Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

All one has to do is talk to people who buy luxury vehicles to see that pedigree is really important.

As for "volume models only work FWD", is that why BMW and Mercedes sell 5k+ RWD 5 Series and E Classes every month? How about 6-7k RWD C Classes every month? How about 8-10k RWD 3 Series every month? Volume certainly can and does work with RWD vehicles LOL

Issue is in my experience luxury consumers get to a point where they "graduate" on to real premium platformed luxury cars. Theres a difference, and consumers can feel that. For instance I am done buying Toyota derived platform transverse Lexus vehicles for myself, so no more ES, RX, etc. I'm not interested in an SRX or a Infiniti QX60, I have gotten used to real premium longditudinal platform cars...I'd rather just keep the proper car I have now than go back down to an economy derived platform. More consumers are like me than you think, when I pay a big premium for a luxury car I want a real legitimate luxury car...not a rebadged Santa Fe. Hopefully Hyundai gets this.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-20-16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 12:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just because Cadillac and Lexus do it doesn't mean it's the only way to go. If they're trying to make people take them very seriously as a luxury brand from the get go it's helpful to bring RWD SUV's to the table.
I have no doubt that they could bring a RWD to the table and it would probably do well for their brand prestige. But if you look at Lexus, the GX and LX are both 50K+ models. They will still need a Santa Fe FWD based volume model, Hyundai is not going to be able to get a RWD crossover model to market for less than $50K and have it as a volume leader. They will get eaten alive by the price competitiveness of Cadillac, Lexus, Acura, and Lincoln which dominate with volume.
Old 11-20-16, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai is able to get a RWD luxury sedan to market for $41,000 base...so why can't they get an RWD crossover model to market for less than $50k? The GX and LX aren't the right demographic for them to go after, they need to look at the X5, F Pace, ML type vehicle.

They're not chasing volume, they've consistently said that.
Old 11-20-16, 01:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no doubt that they could bring a RWD to the table and it would probably do well for their brand prestige. But if you look at Lexus, the GX and LX are both 50K+ models. They will still need a Santa Fe FWD based volume model, Hyundai is not going to be able to get a RWD crossover model to market for less than $50K and have it as a volume leader. They will get eaten alive by the price competitiveness of Cadillac, Lexus, Acura, and Lincoln which dominate with volume.
What strange world are you living in? Looking outside of the Lexus lineup may offer you some broader perspective. There are definitely RWD crossovers on the market now for less than $50k. And again, strict volume isn't the name of the game here. It's as simple as that. Maybe it's the USD prices that's causing confusion?

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Hyundai is able to get a RWD luxury sedan to market for $41,000 base...so why can't they get an RWD crossover model to market for less than $50k? The GX and LX aren't the right demographic for them to go after, they need to look at the X5, F Pace, ML type vehicle.

They're not chasing volume, they've consistently said that.
Right. They'll be going after the GLC/X3/Q5 segment first, ML/X5/etc. segment after unless the schedule I saw gets adjusted. And you're right on the money about price/demographic. The Mercedes GLC starts at 39k and the GLE at 52k. Genesis will easily be able to pull in under those starting prices.
Old 11-20-16, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm excited to see what they come up with...
Old 11-20-16, 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What strange world are you living in? Looking outside of the Lexus lineup may offer you some broader perspective. There are definitely RWD crossovers on the market now for less than $50k. And again, strict volume isn't the name of the game here. It's as simple as that. Maybe it's the USD prices that's causing confusion?.
No need to get personal. There are no RWD SUV crossovers from Lexus or Cadillac that are less than 50K. Same thing with Lincoln, Acura. Like I said earlier, they need volume to survive in this segment.

Right. They'll be going after the GLC/X3/Q5 segment first, ML/X5/etc. segment after unless the schedule I saw gets adjusted. And you're right on the money about price/demographic. The Mercedes GLC starts at 39k and the GLE at 52k. Genesis will easily be able to pull in under those starting prices.
No they will not. They will be targeting Lexus, Cadillac and Acura crossovers.
Old 11-20-16, 02:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because Lexus and Cadillac don't offer one doesn't mean Genesis can't or won't.
Old 11-20-16, 02:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

No need to get personal. There are no RWD SUV crossovers from Lexus or Cadillac that are less than 50K. Same thing with Lincoln, Acura. Like I said earlier, they need volume to survive in this segment.

No they will not. They will be targeting Lexus, Cadillac and Acura crossovers.
Yeah see here's our issue. You seem convinced that this brand is seeing Cadillac, Lexus, and Acura as their aspirational main competitors. Genesis executives have publicly said in the near term they want Hyundai owners to trade up, bring in some Japanese car buyers, and draw in non-luxury buyers in the near term. They've studied Lexus extensively, which has also been stated publicly; but aspirationally, they want to be near the same playing field as the euro brands. Genesis wants to be a true global luxury brand.

Also I want to point out you commenting on Cadillac and Lexus not having RWD crossovers under $50k is a bit of powerless point. Lexus and Cadillac don't have crossovers period that start past that price point. They have BOF SUV's...which Genesis isn't modeling their lineup after.

They've also publicly said they're hoping to sell 30-90k units a year as the brand begins to ramp up. Again, volume isn't key right now.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-20-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is "muted" and not "in your face"?
Yes, I'll agree the 2017 version of the ES grille is not as muted as the 2015-2016 (which was split by a half-bar/grille)...but it still is nothing like the new RX350, which, IMO, looks my neighbor's Bulldog LOL.

Old 11-20-16, 04:26 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I'll agree the 2017 version of the ES grille is not as muted as the 2015-2016 (which was split by a half-bar/grille)...but it still is nothing like the new RX350, which, IMO, looks my neighbor's Bulldog LOL.

I break my neck every time I see the RX F-Sport. I think it's beautifully aggressive. It's a good thing we all personal preference.
Old 11-20-16, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Is there anybody here that actually likes how the new Lexus spindle grilles look? .
My neighbor's bulldog would probably like it LOL.

Old 11-20-16, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think it's beautifully aggressive. It's a good thing we all personal preference.

Agreed. And regardless of what one thinks of the RX's grille (or floating roof), it's an excellent vehicle under the skin.
Old 11-21-16, 06:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Also I want to point out you commenting on Cadillac and Lexus not having RWD crossovers under $50k is a bit of powerless point. Lexus and Cadillac don't have crossovers period that start past that price point. They have BOF SUV's...which Genesis isn't modeling their lineup after..
Actually, my comments about the $50K crossover are very powerful, and this is exactly why you are going to see Genesis make a bread and butter Santa Fe derived SUV for the Genesis brand that will be based on a platform that is FWD. This model will be a $40K equivalent to a RX or SRX. For economic reasons, Hyundai will not be able to bring a RWD SUV model to market that starts for less than an SRX or RX, it will simply cost too much. Add in $5K for a 4WD option of a RWD vehicle and you have a vehicle that will not sell as it will be more money than all of the competitors.

If Genesis make an SUV that starts North of $50K, then I could see it being a RWD model, but I doubt they will pull it off.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-21-16 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 07:12 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Actually, my comments about the $50K crossover are very powerful, and this is exactly why you are going to see Genesis make a bread and butter Santa Fe derived SUV for the Genesis brand that will be based on a platform that is FWD. This model will be a $40K equivalent to a RX or SRX. If Genesis make an SUV that starts North of $50K, then I could see it being a RWD model, but I doubt they will pull it off.

LOL. No they are not. The interviews with the Genesis executives are online, there's even one in MotorTrend that outlines they'll be based on the G70 and next-gen G80 platforms.
Old 11-21-16, 07:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. They've studied Lexus extensively, which has also been stated publicly.
There is no need for them to study Lexus extensively, just watch they are doing. The bread and butter stuff under $50K is all platform shared will the more expensive cars (not suvs) have their own dedicated platforms. LX and GX are simply Toyota SUVS that are made for Lexus. No different than Navigator/Expedition or Escalade/Tahoe

but aspirationally, they want to be near the same playing field as the euro brands. Genesis wants to be a true global luxury brand.
What they aspire to do and what reality is are two different things. Genesis will be a Lexus/Cadillac/Acura competitor.

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced