Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 08:23 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
And that's supposedly a bad thing? So, I choose not to keep my cars until the wheels fall off. It gives me a broader range of choices. I don't need something that will still be reliable at 100k miles. Also, technology is evolving so fast in automobiles that something built 5 years ago is already obsolete. I would have probably bought out my lease on my '15 S5 because the car is so gorgeous, but the advances that have been made since that car was introduced are amazing. I can't speak for everyone, but I think a number of people feel the way, which means that not only the most reliable long-term brands have the advantage.
Well, part of the issue is that you bought a car at the end of its life-cycle. I have a 2012 S4, I've put 90,000 miles on it, and I'll be getting, most likely, the new S4 or S5 sportback next year. No need for a new car every 2-3 years, because they don't change that much within a generation. Or even really every 5 years - the S4 came out in 2010, which is a nice distance between generations.
Old 11-23-16, 08:47 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
And that's supposedly a bad thing? So, I choose not to keep my cars until the wheels fall off. It gives me a broader range of choices. I don't need something that will still be reliable at 100k miles.
i know what you mean dude. my new phone, the samsung galaxy note 7, is the best phone out there, it's so hi-tech, it's probably a lot better than any phone you have or could dream of owning, the tech is amazing!

i choose not to keep my phones for more than 15 minutes before i trade them in for the next latest-and-greatest thing, which gives me a broader range of choices. I don't need to worry about something that will catch fire and explode my house in flames after like 2 or 3 days of ownership. i am the pinnacle of savvy consumers of electronics.
Old 11-23-16, 09:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
I am planning to lease an A4 this week, and have been reading up on them for the past few weeks. There are many A4s in port that are being held for transmission replacements. One local dealer told me they had 3 being held, along with about 20 A3s that are being held for radiator replacements. So it looks like there are many more than one incident of a bad transmission. However, Audi is fixing the problem before the cars are delivered to the dealers. My dealer has assured me that the car I am planning to get does not have a bad transmission, and that it was not replaced at the port.
@dseag2, this is what I was referring to about the transmission issues in my early post and not so much the owner who had his A4 die on him which was due to a loose wire under his car seat. But to your point, the affected A4s with faulty trannies have been (mostly?) caught at port being repaired before delivery to dealers/customers.

As an avid Lexus fan since 1990 and owner since the mid 2000s, going to an Audi is a HUGE deal, one that can only be explained by how (admittedly) good of a product the new A4 is. Despite some of these early issues, I'm not concerned and very anxious to get mine tomorrow!
Old 11-24-16, 06:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Is this 7 speed dual clutch transmission with the problems, brand new? Hopefully it gets resolved soon. Several Audi models have been using a ZF supplied 8 speed automatic that seems to be quite reliable.
Old 11-26-16, 01:38 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Been seeing a few around. Only demerit is its familiar looks to the previous gen, otherwise excellent vehicle. Lexus IS isn't even in the same ballpark with its boy racer interior.
Old 11-26-16, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Been seeing a few around. Only demerit is its familiar looks to the previous gen, otherwise excellent vehicle.
Like the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And there was nothing broke about the looks of the previous model (well, except maybe the too-large grille LOL).
Old 11-26-16, 07:06 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And there was nothing broke about the looks of the previous model (well, except maybe the too-large grille LOL).
Yes. It's like all the other new Audi models people (including myself) have been critical of because they look somewhat "emotionless" per say. Well Audi is just giving folks what they want. I saw a new E300 the other day and thought it was a C-class until I noticed the length, but it will probably be the highest-selling E-class ever. People criticized the new 5-series for looking similar to the F10 yet the BMW enthusiasts (including myself) love the design and the market will too.