Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Kia dealer service experience...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Steve and I are in the relatively high-cost D.C. area. Although vehicle list-prices usually don't change with location, service prices often do. Prices for a lot of things here, in this area, are probably going to be higher than what you are used to seeing in FL.
my guestimate was only about 10% off so no real difference.

Always nice to have free maintenance...but, on most modern vehicles, not much is usually done in the first two years outside of oil changes, tire-rotations, and a few underbody inspections.
tell steve that.

steve, since brakes are a 'wear item' almost never covered by warranty, dealers lick their chops if a customer wants 'help' with that. About the parking sensor though, isn't that covered under warranty?
Old 11-21-16, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

tell steve that. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Yeah really!

steve, since brakes are a 'wear item' almost never covered by warranty, dealers lick their chops if a customer wants 'help' with that. About the parking sensor though, isn't that covered under warranty?
Apparently they soaked me good enough on the maintenance they didn't even try to diagnose my brakes LOL

Yeah the sensor will be covered under warranty. I'll make a firm case for them to cover the brakes too, don't know how successful I'll be.
Old 11-22-16, 05:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

I've only ever seen brake "wear components" covered by BMW and Audi--regardless of the cause of the issue--so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even other issues are sometimes a problem. I had a Ford Ranger back in the day where the front brakes dragged. Took it in to the dealer, which involved a 10 minute drive on the expressway, after which I pulled in by downshifting and using the parking brake. So the front brakes were never applied once in the 15 minutes before I arrived. I pointed out to the tech who checked me in that the front wheels were so hot that you couldn't touch them, and the chrome was starting to discolor. The response was "that's normal". After trying on 3 separate occasions, I gave up. Front brakes completely failed (backing plate grinding on rotor) at 11k.

I hope you have better luck than I did on your next attempt, but I'd honestly be surprised if that was the case. You're going to wind up replacing those rotors yourself, or paying someone (dealer or otherwise) to do it.
Old 11-22-16, 06:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up. Had I taken it in around 8k miles when it first started I'd have had more luck. I've had Lexus cover warped/glazed rotors early in life, and I've had them refuse to also. The rotors on my LS460 are also slightly warped and they wouldn't cover it. Worth a shot, but if they won't I'll just take it to my mechanic and have him to it.
Old 11-22-16, 06:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Apparently they soaked me good enough on the maintenance they didn't even try to diagnose my brakes LOL
Yeah the sensor will be covered under warranty. I'll make a firm case for them to cover the brakes too, don't know how successful I'll be.
if they only diagnosed the warranty item, you shouldn't have to pay for the diagnostic either, surely?
Old 11-22-16, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, no diagnostic charges. That was just the service!
Old 11-23-16, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The rotors on my LS460 are also slightly warped ...
it's almost impossible to 'warp' modern rotors and i doubt you were driving an LS460 sufficiently hard to do it.

generally when people say warped it's really just uneven build-up and wear which is easily fixed by a qualified shop/dealer. i've hard cars that have that shimmy/vibration on braking, and once the rotors are 'turned' (basically sanded smootha), all good again.
Old 11-23-16, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can take my "warping" to mean "glazing" lol
Old 11-23-16, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
generally when people say warped it's really just uneven build-up and wear which is easily fixed by a qualified shop/dealer. i've hard cars that have that shimmy/vibration on braking, and once the rotors are 'turned' (basically sanded smootha), all good again.
It's true that rotors can get "warped" or out-of-round (the correct automotive term is "runout") from uneven wear and build-up. But they can, and do, also suffer runout from actual warpage, or the actual metal being out of round, from heat build-up. As you noted, warpage from heat is less common now, with built-in slots for cooling and better-quality metal used on the rotors, than in the past. But dense traffic and repeated use of the brakes,
under stop-and-go conditions where little air flows through the rotor-slots (or panic-braking, which instantly produces a lot of heat), can still cause runout over time. Under those conditions, the lathe which smooths out the rotors is actually taking a thin layer of metal off of them instead of just build-up, so that can often be done just once or twice before the rotors are too thin and have to be replaced. With the ceramic rotors used in some Porsches and other exotic makes, of course, the ceramic materials resist heat so well that warpage, as we know it, is practically impossible.

it's almost impossible to 'warp' modern rotors and i doubt you were driving an LS460 sufficiently hard to do it.
Yes, it's much harder to warp the brakes on a modern LS.....but the original LS400 from the early 90s tended to suffer runout, simply because the brakes were too small for a car of that size and weight. Though the original LS was a superb vehicle and set new standards in many areas, Toyota, at that time, had had little experience designing and building large heavy sedans of that size, and they learned a few lessons with that orginal LS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-16 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I've only ever seen brake "wear components" covered by BMW and Audi--regardless of the cause of the issue--so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even other issues are sometimes a problem. I had a Ford Ranger back in the day where the front brakes dragged. Took it in to the dealer, which involved a 10 minute drive on the expressway, after which I pulled in by downshifting and using the parking brake. So the front brakes were never applied once in the 15 minutes before I arrived. I pointed out to the tech who checked me in that the front wheels were so hot that you couldn't touch them, and the chrome was starting to discolor. The response was "that's normal". After trying on 3 separate occasions, I gave up. Front brakes completely failed (backing plate grinding on rotor) at 11k.

I hope you have better luck than I did on your next attempt, but I'd honestly be surprised if that was the case. You're going to wind up replacing those rotors yourself, or paying someone (dealer or otherwise) to do it.
even bmw is removing their wear components from their standard services included in the purchase of the car.

starting from 2017 models, complimentary services on bmw moved to 3 years only and wear components like brake pads are no longer included
Old 11-23-16, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
even bmw is removing their wear components from their standard services included in the purchase of the car.

starting from 2017 models, complimentary services on bmw moved to 3 years only and wear components like brake pads are no longer included
Hmmmm.......that makes one wonder if they are now using cheaper (or smaller-size) materials in the brakes to cut costs? Thinner pads, rotors, etc......probably won't last as long.
Old 11-23-16, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Every Lexus vehicle I've ever had has had some sort of warping/glazing of rotors.
Old 11-23-16, 10:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

Yep! I got lucky on my current one, but the next won't have maint covered completely. Another good excuse to shop different brand
Old 11-23-16, 10:16 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, your dealer ever mentioned passenger sliding door recall? They asked me if I have problem with it, since since it's fine I didn't do it.
Old 11-24-16, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No they didn't. I don't have any problems with mine either...