Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW expands 5 Series range with M550i xDrive and 530e iPerformance

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The M badge doesnt change the fact this is still a 550i with Msport pack not a true ///M car a la M5 that people will pay huge money for.
Same goes for M2 vs M240i/xi.
OK...that's apples and oranges. You didn't mention MSport 550. You mentioned M550. That's why I pointed out the fact that today's M5 starts at 94K.

That was a typo on your part, but Hey, no problem.....I make typos myself sometime....we all do. No big deal.
Old 12-22-16, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If its priced any higher than 90k, that's getting into 7 series territory. BMW has kind of shot themselves in the foot in regard to the 7 series. They've made the 5 almost as big as the 7 and it drives/rides about the same if you don't get the sport package, for a lot less $$$$
Very different cars, and as was said before the only 7 we have now is the LWB car which its MUCH bigger than the 5 Series, and drives very differently. The 7 is 206.6" long with a 126.4" wheelbase, the outgoing 5 is 193.4" long with a WB of 116". So the 7 is 13" longer and has a 10" longer wheelbase, thats a huge difference.

Anyways, BMW has never been afraid to have loaded models encroach on the sales price of the next rung up. They look at each model as a destination in and of itself, i.e the 5 is not bought because the buyer cannot afford a 7, 3 is not bought because they cannot afford a 5, etc.

So let me get this straight .... the 4cyl and 6cyl models only went up by $600-1,000 as compared to their respective 2016 models. They both feature new engines with way more HP/TQ.
But for some reason most of you feel the V8 model will increase in base price by over $12,000!!!!
Its a MUCH higher performance car. Its like saying the GS-F is a replacement for the GS460...completely different league.

Mark my words, this car is going to be a lot more than the 550i. They know the 550 was a very low volume car, and they're going to push it upmarket and revel in its niche-ness...like Lexus did with the GSF.
Old 12-22-16, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Anyways, BMW has never been afraid to have loaded models encroach on the sales price of the next rung up. They look at each model as a destination in and of itself, i.e the 5 is not bought because the buyer cannot afford a 7, 3 is not bought because they cannot afford a 5, etc.
Though not many people were very enamored with its looks, I thought one of the best examples of that was the 550GT...a model marketed and sold as a 5-series, but actually done on a 7-series platform. I remember, when I reviewed one (the Special Holiday Review I did that year) it also drove more like a 7-series than a 5-series. I think it would have sold far better than it actually did if it had not been for the frumpy-looking rear end.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-22-16, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though not many people were very enamored with its looks, I thought one of the best examples of that was the 550GT...a model marketed and sold as a 5-series, but actually done on a 7-series platform. I remember, when I reviewed one (the Special Holiday Review I did that year) it also drove like a 7-series than a 5-series. I think it would have sold far better than it actually did if it had not been for the frumpy-looking rear end.
Exactly, they have models that cross price themselves constantly.

I have a coworker that just returned a 550 GT lease, she LOVED the thing.
Old 12-22-16, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Take away the crazy priced (useless) sound system for $3,700 and Dynamic Handling Pack (Adjustable anti-roll bars) for $3,500 which nobody gets and you get $80k car.
The other self driving crap options are not even offered on GSF and is pointless on performance car.
So that puts you in mid to high $70s just like I said.

Not to mention you put Individual option of Piano black trim ($1,000) and Carbon Fiber spoiler also $1,000.
BMW provides various Wood and Aluminum trims for free.
Same spoiler without CF would $300.
gsf has the mark levinson, how are you going to justify that (which i think is not impressive at all too)?

like i said, you are not trying to be fair and make it a similarly equipped car with give or takes here and there. there are bunch of things you find on the gsf including the TVD that you can't find on the 5 series, so how are you going to value that? how about the brembo brakes which would be a premium over that on the 550i?

you can spin it and we can agree to disagree, but saying a 550i is a mid 70s car is a deceiving statement. i was shopping for a good one very hard. most of the 550i i saw were over 80s and they don't have 19" wheels or other performance items on the gsf.

i agree though, i don't think the m550i will hit the 100k mark, or i hope it doesn't. and m5 is a 105-110k car. all the ones i see around are in 6 figures
Old 12-23-16, 03:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its a MUCH higher performance car. Its like saying the GS-F is a replacement for the GS460...completely different league.

Mark my words, this car is going to be a lot more than the 550i. They know the 550 was a very low volume car, and they're going to push it upmarket and revel in its niche-ness...like Lexus did with the GSF.
You are being thrown off by the name M550i - BMW is following in steps of Audi and MB of calling their top level "regular" models with "M" letter. It started with M235i (now M240i) then we got the M760i and now the M550i.

At the end of the day its just a 550i with Msport package that has updated V8. What other features does it have over the current 550i to justify a price premium of over $10k.

New M5 will have over 600hp and be high 90s base price with much more performance than this M550i. If it gets AWD as rumored, your talking 0-60 in low 3sec!
Old 12-23-16, 03:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
gsf has the mark levinson, how are you going to justify that (which i think is not impressive at all too)?

like i said, you are not trying to be fair and make it a similarly equipped car with give or takes here and there. there are bunch of things you find on the gsf including the TVD that you can't find on the 5 series, so how are you going to value that? how about the brembo brakes which would be a premium over that on the 550i?

you can spin it and we can agree to disagree, but saying a 550i is a mid 70s car is a deceiving statement. i was shopping for a good one very hard. most of the 550i i saw were over 80s and they don't have 19" wheels or other performance items on the gsf.

i agree though, i don't think the m550i will hit the 100k mark, or i hope it doesn't. and m5 is a 105-110k car. all the ones i see around are in 6 figures
BMW has 2 options for stereo systems - Harmon Kardon and Bowers&Wilkins.
The Harmon Kardon is the closest to Mark Levinson in price and sound.

The GSF has TVD but M550i has AWD, more HP and 100 lbft more Torque.
GSF has better brakes but for the 10-15k price premium, not worth it.

Its not 100 percent even feature for feature but the BMW will give you more tech and performance at a lower price.
Obviously GSF is selling at $20k discounts for a reason.

I recommend you order a BMW rather than shop for one on dealer lots that are filled with unnecessary features. I have custom ordered all my BMWs to my exact specs, it is one of my favorite things about the brand. If you lease - they will hold your rate for 60 to 90 days, so no worries on program expiring.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-23-16 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 04:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK...that's apples and oranges. You didn't mention MSport 550. You mentioned M550. That's why I pointed out the fact that today's M5 starts at 94K.

That was a typo on your part, but Hey, no problem.....I make typos myself sometime....we all do. No big deal.
MM--it's not a typo; do your research. "M5" is not the same as "M550". Look at the 2-Series. BMW offers the "M240"--which is a sporty version of the 2-Series with BMW's 3.0 TwinPower Turbo inline 6. The M2 is exactly what you think it is. It's just like Lexus uses "F-Sport"--an IS "F-Sport" is not an IS-F.

No big deal.
Old 12-23-16, 05:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Very nice, but I still wish they'd import the M550d xDrive that's been available overseas since 2012. 550lbft from a 3.0L Straight six diesel with three turbos, yummy!
You are falling a bit behind times - it is now quad turbo diesel.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/02/b...sel-confirmed/
Old 12-23-16, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
MM--it's not a typo; do your research. "M5" is not the same as "M550". Look at the 2-Series. BMW offers the "M240"--which is a sporty version of the 2-Series with BMW's 3.0 TwinPower Turbo inline 6. The M2 is exactly what you think it is. It's just like Lexus uses "F-Sport"--an IS "F-Sport" is not an IS-F.

No big deal.
Thanks for pointing this out, never really noticed that there was a difference.
Old 12-23-16, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

No big deal.
The M5 vs. M550 part part I was generally aware of, but what seemed confusing is that BMW seems to have changed the designation of the former M "Sport" classification (regular non-M powerplants, but with M-grade underpinnings) to numeric values now. One of my ex-co-workers has one of the older M-Sports...the regular 540i with M-grade suspension and tires.
Old 12-23-16, 09:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

The M5 vs. M550 part part I was generally aware of, but what seemed confusing is that BMW seems to have changed the designation of the former M "Sport" classification (regular non-M powerplants, but with M-grade underpinnings) to numeric values now. One of my ex-co-workers has one of the older M-Sports...the regular 540i with M-grade suspension and tires.
Basically the next 5 series will not be available in a vanilla 550i form, but only as M550i. This will include all the upgrades from M-sport package, and slightly tuned engines.
Old 12-23-16, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Basically the next 5 series will not be available in a vanilla 550i form, but only as M550i. This will include all the upgrades from M-sport package, and slightly tuned engines.
Simple, nice explanation
Old 12-23-16, 07:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Simple, nice explanation
Thanks. One other thing that I want to point out, the M-sport package is not necessarily all about sport. It provides different suspension and steering settings, from comfort plus to sport plus - and in comfort plus mode the car will has much smoother ride than a standard model without M-sport package.
Old 12-23-16, 07:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thanks. One other thing that I want to point out, the M-sport package is not necessarily all about sport. It provides different suspension and steering settings, from comfort plus to sport plus - and in comfort plus mode the car will has much smoother ride than a standard model without M-sport package.
I've always been baffled that only the GX, LS, and LX with air suspensions offer a 'Comfort' mode. And on the LS and LX you have to use the Drive Mode Select and turn left for Eco and left for Comfort. You can only use one at a time and not in conjunction with each other . I'm surprised they haven't added an adjustable suspension with a Comfort setting to the ES, GS, or RX.

Oddly enough the old ES300 had an optional adjustable suspension with a Comfort mode

Quick Reply: BMW expands 5 Series range with M550i xDrive and 530e iPerformance