Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick introduces special-trim version of the Cascada convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Buick introduces special-trim version of the Cascada convertible.

http://www.buick.com/convertible/cas...nvertible.html

I've always liked the Cascada as an overall package, but felt, and still feel, that it has the wrong engine (too small, with a turbo), the wrong wheels/tires (too large at 20" and too low-profile), needless red-orange dash lights inside, and gives up too much of the traditional Buick trim. In other words, it's simply too much of an Opel (in fact, it is an almost completely rebadged Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Cascada) and not enough of a Buick. But that Opel heritage gives it a number of plusses....solidly-done hardware, good assembly quality, better reliability than American-designed Buicks, and stiff bracing and reinforcements that make it extremely resistant to cowl shake, while admittedly adding weight in the process. I reviewed a Cascada some time ago, and felt it was a superb small convertible for the price.....though IMO it would be even better with a more conventional Buick drivetrain and smaller, softer-riding wheels/tires.

One of the Cascada's complaints, though, among customers (and potential customers) is it not being available in red. Indeed, I wasn't terribly impressed with the Cascada's original color-choice (and, I think, mentioned that in my review). For 2017, Buick now has a limited-production version with bright red paint and special trim inside that includes red stitching...generally cosmetic stuff that doesn't really change the car or its road-manners any.

The article gives a number of the details:

http://www.automoblog.net/2016/11/24/2017-buick-cascada-seeing-red/

Sometimes the car world gets weird, even for a gearhead like me. Take this missive I received from Buick, a car company I’m just fine with. Upcoming new engine? No. Way cool and unexpected sports car? Sadly, no. Nope, this latest announcement is about the color red.

Have you seen the Pixar film Wall-E? You know how all the humans are living on a space ship, existing in very plump, infantile lives and at one point, seemingly just to give them something to do, the ship’s computer says, “try blue, it’s the new red!”

That’s what I thought of when I read through the press release from Buick.

Red Demand

The press release, appropriately slugged from Hollywood, California reads, “in the months since the Cascada launched, its competitive set hasn’t grown, but choice within the Cascada portfolio has. The latest sport touring color introduction — Sport Red — is the response to customers who asked for a brilliant shade of red.”

What’s interesting is that it’s a convert that doesn’t come in red in the first place. You had to wait to hear from the hoi polloi before making a red one? Really?

“We’ve heard it from customers all year: ‘What a beautiful car. Can I get it in red?’ Well yes, now you can,” said Duncan Aldred, Vice President of Global Buick Sales, Service and Marketing. “This new addition to the Cascada portfolio offers a modern style statement with blacked-out exterior trim and red interior stitching.”

A recent Autotrader study showed almost a quarter of customers will delay a vehicle purchase if the color they want isn’t available. Buick will regularly offer new color and trim combinations for the Cascada. Photo: Buick.

Successful, Less Stressful Options

Buick also emphasises the “quiet, three-layer insulated top and stress-reducing engineering” as one of the factors leading to the Cascada’s sale success. Buick also says it’s “an invitation to drivers who want to live life wide open with features unexpected in a convertible, in a market devoid of options.”

Hey Buick, you know what would be a good option? How about a modern version of your venerable Nailhead engine * with enough stump-pulling torque to wrinkle the tarmac? How about something that would make Gran Sport owners say “I want a Cascada!”

* (My own comment---for those of you who don't know what a "Nailhead" engine is, it was a slang term for some of the big Buick-designed V8s in use from the late 50s to the late 60s, before the division switched to generic GM-designed powertrains. The term "nailhead" referred to the way the valves were shaped/sized and mounted, which gave the appearance of large nails...I had a big 401 c.i. Nailhead V8 in the Buick Electra I owned when I was in college).

Nah, because people like that probably don’t exist in large enough numbers, or with solvent enough finances, to purchase Cascadas with huge mills under the hood.

Through August, the Buick Cascada has outsold the BMW 2 Series, Audi A3, and A5 convertibles combined. In addition, the Cascada attracts 6 out of 10 buyers from outside GM brands. Photo: Buick.

Styling Effects

According to the people from Buick’s Detroit headquarters, one of the most important things is exterior styling. Buick says it’s a top consideration for their customers. Ergo, they offer new red paint. They also offer something called the Dark Effects package. I know, it sounds like a superhero movie sequel, but it is actually a package that features a gloss-black finish on the grille and mirror caps along with 20-inch wheels, as well as body-color trim across the decklid.

On the inside, the new Dark Effects package features red stitching to add contrast to the instrument panel, doors, and seats. The package is paired solely with the new Sport Red exterior color and is available only on the Cascada Sport Touring. On top of that, it is also a limited volume run, with only 150 initial vehicles arriving in dealer showrooms starting February 1st, 2017.

Tony Borroz has spent his entire life around racing antique and sports cars. He means well, even if he has a bias towards lighter, agile cars rather than big engine muscle cars or family sedans.

Photos & Source: Buick

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-16 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-18-16, 06:17 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting tidbit about Buick. Read 2 articles recently that put Buick on the list of highest depreciating cars and that it was traded in after one year of ownership more than any other brand. I personally like the design of the newer Buick line up but definitely wouldn't buy one.
Old 12-18-16, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Interesting tidbit about Buick. Read 2 articles recently that put Buick on the list of highest depreciating cars and that it was traded in after one year of ownership more than any other brand. I personally like the design of the newer Buick line up but definitely wouldn't buy one.
Frequent trading is true of the Regal...not so much with other Buicks. Autoblog, for example (among others), has the Regal in the Top Ten for first-year depreciation, but no other Buicks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Cascada owners trade in quickly if they drive a lot of miles on bumpy roads. Many things on the Cascada were done extremely well, but they did screw up the ride comfort over bumps with those (too-big) 20" wheels and low-profile tires. The 1.6L turbo 4, despite having some 200 HP, is also, IMO, too small for the car's weight.....almost 4000 lbs. of pork, though much of that weight comes from some very effective frame-stiffening.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-16 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-18-16, 05:56 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cascada is still way too dated on the interior to really attract any new import buyers, as they keep trying to position themselves as being able to do. There is no cross shop between this and the A3 Convertible as Buick tells themselves they're competing against.

With regard to depreciation, Buick has one the highest rates of depreciation (from MSRP) across their entire lineup, in the industry. They need to sell them at 20% off MSRP to even move them from the dealer lots. Their overall incentives are some of the highest in each respective segment they're in.
Old 12-18-16, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Cascada is still way too dated on the interior to really attract any new import buyers, as they keep trying to position themselves as being able to do. There is no cross shop between this and the A3 Convertibleas Buick tells themselves they're competing against.
May I refer you to a quote from the article itself?

Through August, the Buick Cascada has outsold the BMW 2 Series, Audi A3, and A5 convertibles combined. In addition, the Cascada attracts 6 out of 10 buyers from outside GM brands.
Old 12-19-16, 06:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

MM, I'm surprised at the Cascada outselling the competition combined. I honestly expected this car to be a flop from the bad name to the pudgy Kia Forte (especially from the A-pillar forward) proportions and styling.

Old 12-19-16, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM, I'm surprised at the Cascada outselling the competition combined. I honestly expected this car to be a flop from the bad name to the pudgy Kia Forte (especially from the A-pillar forward) proportions and styling.

If you remember my initial review of the Cascada (and I think you did read it), I said back then that I thought the Cascada, though somewhat smaller and more cramped in the back seat, had a good chance of being the spiritual successor to the popular but now-discontinued Chrysler Lebaron/Sebring/200 convertible series. The Cascada is also significantly better-built than the Chrysler series, which was roomy and had a good price, but also suffered from rattles, cowl flex, so-so reliability, and a lot of cheap parts. Still, the Chrysler convertibles were good-sellers. I think Chrysler marketers are going to look at the Cascada's sales, and conclude that one reason that the new 200 was not successful was in dropping the ragtop.

Not only is the Cascada replacing the Chrysler convertibles, but it also (along with the VW scandal) seems to have driven the VW Eos folding-hard-top convertible out of business here in the U.S., though the VW Beetle convertible remains in the American-market lineup.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 07:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you remember my initial review of the Cascada (and I think you did read it), I said back then that I thought the Cascada, though somewhat smaller and more cramped in the back seat, had a good chance of being the spiritual successor to the popular but now-discontinued Chrysler Lebaron/Sebring/200 convertible series. The Cascada is also significantly better-built than the Chrysler series, which was roomy and had a good price, but also suffered from rattles, cowl flex, so-so reliability, and a lot of cheap parts. Still, the Chrysler convertibles were good-sellers. I think Chrysler marketers are going to look at the Cascada's sales, and conclude that one reason that the new 200 was not successful was in dropping the ragtop.

Not only is the Cascada replacing the Chrysler convertibles, but it also (along with the VW scandal) seems to have driven the VW Eos folding-hard-top convertible out of business here in the U.S., though the VW Beetle convertible remains in the American-market lineup.
Yeah, when considering the virtually non-existent domestic offerings, the Cascada is in the right place at the right time.
Old 12-19-16, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, when considering the virtually non-existent domestic offerings, the Cascada is in the right place at the right time.
The Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette do offer domestic convertibles, but, of course, they are totally different cars than the Cascada.....RWD and far more performance oriented.
Old 12-19-16, 01:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Personally I don't know why you'd buy the Cascada over a Mustang or Camaro rag top, other than price. I know in the GT and SS trim, with the V8, the Mustang and Camaro rag tops can be rather pricey, but you can get either of them with a 300+hp V6 for 30-40k depending on options.

I mean come on, for the same price you get a dull as dirt 2.0 4 cylinder with 200hp or this ungodly sounding V6 with 335hp in the Camaro

On practical matters, yes the trunk in the Camaro is smaller, maybe the back seat is a bit tighter. But its not like they're that big in the Cascada anyways, that car is only 184" long(I though it was a lot bigger until I looked it up). Ride/comfort, you said yourself the ride is too stiff in the Buick anyways. Style wise, I know this subjective, but Camaro any day of the week, the Buick looks like the VW Eos, a car that came out 10-11 years ago that I never did care for either.
Old 12-19-16, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Personally I don't know why you'd buy the Cascada over a Mustang or Camaro rag top, other than price.
I probably wouldn't.......the 20" wheels and tires are a deal-breaker for me.

I know in the GT and SS trim, with the V8, the Mustang and Camaro rag tops can be rather pricey, but you can get either of them with a 300+hp V6 for 30-40k depending on options.
I am not a power- freak. While it's nice to have, HP and torque in itself does not seduce me.

I mean come on, for the same price you get a dull as dirt 2.0 4 cylinder with 200hp or this ungodly sounding V6 with 335hp in the Camaro
It's a 1.6L turbo, not a 2.0L...and I agree it may be somewhat underpowered, though this is not meant to be a high-performance car.

On practical matters, yes the trunk in the Camaro is smaller, maybe the back seat is a bit tighter. But its not like they're that big in the Cascada anyways, that car is only 184" long(I though it was a lot bigger until I looked it up).
Ragtops and folding-hardtops almost always have smaller trunks than their sedans and coupe counterparts. Like it or not, the top, when down, has to be stowed somewhere.

Ride/comfort, you said yourself the ride is too stiff in the Buick anyways.
Correct. And there really isn't any practical reason for that, either. The designers put those big, oversized wheels on just to show off........I'm not impressed. Those who are interested in this car usually aren't going to want the kind of handling that 20" wheels and tires provide.

the Buick looks like the VW Eos, a car that came out 10-11 years ago that I never did care for either.
The Eos also had a folding hard top. The Cascada has a ragtop...but a very well-installed and insulated one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-16 at 02:15 PM.