Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 07:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Newer Audi grilles aren't exactly inconspicuous themselves
the shape of the audi grille is less aesthetically polarizing, though.
Old 11-23-16, 07:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

After back to back Lexus we got our first Audi a 2013 Q5. I went in with fingers crossed and it turned out to be a great experience with no issues other than routine maintenance. In June I bought a 2016 A6 and although it's only been 5 months, no early issues. Another good experience.
Old 11-23-16, 07:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

love tails & the turn signals on the new A4 ...

similar to....

Old 11-23-16, 10:22 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Chiming back in on this thread. I've owned a '98 A4 and '06 S4 (still own the '98 as my son drives it). Was an Audi enthusiast. Overall great cars... but they did have their occasional issues. I saved tons of money doing a lot of service myself. And whenever I couldn't take care of them myself I had to take them to the dealer (which tended to cost a lot)... unfortunately there aren't any reliable independent shops in my area that i trusted on Audis. Most dissappointing was that they both burned oil... the A4 was and is reasonable. The S4 became very unreasonable. Apparently the new Audis are more reliable... i tell my friends I wouldn't buy an Audi because of reliability and I wouldn't not buy an Audi because of reliability. One thing that was more 'impressive' on the Audis was their solid as a rock feel (solid, no rattles or creaks). Unfortunately my IS has it's share of door, seat & general plasticy noises... that has been dissappointing.
Old 11-23-16, 10:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tff
Chiming back in on this thread. I've owned a '98 A4 and '06 S4 (still own the '98 as my son drives it). Was an Audi enthusiast. Overall great cars... but they did have their occasional issues. I saved tons of money doing a lot of service myself. And whenever I couldn't take care of them myself I had to take them to the dealer (which tended to cost a lot)... unfortunately there aren't any reliable independent shops in my area that i trusted on Audis. Most dissappointing was that they both burned oil... the A4 was and is reasonable. The S4 became very unreasonable. Apparently the new Audis are more reliable... i tell my friends I wouldn't buy an Audi because of reliability and I wouldn't not buy an Audi because of reliability. One thing that was more 'impressive' on the Audis was their solid as a rock feel (solid, no rattles or creaks). Unfortunately my IS has it's share of door, seat & general plasticy noises... that has been dissappointing.
when i brake abruptly i can hear the entire front dash shift just a tad. the noise is annoying coming from a $50k car. that said, i still <3 my 3IS.
Old 11-23-16, 02:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

The new A4 is getting outstanding reviews. Just search a few of the major publication magazines and read up to see. Consumer Reports also rates them very high, including reliability. I feel you'd have nothing to worry about.
I currently have a 2016 IS200t loaner and it is underwhelming. The engine sounds downmarket (like a typical four-cylinder), it is getting worse mileage than my 2008 IS250, and the interior has zero luxury in it. The only way the IS shines in my opinion is going with the full-blown F-sport model with the V6. Otherwise, I'd go right to a new A4 if I were in the market. My 2003 A4 was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
Old 11-23-16, 02:59 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The new A4 is getting outstanding reviews. Just search a few of the major publication magazines and read up to see. Consumer Reports also rates them very high, including reliability. I feel you'd have nothing to worry about.
I currently have a 2016 IS200t loaner and it is underwhelming. The engine sounds downmarket (like a typical four-cylinder), it is getting worse mileage than my 2008 IS250, and the interior has zero luxury in it. The only way the IS shines in my opinion is going with the full-blown F-sport model with the V6. Otherwise, I'd go right to a new A4 if I were in the market. My 2003 A4 was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
i have the luxury package -- i think that model also shines just as brightly as the f-sport model. it's a shame they can't be combined.

but back to the a4 -- it's probably the class leader at the moment.
Old 11-23-16, 05:05 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I wanted to go back into a '17 IS but am disappointed (but not surprised) in the carryover thirsty engines and lower available tech as compared to the A4.
I thought this review starting at 10:40 gives an excellent explanation why Lexus has carried over the same engine (in the IS350 at least) since 2006, and should give pause to the OP or anyone else considering a German competitor, including Audi:

It is something to consider anyway. For those that say "I only keep my cars for 2 years anyway so it doesn't affect me" - fine, but don't go touting your vehicle tech as the best if you are nervous about keeping it beyond its warranty.
Old 11-23-16, 05:34 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Re: the transmission failures, there was one guy whose A4 died on the road. Everyone thought it was linked to a faulty transmission, but it turned out to be one loose wire that has been fixed. There was another guy who received a letter from Audi saying that they would be replacing his transmission at the dock before he takes delivery of the car. Aside from those two incidents, I have seen no incidents of transmission failures posted on the Audi forums.

Yes, occasionally some electronic glitches happen, but they usually involve the MMI system, are minor and can be fixed by rebooting the system. Nothing we haven't seen in other vehicles (except maybe Lexus).

It is definitely worth a test drive.
I am planning to lease an A4 this week, and have been reading up on them for the past few weeks. There are many A4s in port that are being held for transmission replacements. One local dealer told me they had 3 being held, along with about 20 A3s that are being held for radiator replacements. So it looks like there are many more than one incident of a bad transmission. However, Audi is fixing the problem before the cars are delivered to the dealers. My dealer has assured me that the car I am planning to get does not have a bad transmission, and that it was not replaced at the port.
Old 11-23-16, 06:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

At least they are replacing them prior to putting the cars on the road.
Old 11-23-16, 06:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BoDarville
I thought this review starting at 10:40 gives an excellent explanation why Lexus has carried over the same engine (in the IS350 at least) since 2006, and should give pause to the OP or anyone else considering a German competitor, including Audi:

It is something to consider anyway. For those that say "I only keep my cars for 2 years anyway so it doesn't affect me" - fine, but don't go touting your vehicle tech as the best if you are nervous about keeping it beyond its warranty.
I was very happy with the V6 in my GS F-Sport, and was one of the few that didn't complain the car needed more horsepower. It was a blast to drive. I just wanted a smaller car. I also swore I would ever go smaller than a V6, but the A4 4 cylinder turbo is really smooth, quiet and quick. On another note, I haven't seen anyone in the forum claiming they only keep their cars for 2 years so it doesn't affect them. I think the majority of people lease luxury cars these days, so they are keeping ANY brand of car for approx. 3 years.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-23-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 06:31 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

For anyone who is considering the A4, the A5 Sportback with the same mechanicals, interior and driving experience should be hitting dealers' lots in the spring. It is just gorgeous and has more hauling room in the back. I would guess it will sell for may a couple thousand $$$ more. We've never had 2 Audis in our garage but this may change that.

​​​​​​
Old 11-23-16, 06:54 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On another note, I haven't seen anyone in the forum claiming they only keep their cars for 2 years so it doesn't affect them.
i was anticipating the claim before it could be raised....
I think the majority of people lease luxury cars these days, so they are keeping ANY brand of car for approx. 3 years.
see what i mean?
Old 11-23-16, 07:01 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

i was anticipating the claim before it could be raised....

see what i mean?
And that's supposedly a bad thing? So, I choose not to keep my cars until the wheels fall off. It gives me a broader range of choices. I don't need something that will still be reliable at 100k miles. Also, technology is evolving so fast in automobiles that something built 5 years ago is already obsolete. I would have probably bought out my lease on my '15 S5 because the car is so gorgeous, but the advances that have been made since that car was introduced are amazing. I can't speak for everyone, but I think a number of people feel the way, which means that not only the most reliable long-term brands have the advantage.
Old 11-23-16, 08:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuC64BDdQUE

The carbon buildup was also an issue with is250. Its a difficult issue that has a interesting spread in the engine spectrum problem wise. Some owners go through 100k without issue, other see it right at 20-50k.

Quick Reply: Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?