Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
That said, I also think it wouldn't be a bad move to have an entry-level SUV based on an FWD platform. Infiniti--a brand that has been RWD-only since they discontinued the reprehensible G20 in 2002 and the rebadged Maxima I35 two years later--seems to be doing well with the QX60, and obviously the RX has been making a killing for almost two decades now.
An entry level FWD SUV or a mid size SUV is going to have be FWD based if Genesis wants to have a chance in that segment. Building it RWD is going to add cost and will make it more expensive to sell. The German SUVS are already priced at a premium, this is not going to work for Genesis. A large 3 row SUV could absolutely have a RWD design and a plus 50K price tag. That will work for sure. But I have to sat that it also makes no economic sense for Hyundai to green light two separate platforms for Hyundai mid size SUV and a Genesis mid size SUV.
Old 11-21-16, 01:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This logic doesn't make sense. "Hyundai is not undercutting the Germans with the Genesis brand. They are undercutting Lexus". If Lexus is cheaper than the Germans (it is), and Genesis is undercutting Lexus...then clearly they are also undercutting the Germans...
Right...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
An entry level FWD SUV or a mid size SUV is going to have be FWD based if Genesis wants to have a chance in that segment. Building it RWD is going to add cost and will make it more expensive to sell. The German SUVS are already priced at a premium, this is not going to work for Genesis. A large 3 row SUV could absolutely have a RWD design and a plus 50K price tag. That will work for sure. But I have to sat that it also makes no economic sense for Hyundai to green light two separate platforms for Hyundai mid size SUV and a Genesis mid size SUV.
1. It makes plenty of economic sense because the platform is shared with the sedan. It would be more dumb to have the sedan sitting on a bespoke platform.
2. I'm pretty confident Genesis will be able to squeeze in under the Germans in MSRP. They'll do the usual and just make sure it comes packed with options and, much like the G80 and G90, limit customization.
3. Regardless of what you think makes sense or not, that ship as sailed. There is no FWD SUV on the horizon. The deed is done.

EDIT: Also please note the pricing of Infiniti's RWD SUV's. They're old now, but they prove it can be done.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-21-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Right...
3. Regardless of what you think makes sense or not, that ship as sailed. There is no FWD SUV on the horizon. The deed is done.
Perhaps so, but Jill still has a point. RWD SUVs are indeed a pretty tough sell....just look a their sales numbers, compared to the millions of FWD/AWD SUVs and CUVs sold each year. If Genesis does want to go with a reasonably large FWD/AWD 3-row seat SUV for any reason, the basic tooling and plans for the recently-discontinued Hyundai Veracruz are probably still available. And the Veracruz was pretty plush and comfortable.....it wouldn't take much money spent on either interior or exterior to easily bring it up to Genesis standards. The only significant problem I remember encountering in my (former) Veracruz review was numb, bus-like steering, which, again, could probably be easily dealt with by some re-programming and re-tuning.
Old 11-21-16, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

They're not a tough sell at all. People would still buy the RX if it were a rear biased setup, tons of people buy the X5 and X3, Mercedes does very well with the GLE and GLC. The reason the RX is based off the Camry platform is because Toyota is cheap, it would be a better vehicle if it were off of the GS/IS platform, but that wouldn't be as profitable for Toyota.

People don't seek out these CUVs because they are FWD based. They buy them because they don't know any better, and they're a good package at a good price.

As enthusiasts we should want to see premium car companies want better, and it's exciting that Genesis does.
Old 11-21-16, 04:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps so, but Jill still has a point. RWD SUVs are indeed a pretty tough sell....just look a their sales numbers, compared to the millions of FWD/AWD SUVs and CUVs sold each year. If Genesis does want to go with a reasonably large FWD/AWD 3-row seat SUV for any reason, the basic tooling and plans for the recently-discontinued Hyundai Veracruz are probably still available. And the Veracruz was pretty plush and comfortable.....it wouldn't take much money spent on either interior or exterior to easily bring it up to Genesis standards. The only significant problem I remember encountering in my (former) Veracruz review was numb, bus-like steering, which, again, could probably be easily dealt with by some re-programming and re-tuning.
-Which brings me back to my point of they're not looking for volume starting out. It's obvious that a FWD crossover will get you the most volume when priced relatively low and offering size as a trading point.
-The Veracruz platform is 9 years old and would be an awful starting point. It's not stiff enough, it's not big enough, and would need to be thoroughly reingeneered to meet today's safety standards. It would also need to be made to accept a modern electrical architecture. A gussied up Santa Fe would make sense if they were going to go down that route. Reviving an old platform would be a suicide wish for a company trying to be a legitimate luxury car manufacturer.
Old 11-21-16, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

-Which brings me back to my point of they're not looking for volume starting out.
Don't believe everything you read from executives. What do you think they are going to say? "we have two rebadged Hyundai models right now and the new ones are coming that will be based off of Hyundai model platforms"....Hyundai will make a FWD bread and butter SUV that will priced in the ballpark of the RX/SRX/MDX and MKX, it will come from the Santa Fe. You may not believe it but it will happen. Add up the sales of all these and you will have your answer as to why they are going to do it. Sure, there might even be a full size 3 row RWD model, but when dealers start demanding volume, Hyundai is going to have to deliver. As for the cars, I am not disputing anything about RWD.
Old 11-21-16, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Remember the dealers are also Hyundai dealers. They have Hyundai for the volume.
Old 11-21-16, 05:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Don't believe everything you read from executives. What do you think they are going to say? "we have two rebadged Hyundai models right now and the new ones are coming that will be based off of Hyundai model platforms"....Hyundai will make a FWD bread and butter SUV that will priced in the ballpark of the RX/SRX/MDX and MKX, it will come from the Santa Fe. You may not believe it but it will happen. Add up the sales of all these and you will have your answer as to why they are going to do it. Sure, there might even be a full size 3 row RWD model, but when dealers start demanding volume, Hyundai is going to have to deliver. As for the cars, I am not disputing anything about RWD.
So in the face of proof of what's coming up to 2020/2021 you then decide that you still must be right. Do you know how long it takes to deliver a car, even when it's spun off another platform? They would need to start it now for it to be delivered by 2020, and that's assuming it gets top priority. Nowhere on the timeline though...so if they decided to do it 5+ years from now sure. But it's not hitting the market anywhere in the near future.

And to answer your question, yes the executives would admit it will be FWD. Cadillac did as much when the XT5 came to the market as the SRX replacement. The fact that you think they're blatantly lying about the 2 SUV's being on RWD platforms is just bizarre.
Old 11-21-16, 05:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

And to answer your dealer question, the Genesis GM thinks there's already too many dealers. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-usa-dealers/
Old 11-21-16, 06:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So in the face of proof of what's coming up to 2020/2021 you then decide that you still must be right. Do you know how long it takes to deliver a car, even when it's spun off another platform? They would need to start it now for it to be delivered by 2020, and that's assuming it gets top priority. Nowhere on the timeline though...so if they decided to do it 5+ years from now sure. But it's not hitting the market anywhere in the near future.

And to answer your question, yes the executives would admit it will be FWD. Cadillac did as much when the XT5 came to the market as the SRX replacement. The fact that you think they're blatantly lying about the 2 SUV's being on RWD platforms is just bizarre.
You have posted no proof, you have posted a few articles of what some execs said, nothing much there. Its mostly fluff stuff made for PR. You really think a Hyundai exec is going to tell you everything?
And I don't think they are blatantly lying about 2 SUVs being on RWD platforms. I just believe Hyundai has not announced yet that there will be a FWD Santa Fe based bread and butter SUV made for the RX/MKX/SRX crowd.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-21-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And to answer your dealer question, the Genesis GM thinks there's already too many dealers. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-usa-dealers/
Genesis dealers would sell a lot more cars if they had a RX type crossover SUV.
Old 11-21-16, 06:12 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

You have posted no proof, you have posted a few articles of what some execs said, nothing much there. Its mostly fluff stuff made for PR.
And I don't think they are blatantly lying about 2 SUVs being on RWD platforms. I just believe Hyundai has not announced yet that there will be a FWD Santa Fe based bread and butter SUV made for the RX/MKX/SRX crowd.
Oh ok right...that makes a lot of sense... Executive interviews are some of the best ways to get a glimpse of what's coming, especially when they're on industry news sites like auto news. Well alrighty then. I'll leave you waiting for that FWD SUV announcement.
Old 11-21-16, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oh ok right...that makes a lot of sense... Executive interviews are some of the best ways to get a glimpse of what's coming, especially when they're on industry news sites like auto news. Well alrighty then. I'll leave you waiting for that FWD SUV announcement.
Sounds good, just remember do not believe everything they say
Old 11-21-16, 07:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Lexsctjill, you keep mentioning a genesis version of the santa fe, but hyundai's other division kia has the well regarded sorrento as well.

they could also decide to ignore the fwd stigma by only offering an awd suv, a la audi.

my choices last time around were between 3 fwd suv's and 1 rwd. I ended up buying the rwd one but it wasn't much of a factor.
Old 11-21-16, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They're not a tough sell at all. People would still buy the RX if it were a rear biased setup, tons of people buy the X5 and X3, Mercedes does very well with the GLE and GLC. The reason the RX is based off the Camry platform is because Toyota is cheap, it would be a better vehicle if it were off of the GS/IS platform, but that wouldn't be as profitable for Toyota.

People don't seek out these CUVs because they are FWD based. They buy them because they don't know any better, and they're a good package at a good price.

As enthusiasts we should want to see premium car companies want better, and it's exciting that Genesis does.
Totally agree. The average consumer has no idea what the difference is between FWD and RWD or the advantages/disadvantages.

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced