Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What color (s) should one consider for a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 06:36 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of cars now have the lower rear cladding in black plastic. My A4 has it. Even the 535i M Sport has it.
Attached Thumbnails What color (s) should one consider for a new car?-535-i.jpg   What color (s) should one consider for a new car?-bmw-5er-f10-f11-m-sportpaket-tuning-3d-design-17-750x500.jpg  
Old 12-18-16, 07:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Lots of cars now have the lower rear cladding in black plastic. My A4 has it. Even the 535i M Sport has it.
It is more of a fashion statement than a statement of cost-cutting.
Old 12-18-16, 08:00 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

USB lexus paint on my ISF was a pleasure to clean. it always looked good even when dirty. very happy with lexus paint quality on that car. no swirls were ever visible and very easy to wash and dry.
Old 12-18-16, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It is more of a fashion statement than a statement of cost-cutting.
The contrast is a fashion statement. Bare plastic is cost cutting. For instance my LS has a black lower rear valence, but it's gloss painted black. ES is raw plastic.
Old 12-19-16, 05:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

For color, simply put, I avoid white as it is, well, devoid of color to my eyes. It just doesn't excite me unless there's a right mix of shades, tint, wheels, and other contrasts both in and out of the car.

In short, I typically enjoy vibrant colors despite their higher maintenance. Car has to excite me, period, otherwise it's gone - and color plays a big part. Case in point, my Scuba Blue A4 on winter rims is far more exciting (to me) than this non-metallic white A4 loaner I got the other day (no tints, plain winter rims, etc).

Old 12-19-16, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For color, simply put, I avoid white as it is, well, devoid of color to my eyes. It just doesn't excite me unless there's a right mix of shades, tint, wheels, and other contrasts both in and out of the car.
Yes, regular appliance-white can be boring, but the Pearl Oyster White, if done correctly, can be one of the classiest paint jobs in the business.
Old 12-19-16, 07:17 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you refering to true plastic as such, or the softer vinyl/rubber compounds used on many bumpers nowadays? The softer, more flexible material is often used so that if the bumper is only lightly tapped and not pushed in too hard, the material will rebound some and minimize the amount of damage done and need for a body shop, though there may be some cosmetic damage and cracking done to the paint.
no, it's hard plastic. it has no place on a luxury car, but there it is. as dseag mentioned above, it's also found on class competitors in the same area.
Old 12-19-16, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
no, it's hard plastic. it has no place on a luxury car, but there it is. as dseag mentioned above, it's also found on class competitors in the same area.
I agree 100%.
Old 12-19-16, 07:20 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, regular appliance-white can be boring, but the Pearl Oyster White, if done correctly, can be one of the classiest paint jobs in the business.
i agree with you in that pearl white is one of the classiest colors that one can select on a luxury car; any car, really. there's a world of difference between flat white and pearl/metallic white.
Old 12-19-16, 02:07 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Just about anything but BLACK. Really like the new pearl whites and the Atomic silver.
Old 12-20-16, 04:24 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you haven't touched upon is resale value. Bright interesting colors are cute and all, but are much harder to sell and I find typically go for a discount relative to their more muted peers. I owned a red and yellow car before and they simply would not move at similar prices relative to their more common, perhaps dull peers (blacks, silver, white). Also, certain colors age quickly... that solar yellow IS300 (a color combo I also owned) might have looked fresh in 2001, but started to look rather silly in 2011.

A red/yellow Ferrari or Lotus perhaps will retain that vibe for many years to come, and maybe even that orange GS-F, but any bright flashy color IMO really does not belong on a non-high performance vehicle and you'll pay for it down the line when either the dealer or a CL buyer low ***** you for the color. That said, a car can be a very personal and emotional purchase, and resell value is not the be all and end all of vehicle purchase decision making.
Old 12-20-16, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by svelt
One thing you haven't touched upon is resale value. Bright interesting colors are cute and all, but are much harder to sell
Not in my experience. In fact, the 2001 Solar Yellow IS300 I owned was one of the easiest cars I ever had to re-sell. Everybody who looked at it liked it.

Also, certain colors age quickly... that solar yellow IS300 (a color combo I also owned) might have looked fresh in 2001, but started to look rather silly in 2011.
It certainly didn't look silly in 2006, five years later, when I sold it.

In fact, take a look at the Mustard Yellow and Mariner (Electric Blue) that BMW is still selling on the M3. Nothing silly about them.