The extremely anecdotal evidence in this forum is just that, so I don't really see that as a point of discussion. And no one has ever aid they don't drive well, I was purely talking about reliability. Jaguars and Land Rovers were pleasant to sit and drive too, didn't make them any better after purchase from a reliability discussion. My point was that reliability isn't the paramount concern for all consumers.

I wouldn't quite call the Stelvio an Italian Jaguar (that would probably be a better term for the Maserati SUV), but I agree it will certainly be an unusual alternative to the norm.
You missed my point- the same type of buyer that purchases a Jaguar would buy a Alfa Romeo. Alfa Romeo and Maserati have the same type of buyer just at different price points, for the record. And if we really want to go there, the Jaguar F-Pace is smaller and much cheaper than a Maserati Levante. It is closer in size and will be far closer in price to the Stelvio. Both the Stelvio and F-Pace are BMW X3 competitors.

Why is it that people can claim the spindle grille to be ugly but NO ONE will say that the Alfa Romeo horse collar grille is ugly. This must be the absolutely worse grille design, apart from the Edsel.

Come on, Alfa, where is your horse? Horse... your carriage awaits.

-snip-
You could have at least posted a production picture instead of that inaccurate photoshop.
Old 12-04-16, 11:57 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

You could have at least posted a production picture instead of that inaccurate photoshop.
There is a lot of hypocrisy and this is a perfect example right here. You ask me to post a more flattering photo of the Alfa horse collar, yet when people post pictures of the spindle grille on the new RX, taken with a fish-eye lens from waist level, they are never asked to post a more flattering photo.

Styling is subjective. What some people find ugly, others like.
Old 12-04-16, 12:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

There is a lot of hypocrisy and this is a perfect example right here. You ask me to post a more flattering photo of the Alfa horse collar, yet when people post pictures of the spindle grille on the new RX, taken with a fish-eye lens from waist level, they are never asked to post a more flattering photo.

Styling is subjective. What some people find ugly, others like.
No, this is a completely different situation. You posted a picture of a car that doesn't exist. I don't care about what angle the car is posted at or if you think it looks like a glorified Mazda CX-5. All I asked was for you to post a picture of the production Stelvio, not a photoshop that includes styling elements that aren't even on the actual real car. If you can't see the difference then I believe you're being willfully dense.
Old 12-06-16, 08:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with TangoRed. Alfa and Jaguar are targeting the same customers, and are both entering the same two high volume luxury segments with the XE/Giulia and the F-PACE/Stelvio. Something non-100K unit 3 Series and C-Class. Something that has some styling flair, and the premise of sharpened driving dynamics.

The Giulia has driving dynamics nailed, and with much of these segments heavily catered towards leasing customers, questions about long-term reliability as fairly moot at this point. That will be answered within the first few years and will impact whether or not there will be demand for the off-lease/CPO vehicles.