Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2018 Mercedes-Benz E-class Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 12:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Gorgeous in and out, but it really looks 9.5/10 same as the C class and S class coupes. Beginning to be quite hard to distinguish them along with Audi.
true, but that's because they want unambiguous branding in a loud world. very very smart. may not be for everyone, but at least you immediately know what it is. not everyone likes rolex, ferrari, rolls, etc., but you immediately know what they are.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
For the record, I think the coupes are more differentiated than the sedans, with the C-Coupe looking the worst.

i think that c coupe looks absolutely awesome. particularly love the short front overhang, the wheels and stance.
Old 12-14-16, 04:39 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sexy. Love the air vent design.
Old 12-14-16, 05:51 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Tango, you think the Coupes have more differentiation than the sedans? hmmm...Im the opposite.
Old 12-14-16, 06:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Tango, you think the Coupes have more differentiation than the sedans? hmmm...Im the opposite.
I really do. The green house, window shapes, body surfacing, tail light treatment, and stance all have more pronounced differences to me. The front ends continue to be very similar though.
Old 12-14-16, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The S Class Coupe is drop-dead gorgeous. I personally think the new Infiniti Q60 looks better and more unique than either the C Class or E Class. I've seen one on the road, and it is a head-turner. The interior though...
Old 12-14-16, 07:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I really do. The green house, window shapes, body surfacing, tail light treatment, and stance all have more pronounced differences to me. The front ends continue to be very similar though.
But the rear of the C and E coupe are pretty much identical save the light treatment
Old 12-14-16, 09:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It is time to step in here and set things straight. THE STYLING IS AN UNCONVENTIONAL DISASTER! How can you all support this design? It is 100% backward and completely opposite of how a luxury or sport coupe should be styled. Instead of making it look like a coupe, they tried making it look like a 4-door! How backward is that? Please note the extra added pillar and window toward the rear to make it look like as if it had four doors. Yet, it has two doors. Totally unnecessary, formal clutter! Just being a Mercedes and calling it a coupe is not enough to automatically accept this is gorgeous. You have to look at the details and design intent here. There is nothing sexy about a car trying to look like a 4-door. The same ungainly fail took place when Mazda thought it would be sporty to add four doors to the last RX-8. Another botched body design that people were forced to swallow, but ultimately did not. As auto enthusiasts, please look deeper into the whole picture. Mercedes took a very strange and untraditional route here, and I am sad no one noticed.
Old 12-14-16, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the s coupe is just gorgeous. the c coupe though i don't like it much, think the proportion is off (just like how i don't like the c sedan in terms of proportion). this e coupe looks pretty good
Old 12-14-16, 11:39 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
But the rear of the C and E coupe are pretty much identical save the light treatment
The longer rear end combined with a more flat trunk lid makes all the difference to me. The C-class also has lower hips which make it look a bit more hunched and weak, imo.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It is time to step in here and set things straight. THE STYLING IS AN UNCONVENTIONAL DISASTER! How can you all support this design? It is 100% backward and completely opposite of how a luxury or sport coupe should be styled. Instead of making it look like a coupe, they tried making it look like a 4-door! How backward is that? Please note the extra added pillar and window toward the rear to make it look like as if it had four doors. Yet, it has two doors. Totally unnecessary, formal clutter! Just being a Mercedes and calling it a coupe is not enough to automatically accept this is gorgeous. You have to look at the details and design intent here. There is nothing sexy about a car trying to look like a 4-door. The same ungainly fail took place when Mazda thought it would be sporty to add four doors to the last RX-8. Another botched body design that people were forced to swallow, but ultimately did not. As auto enthusiasts, please look deeper into the whole picture. Mercedes took a very strange and untraditional route here, and I am sad no one noticed.
Everyone's got their opinion. But for reference, the reason that little window divider is there (it's not a pillar, as it's merely there for the windows) is so that there would be no b-pillar. Part of the E-class coupe (and 2nd gen CLK) design aesthetic was the lack of a b-pillar so they made a compromise to make it happen. I definitely think it looks goofy but it was there in the last-gen too. I think people noticed but given it's the second time they've done I think people are more forgiving.

Here's the same treatment given to the last-gen model (sorry for the MB website photo):
Old 12-15-16, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good-looking coupe, but not quite as handsome as the Audi A5/S5.
Old 12-15-16, 10:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

It is time to step in here and set things straight.
ah, thanks, we've been waiting for the official opinion.

THE STYLING IS AN UNCONVENTIONAL DISASTER! How can you all support this design? It is 100% backward and completely opposite of how a luxury or sport coupe should be styled.
disaster, backward, 'should be styled'? i love all of 'em. elegant, subtle, yes, the 3 different lengths presents some challenges, but i think they pulled it off spectacularly. i like the s and c more than the e, but all awesome. we'll see if the marketplace agrees they're a 'disaster'.

As auto enthusiasts, please look deeper into the whole picture. Mercedes took a very strange and untraditional route here, and I am sad no one noticed.
sorry you're sad, and i see nothing strange about their approach. maybe they did it to make the rear seats more useful, and also because the actual '4 door coupes' have done quite well, and probably better than 'traditional' 2 door coupes.
Old 12-15-16, 03:10 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

...Please note the extra added pillar and window toward the rear to make it look like as if it had four doors. Yet, it has two doors. Totally unnecessary, formal clutter!...
The "pillar" and fixed rear-quarter window serves the same use as on 4-door vehicles. It reduces the size of the operating portion of the rear side window, thus allowing the window to open completely, retracting fully into the car and leaving no glass visible when the window is open.
Old 12-15-16, 03:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

>>>>
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah, thanks, we've been waiting for the official opinion. <<<<

No problem. It's a tough roll, but someone's gotta fill it. =D

>>>disaster, backward, 'should be styled'? i love all of 'em. elegant, subtle, yes, the 3 different lengths presents some challenges, but i think they pulled it off spectacularly. i like the s and c more than the e, but all awesome. we'll see if the marketplace agrees they're a 'disaster'.<<<<

They will. It's a Mercedes. Name badging, reputation, heritage, and prestige are big sellers regardless of styling.

>>>sorry you're sad, and i see nothing strange about their approach. maybe they did it to make the rear seats more useful, and also because the actual '4 door coupes' have done quite well, and probably better than 'traditional' 2 door coupes.
<<<

It doesn't really matter what the reasoning was to do what they did. With the windows down, the end result looks like the jaws of life cut out the center pillar after a wreck.

A coupe should look like a coupe (this does not). A sedan should look like a sedan. An SUV should look like an SUV. A pickup should look like a pickup. Etc. (More official opinion). =)
Old 12-15-16, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A coupe should look like a coupe (this does not). A sedan should look like a sedan. An SUV should look like an SUV. A pickup should look like a pickup. Etc. (More official opinion). =)
I don't totally agree with Fizzboy that the new E-Class doesn't look like a coupe (it does), but, otherwise, he's correct. Too many of today's sedans don't look like sedans (they look like 4-door coupes), and too many SUVs don't look like SUVs. And I generally blame Mercedes for that....it was the 1Gen 4-door Mercedes CLS that started that whole trend of humpback-roofed, coupe-styled sedans, though the VW CC picked up on it.
Old 12-15-16, 04:55 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

looks like a Honda from the back

Quick Reply: Official: 2018 Mercedes-Benz E-class Coupe