Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What truck do you own?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Luckily they still offer the manual V6 Tacoma.

The Colorado just doesn't interest me. I'd still rather a Tacoma. I can't remember if the Colorado offers a V6 4X4 with a manual.
The Colorado restricts the manual (6MT) to 4-cylinder RWD models, and the Canyon doesn't offer a manual at all.
Old 12-18-16, 09:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What are you going to be using this truck for???? IMO 1/2 ton trucks have gotten too big as of late, there isn't much of a size difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton, but you get way beefier axles, shocks, brakes, transmissions, etc in a 3/4 ton truck. If you're going to tow over 4000-5000lbs regularly, I'd go with the 3/4 ton.
Old 12-18-16, 10:10 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thx guys for your thoughts. This truck would be doing some light 3000-4000lbs towing for a small trailer if that. Trucks also have held their resale values than most classes of vehicles thus my interest.

im sure some of you know this but FCA gasoline vehicles come available with a lifetime Maxcare warranty (comparable to the Lexus VSA) so a loaded Ram 1500 limited with air suspension would legally be covered for 99 years, which in itself is an appealing value proposition against the overall brand reliability of FCA. From the trucks I've driven, the Ram Ecodiesel and F150 Ecoboost 3.5 have been the most satisfactory, and the Ram pricing...a $60k msrp truck for $45k can't be ignored.
Old 12-18-16, 10:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I haven't driven the latest GM trucks (have driven the Tahoe and Suburban) but I have driven my friends F150 and my father in law has a new Ram I've driven. Those Rams are REALLY nice, my business partner also had one as a rental when his GS350 was in the body shop and he loved it, thinking about buying one for himself when the lease is up.

I wouldn't even consider a Tundra.
I have a Platinum Tundra with a lot of TRD parts, most notably the TRD supercharger and TRD Pro suspension. 500 hp, 550 lb ft with a factory mid travel suspension. It's pretty quick and handles well, and it's all covered under warranty. It leaves most other trucks in the dust save for some diesels.

I drove a brand new Ram recently. It sounded good, but it was pretty darn slow even compared to my Tundra when it was stock. I would never trade my Tundra for it.

I don't know why the Tundra doesn't get the respect it deserves on these forums, particularly since there is so much love and respect for the LX and LC. Did you know members on ih8mud are installing the Pro suspension on their rigs?

Maybe those that don't like it voice their opinion the loudest. It's a shame that they don't have experience with one before they bad mouth it. It's kind of like the Ridgeline; lots of haters of a great truck, often by those who don't even own a truck.

Btw, check out resale value of the Tundra vs any of the domestics. I think that tells the story right there.
Old 12-19-16, 05:50 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

My neighbor has had two RAMs in the last 8 or so years and despite the poor reliability ratings of the RAM brand, he has not had any major issues with either. He loves his truck and from a styling standpoint, it's arguably the most muscular and aggressive-looking of the big three offerings which may or may not be appealing. In short, I'd likely go with the Ram 1500 among the Big Three but if max towing is not needed, the "right-sized" Tacoma TRD or TRD Pro is definitely my choice for better fuel economy, parking, bullet-proof reliability, macho looks, and superb resale value.
Old 12-19-16, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't know why the Tundra doesn't get the respect it deserves on these forums, particularly since there is so much love and respect for the LX and LC.

Maybe those that don't like it voice their opinion the loudest. It's a shame that they don't have experience with one before they bad mouth it. It's kind of like the Ridgeline; lots of haters of a great truck, often by those who don't even own a truck.
I've tried to be fair in my assessment of the Tundra. In the Toyota tradition, It has always has reliable and well-engineered drive trains. General overall reliability has been better than average. But the 1Gen version wasn't even a true full-sizer to start with...it was a 3/4 (maybe 7/8) truck marketed as a full-sizer but significantly smaller. The 2Gen was a true full-sizer, but used a number of cheap flimsy plastic parts inside and for trim and interior components, and the tailgates sometimes bent under loads. The C-Channel frames generated some controversy....not being an engineer or metallurgist myself, I only pointed out that controversy, rather than try and be a final judge myself. Although today's Tacoma is far better than past versions, Toyota simply didn't take the American full-size truck market seriously for a long time, and it showed.

And, BTW, I agree with you on the Ridgeline. Many were indeed too quick to condemn it for being overly-wimpy and not competitive with big American full-sizers. But it simply wasn't designed to be an American cowboy-grade truck....that was not the intention, and Honda does not even market V8 engines. It does what it was designed to do quite well, and has some ingenious devices on it for hidden storage-compartments. One of my neighbors has an older one and loves it...he plays in a band, and uses it to haul music-related gear around. And my pastor just bought a brand-new one, several weeks ago (he wanted the utility)...trading, of all things, Hyundai Genesis for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-16 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I have a Platinum Tundra with a lot of TRD parts, most notably the TRD supercharger and TRD Pro suspension. 500 hp, 550 lb ft with a factory mid travel suspension. It's pretty quick and handles well, and it's all covered under warranty. It leaves most other trucks in the dust save for some diesels.

I drove a brand new Ram recently. It sounded good, but it was pretty darn slow even compared to my Tundra when it was stock. I would never trade my Tundra for it.

I don't know why the Tundra doesn't get the respect it deserves on these forums, particularly since there is so much love and respect for the LX and LC. Did you know members on ih8mud are installing the Pro suspension on their rigs?

Btw, check out resale value of the Tundra vs any of the domestics. I think that tells the story right there.
While I do agree that the Tundra should get more love from the members on this forum, I think the issue (at least for me) is that when the second generation was released it was so over hyped and Toyota was so confident and bragging about it that when it sort of flopped in terms of quality and overall sales figures, it kind of left you wanting more. Add in that the current Tundra is still riding on a platform from 2007 and the fact that it is the only half ton truck on the U.S. market that does not have a fully boxed frame, I sometimes question the Tundra. I do understand that there are domestic half tons that have a c-channel frame, it should be noted that Toyota trucks from the 1980s and most of the 1990s always had fully boxed frames while the domestic manufacturers did not. The T100 and the pre-Tacoma all had fully boxed frames and Toyota touted this feature in their press materials and brochures. So if a fully boxed frame was good enough then, then why not now? And why do all Toyota trucks outside of North America have a fully boxed frame as their foundation?

The current Tundra after the refresh in 2013 is what the Tundra should of been from the get go in 2007, at the least for the interior. Everything else underneath it is no different than what was released in 2007. As for the LC and LX, they are nice and they get their share accolades from the forum here, but like the Tundra, they still ride around on a chassis and foundation that dates back to 2007 as well. For all the hype about the LC and LX as superior off-road vehicles, it should be pointed out that neither have rear locking differentials, excellent running ground clearance, or good approach/depart angles. Funny enough, the trucks from GM and Ford have lockers, the Raptors has them front, back and center. You can also get them from the Tacoma and 4Runner but not the elite, top of the line, no-option Land Cruiser or the most expensive Lexus (which both used to offer them in the last two gens)

Contrast the Tundra, LC, and LX to what the competition has from Detroit and its a no-brainer why they are considered better trucks. Start at the frame, add in the newer tech from the engines, better fuel economies, unique suspensions in the likes of the Ram, longer powertrain warranties, much better axles/engine configurations etc etc etc.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-19-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 06:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Former Tundra owner (2009 5.7l, bought for towing) here and I'd still recommend one. What we tow - an enclosed trailer with racecar, spares, paddock gear etc - has gotten progressively heavier over the years and we go to much farther racetracks (10 - 20 hour hauls) - so we recently got a 2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax (diesel).

How far do you tow? My understanding is this last year a couple of the higher trim levels got bigger fuel tanks on the Tundra, but the standard 26 gal tank didn't get us more than 2.5 hours driving before having to fill up which was a pain.

The current Tundra design has undergone some facelifts and IMO still holds up, but is nearly 10 years old at this point. I think any of the big 3 will be fine for you as well. The fit and finish on my Tundra was better than the GMC which is top of the line trim, although the GMC is a much more solid towing vehicle and has a ton of technology and luxury features.

I was close between a 2016 Ram Limited 2500 and the GMC as well, couldn't get over the giant RAM on the rear tailgate. Looked into getting the blacked out ones from the Rebel and replacing them, but still.... they're not paying me to advertise with 2 ft tall letters on my truck.
Old 12-19-16, 06:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Former Tundra owner (2009 5.7l, bought for towing) here and I'd still recommend one. What we tow - an enclosed trailer with racecar, spares, paddock gear etc - has gotten progressively heavier over the years and we go to much farther racetracks (10 - 20 hour hauls) - so we recently got a 2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax (diesel).
The Tundra is a good tow vehicle. It was geared to be a towing truck with its rear axle and I believe it still might be the only full size truck that is SAE rated for its tow rating.
Old 12-19-16, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

No hate for the Tundra here, it's just that the trucks from the Big 3 are so good that they eclipse what is also a very good truck. That's why I personally wouldn't consider a Tundra if I were looking for a truck, those American trucks are just so good, and they wrote the book on pickup trucks.

The Ridgeline is also fine for what it is, which is essentially a Pilot with a bed. If you need to really do work with your truck though, that's where the difference lies.

And true with the big RAM letters. They're a bit much.
Old 12-19-16, 09:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Tundra is a good tow vehicle. It was geared to be a towing truck with its rear axle and I believe it still might be the only full size truck that is SAE rated for its tow rating.
As of 2015MY trucks are now J2807 Compliant.
Old 12-19-16, 09:46 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2014 Ram here, no issues at all. It has been a great truck with awesome ride quality and reliability. Only think that sucks are the OEM tires, but I changed mine out before I took delivery (dealer even gave me full credit back for them.)
Old 12-19-16, 09:59 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What about a Toyota Tundra? Same exact powertain as the LX570. Platinum uses same leather as LS480 sedan.
Is that right? I always thought the LX570/Landcruiser had something special/different from a 4-wheel drive drivetrain perspective than any other Lexus/Toyota vehicle. I thought that is the reason why you pay a huge premium.
Old 12-19-16, 10:05 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

we have a 2011 Tacoma DC 4cyl Prerunner. just like our lexuses, I don't plan on letting this one go
Old 12-19-16, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Is that right? I always thought the LX570/Landcruiser had something special/different from a 4-wheel drive drivetrain perspective than any other Lexus/Toyota vehicle. I thought that is the reason why you pay a huge premium.
Yes, different 4WD set ups but powertrain pertains to the the 5.7 and 6 speed (now actually 8 speed for LX and LC) were the same. So I correct to almost the same