Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How pissed I would be that an Audi dealership allowed this?!?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 07:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are they buying or leasing them? With many upmarket vehicles, leasing, of course, is quite popular, because it allows someone to get into a more expensive vehicle (albeit for only two or three years), at a substantially lower monthly payment, than an outright purchase.

That pretty much agrees with what I and a couple of other posters said before....though I don't see anything wrong with it if he does want one, and can afford it.

The GS-F is pretty much a niche vehicle.......even more so than the former IS-F (no offense, of course, since I see you have an IS-F....and congratulations) . I may be wrong (yes, it's happened before LOL)....but I don't think that the GS-F is going to have many buyers, period......partly due to relatively low production numbers.

i've moved to the RC-F platform now, but i guess you can use me as an example. in no way would i think about a GS for a car at my age. younger guys in my area and age group (24-29y years old), we were always in the 40-75k price range. I've also lived in a higher income area. My father and I literally were just talking about this two nights ago. the young age group of guys in the southern cali, 50k-100k cars driven kids under 30 is the norm.
Old 12-10-16, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Who is judging anyone?? Not me. You're the one who cut down a guy with a 10 year old GS. My LS is about to be 13 years old...what's your point? Still runs like a champ and I have no desire to get rid of it anytime soon.

I simply said "leasing is not for me." I couldn't get past the fact that it's not my car. I'm not judging anyone. You seem defensive, when nobody in this thread is trying to argue. All I said was (respectfully, I might add) that I disagree with your view that leased cars are destroyed, ragged out, etc.

We don't need to go into my financials.....I just like putting my superflous $ into financial security rather than paying a big payment for a car I don't own. That's not meant to be judgemental nor disrespectful. Some people may think it's crazy to have a 13 year old LS; that's their right. I like paid for cars and actually owning them. I'm married and settled down, happy, I don't need a flashy car right now. More power to those who do, because I used to feel that way.
I agree with and appreciate your response, but trust me, it's not worth your time. Anyone who is following the equities market can see that it has hit highs not seen since March 2015.
Old 12-10-16, 07:59 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
i unstand how you could be offended by my personal experience since you own(ed) both cars. But all The owners I see driving around with A4 are mostly college girls (vw fanatics with family money) and middle age+ women with rare few 50+ men.
Given the opportunity to buy/lease a new car, I cannot see any performance oriented friends settle for a fwd A4. I have quite a few buddies with s4/5 though. Again no offense, if they took their A4 to the drag strip or car meet, most likely they would be the joke of the day.

mmarshall, I all see is 50-60 yr olds driving GS around me, never seen 20-40. My definition and yours might be a little off, but I also mentioned mom/pop. I see more Asians and real estate agents driving the ES for the Lexus name
The lighter and more powerful IS350/ISF/GSF are more sports oriented sedans driven by 30-40 yr olds that are looking for 4 door imo
I'm not offended at all because I consider the source. Your buddies have good taste. I have owned three S5's. My '15 S5 was traded in for my '17 A4. Perhaps you should drive one before making generalizations. Also, there is an RC-F owner who has recently added a '17 A4 to his stable. He would probably have a different opinion as well. I don't think he bought it for his "college girl". See post #42.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-driver-3.html
Old 12-10-16, 09:35 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm not offended at all because I consider the source. Your buddies have good taste. I have owned three S5's. My '15 S5 was traded in for my '17 A4. Perhaps you should drive one before making generalizations. Also, there is an RC-F owner who has recently added a '17 A4 to his stable. He would probably have a different opinion as well. I don't think he bought it for his "college girl". See post #42.

Are you kidding me? Corrado did not trade in his RC-F for an A4! LOL!!! I think he raplaced his CT with it. I traded in a 2015 S5 for my RC-F and am so glad I did. The S5 bored me as I came from an IS-F. I can relate to SSmoked as I regretted the downgrade in performance. I am in my mid forties and am still not ready trade down in performance..

Last edited by Lexura1414; 12-10-16 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-10-16, 10:50 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

i did test drive one helping my mother selecting convertibles. It's preppy for what it is, and am sure is fine for daily errands with occasional red lines. But for my hp needs it's much to be desired. A4's engine is a step below s4/5, which is a step below rs5, which is compatible with the RC F power. Most likely that's why it felt weak especially after 50mph

everyones needs and criteria are different. Coming from 370z (almost same power as your G37), the desire for power increased

Last edited by ssmoked; 12-10-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-10-16, 11:03 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Who is judging anyone?? Not me. You're the one who cut down a guy with a 10 year old GS. My LS is about to be 13 years old...what's your point? Still runs like a champ and I have no desire to get rid of it anytime soon.

I simply said "leasing is not for me." I couldn't get past the fact that it's not my car. I'm not judging anyone. You seem defensive, when nobody in this thread is trying to argue. All I said was (respectfully, I might add) that I disagree with your view that leased cars are destroyed, ragged out, etc.

We don't need to go into my financials.....I just like putting my superflous $ into financial security rather than paying a big payment for a car I don't own. That's not meant to be judgemental nor disrespectful. Some people may think it's crazy to have a 13 year old LS; that's their right. I like paid for cars and actually owning them. I'm married and settled down, happy, I don't need a flashy car right now. More power to those who do, because I used to feel that way.
you ***-u-me a lot. How was I defensive by explaining and supporting my view? Also don't assume I drive flashy cars to attract a mate, did it only for my pleasure.

Also when did I cut you down? I actually agreed with you that leasing only work for some and not others
Old 12-10-16, 11:09 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm less concerned about the engine revving, and more concerned about why i'm not rich enough to buy a 918 like this rich foo. He seems to wipe his *** with money.

my bad bad for the earlier post. Thought your comment was for me
Old 12-10-16, 11:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ssmoked
you ***-u-me a lot. How was I defensive by explaining and supporting my view? Also don't assume I drive flashy cars to attract a mate, did it only for my pleasure.

Also when did I cut you down? I actually agreed with you that leasing only work for some and not others
I wasn't implying that you or anyone buys "flashy cars" for that. I'm just saying, as I've gotten older stuff like that means less and less to me. It's not all due to marriage. I have a Rolex I bought a decade ago I never wear, for example...and I can't believe I spent that kind of money on a watch (even though it was a good investment and has appreciated in value). Your mileage may vary!

Yes, leasing is for some and for others it's not.
Old 12-11-16, 12:18 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Best custom configure and order it from factory. Saving money buying a demo. model is a myth to me. A buddy of mine ordered Bimmer M5 they send him to factory to see
his car assembled, test drive it on their test track. I don't care much about any car at my age as an old fart on the wrong side of 70, I am one of 'been there done that' type.
Car is just necessary evil to me these days. Don't keep any of them beyond warranty. Just beat the hell olut of it, trade it in....
Old 12-11-16, 03:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I don't care much about any car at my age as an old fart on the wrong side of 70, I am one of 'been there done that' type.
Come on, now. What if Caroll Shelby had taken that attitude? He was forced to give up racing due to an injury in the 1960s, yet continued to drive (and enjoy driving) up to the time he passed away at age 89. There's nothing on the clock that says you can't be a car enthusiast as a senior....and hey, I'm no spring chicken myself.

Car is just necessary evil to me these days.
Well, OK, if you still think cars are evil, Toyota has the perfect machine for you...a new Prius LOL.
Old 12-11-16, 07:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Are you kidding me? Corrado did not trade in his RC-F for an A4! LOL!!! I think he raplaced his CT with it. I traded in a 2015 S5 for my RC-F and am so glad I did. The S5 bored me as I came from an IS-F. I can relate to SSmoked as I regretted the downgrade in performance. I am in my mid forties and am still not ready trade down in performance..
No, I am in no way kidding. I didn't say he traded it. I said he added it to his stable.

Sorry the S5 bored you. You certainly congratulated new S5 owners in this forum. If you are in your mid-Forties, i guess you are just a few years away from driving an A4. ;-) What a downgrade! :-)
Old 12-11-16, 07:40 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Right driving 2015 X Hybrid to see if the 12V batrtery can stand to bitter cold winter nights. ATM. temps. are -20 to -27C dailly
windchill upto -40C. So far so good. In the spring I tried 2016 MDX which disappinted me. 9 speed tranny, revised SH-AWD, build quality from Alabama plant. I then tried F15 Bimmer X5, I did not like RFTs, electric/electronic parts giving little annoying issues non-stop. In the spring I may try new Audi SQ5 just for fun. I always pay for the car I get, no lease, no time payment using my
set aside car account as an investment. Down the road Porsche Cayenne S maybe?....LOL!
Old 12-11-16, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Yes, time to get back to the original topic.
Old 12-11-16, 08:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Guys, I traded my HS for the '17 A4 S-Line (in Canada, equivalent to an F Sport) and it's no popster-mobile that I can assure you. Is the styling as sexy/sporty as an IS? No it's not (to me) but it's surprisingly nimble with near-flat cornering, peppy, refined, has a superbly built interior, and is great on gas.

As for the original topic of this thread, I'm not bothered by the cold-start revving done by the salesman. It didn't sound like it went too high in the rev-range and new electronics generally prevent over-revving and possible damage.
Old 12-12-16, 09:08 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

No, I am in no way kidding. I didn't say he traded it. I said he added it to his stable.

Sorry the S5 bored you. You certainly congratulated new S5 owners in this forum. If you are in your mid-Forties, i guess you are just a few years away from driving an A4. ;-) What a downgrade! :-)
Sorry, but you will never catch me driving an A4. But wait I owned an 2004 Dolphin Gray cabriolet which I bought brand new for my for wife. That car was a nightmare to maintain. I can see myself adding an S6 to my stable and will never downgrade and be "bored again".
Yeah, I congratulated new S5 owners because I want to support THEIR purchase as they had their reasons for buying the vehicle.
And I have my reasons for being bored with the S5..

Let's get back on topic...

Last edited by Lexura1414; 12-12-16 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: How pissed I would be that an Audi dealership allowed this?!?!!?