Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Lexus LIT IS Reveal!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by damtachoa
After many years of earthquake, I suspect those Lexus engineers have a mental illness. They need to check up regularly.

They don't have time to put memory seat and outside power folding mirror, but they do have time creating LED for the car.
I agree. Given the choice of LEDs or memory-seats, I'll take the seats, hands-down.
Old 12-18-16, 05:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So what if it does? I don't see any problem with that. First, building refined, smooth-riding, quiet cruisers is a large part of what made Lexus the success it became. Look at Infiniti, which, in contrast, tried at first to emphasize sport-sedans, and fell flat on its face. Second, seniors tend to have a lot of money to spend on new cars....though not always quite as much the 45-65 age group. Market to them, and you can make money.
The answer to "so what if it does" is, their buyer pool will eventually die off, and there won't be any future buyers there to buy their cars. Which happened to Cadillac and Lincoln.

You cannot not assume that all future generations of older people will want the same thing when they become older, and as we have discussed before "market to seniors they have the most to spend" isn't supported by any buyer research or busiess metric. Bottom line is that demographic doesn't buy nearly as many new cars or luxury items as younger demographics. We don't have to guess on this, companies do all of this research, they know...and that's why they reach for youth in all things, not just cars. That's where the money is. May not make sense to you, but it's what buyer behavior and market research tells them.

You either get younger buyers who will be buyers for longer, or you get older buyers by making them feel young. People spend money to feel young, not to feel old.

If they made more money by marketing to seniors and building big soft Luxor cruisers believe me, they would do that. All successful companies want is to make money, they build what they think customers want, not what they want them to want.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-18-16 at 05:40 AM.