Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 05:59 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?

Pretty confident I will be leasing another IS soon but the new 2017 Audi A4 kinda grabbed my attention recently for the new tech and the dual clutch transmission and decent looking engine specs.

Has anyone recently driven the new a4 and offer opinions how it compared to their IS.

Please keep posts to the new 2017 A4 if you've driven it.
Old 11-21-16, 07:36 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Have owned 2 Audi's myself. Left the brand after the VW/Audi emissions cheating scandals. Having said that this new A4 has gotten great reviews. (Wish the styling was more exciting though).
Old 11-21-16, 07:45 PM
IreneIS350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drove the new A4 about two months ago and loved it. Gorgeous car and the technology is amazing. I drove a quattro, so it is hard to compare the ride to my rwd IS350, but it handles great. I lease cars and if I wasn't extremely upside down I would have gone with the First Edition A4 Quattro without a doubt. I do agree with tff that the styling is a little drab, but the reviews prove that it is one of the best cars on the road.

Go for the A4...you won't regret it!
Old 11-22-16, 09:40 AM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking of replacing my IS250 with A4 or A5 in 2017, and I've driven A4 1,4 FWD and 2,0 Quattro. 2,0 is fast, but the acceleration is not as wooooooooow as claimed 5,8 seconds 0-100 promise. The handling of IS250 is BETTER, driving comfort about the same, and A4 is a bit quieter inside. But the real deal is the Audi's AWD system, I'm almost sold. )
Old 11-22-16, 10:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

if i weren't so heavily invested in my IS, i would go straight for the a4 -- it's such a great car!
Old 11-22-16, 12:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

2 people on this forum just recently bought one. Search a bit, lots of great discussion in there.
Old 11-22-16, 03:41 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IreneIS350
the reviews prove that it is one of the best cars on the road.
prove it how? can you list some objective criteria of what proved it to be one of the best instead of a generalized statement of opinion? is it faster than a bugatti? does it get better gas mileage than a prius? is it more fun to drive than an exige? more luxurious than a maybach? help the OP out, he is trying to decide on his next car
Old 11-22-16, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I did a full-review on one last spring. Enjoy:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...7-audi-a4.html
Old 11-22-16, 05:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
2 people on this forum just recently bought one. Search a bit, lots of great discussion in there.
Yep, bought one and picking it up this week.

OP, I had the IS for almost 3 years, then moved to the HS (6 months) and now A4. What impressed me with the A4 is the smooth engine, ride comfort, and superb interior fit/finish. The tech too and fuel economy are excellent.

I wanted to go back into a '17 IS but am disappointed (but not surprised) in the carryover thirsty engines and lower available tech as compared to the A4. The IS is slightly firmer and louder but feels more neutral with less oversteer and stands out more in the styling area than the A4. The A4 is also starting off with some reported major issues such as transmission failures and electrical gremlins which is nowhere near the minor issues the 3IS started off with.
Old 11-22-16, 06:07 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The A4 is also starting off with some reported major issues such as transmission failures and electrical gremlins which is nowhere near the minor issues the 3IS started off with.
that's disappointing to hear given that audi's reliability rankings are purportedly rising.
Old 11-22-16, 07:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My last car (before Audi) was a '13 GS F Sport and I loved it. I traded it for a '15 Audi S5, which I also loved and kept for 2 years. I now drive a '17 A4, and it is the best car I've owned to date. Great interior, great tech, handles well, super quiet inside, soaks up the bumps even with the sport package, has a fantastic Bang & Olufsen system, and it is quick! And for anyone who thinks it doesn't stand out, my pics are at the bottom.

The following Audi owner's thread is for your reading pleasure...

​​​​​​http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b...ce-a4-2908597/

Re: the transmission failures, there was one guy whose A4 died on the road. Everyone thought it was linked to a faulty transmission, but it turned out to be one loose wire that has been fixed. There was another guy who received a letter from Audi saying that they would be replacing his transmission at the dock before he takes delivery of the car. Aside from those two incidents, I have seen no incidents of transmission failures posted on the Audi forums.

Yes, occasionally some electronic glitches happen, but they usually involve the MMI system, are minor and can be fixed by rebooting the system. Nothing we haven't seen in other vehicles (except maybe Lexus).

It is definitely worth a test drive.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?-fullsizerender-3-.jpg   Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?-fullsizerender-2-.jpg   Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 11-22-16 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
prove it how? can you list some objective criteria of what proved it to be one of the best instead of a generalized statement of opinion? is it faster than a bugatti? does it get better gas mileage than a prius? is it more fun to drive than an exige? more luxurious than a maybach? help the OP out, he is trying to decide on his next car
Here are comparisons to other cars that are actually in its class...

​​​​​​http://mashable.com/2016/08/03/2017-.../#5R3JKR3tlqqf

How about "The A4 feels sturdier, more luxurious and refined than any of its competitors."

Last edited by dseag2; 11-22-16 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 05:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
that's disappointing to hear given that audi's reliability rankings are purportedly rising.
damning with faint praise? they've been decent for years.

i wouldn't hesitate to own an audi, i'm surprised to read here about IS owners interested in the a4, but competition is a wonderful thing. the IS is a smooth competent vehicle, but unlike the bland a4, the IS styling isn't for everyone (complex, busy, grille).
Old 11-23-16, 06:16 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i wouldn't hesitate to own an audi, i'm surprised to read here about IS owners interested in the a4, but competition is a wonderful thing. the IS is a smooth competent vehicle, but unlike the bland a4, the IS styling isn't for everyone (complex, busy, grille).
re: reliability -- decent they may be, although stellar they are not. anyhow, i love my 3IS enough to not want to trade it in for an audi at the moment. that said, once the loan has been paid off in several years, i may very well consider an audi as my next vehicle. i'd like to see what the next generation IS looks like as i'd like to stay with lexus, but the styling at present is just barely tolerable. if there the new IS takes styling cues from the current generation RX, then i likely won't stay with the brand. if it takes cues from the new LC, which i'm hoping it will, then i'll likely continue on with lexus.
Old 11-23-16, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Audi reliability, in general, according to Consumer Reports, has risen sharply in the last few years. It has not been a gradual improvement. For years, they were known as money-pits if the warranty or free service was over.

the IS is a smooth competent vehicle, but unlike the bland a4, the IS styling isn't for everyone (complex, busy, grille).
Newer Audi grilles aren't exactly inconspicuous themselves

Quick Reply: Anyone drive new 2017 Audi A4?