Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wow, is Infiniti desperate!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My '10 and '11 S5 Cabs had soft-top roofs and they were much quieter than our hard-top G37. In fact, with the tops up they were almost as quiet as my S5 Coupe.
Was it road noise, though, or wind noise? Road noise, depending on the exact type of tire, its rubber-compund, tread-pattern, and road-surface, tends to be more of a hum or drumming sound, where wind noise can be anywhere form a small whistle to a full-fledged roar.

They also had much less body flex.
Yes....European-designed convertibles, for several reasons, tend to be well-engineered against typical convertible cowl-flex and shake. The Buick Cascada, which is an almost 100% rebadged German Opel Cascada, is especially impressive in that regard for its low-30s price.

It is the amount of road noise that makes it up through the floorboards of the G37 that makes the difference. Didn't get that in the S5. Granted, over $10k difference, so I knew what I was getting into. ;-)
Yes, the 10K may be a factor, but I think a bigger one was simply the A5/S5's engineering.
Old 12-25-16, 07:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My '10 and '11 S5 Cabs had soft-top roofs and they were much quieter than our hard-top G37. In fact, with the dual-layered tops up they were almost as quiet as my S5 Coupe. They also had much less body flex. It is the amount of road noise that makes it up through the floorboards of the G37 that makes the difference. Also, the body flex can cause creaks. Didn't get that in the S5. Granted, over $10k difference, so I knew what I was getting into. ;-)

I will admit that there have been times when I've driven the G37 top-down, and since the Bose system amps up in that setting it has been nothing short of fantastic. It's just with the top up that it is not a great daily driver. We won't own another one.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....European-designed convertibles, for several reasons, tend to be well-engineered against typical convertible cowl-flex and shake. The Buick Cascada, which is an almost 100% rebadged German Opel Cascada, is especially impressive in that regard for its low-30s price.
It really comes down to what price point the car engineered to and if the platform was designed to accept a convertible format to start with. The Lexus IS vert and G37 vert had the distinct disadvantage of being derived from platforms not originally made to handle a vert layout, which caused them to put "bandaids" on the chassis to make up for the loss in structural integrity. That's why the G37 and IS vert are porkers too. I've also noticed plenty of cowl shake on lower end euro convertibles like the Volkswagen Eos vert and Volkswagen C70 vert (both 2012's). Those were old platforms but it was still a bit shocking to me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the 10K may be a factor, but I think a bigger one was simply the A5/S5's engineering.
That's what dseag2 was saying...given the price point difference it's fair to expect the A5/S5 was engineered to a higher standard.
Old 12-25-16, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It really comes down to what price point the car engineered to and if the platform was designed to accept a convertible format to start with. The Lexus IS vert and G37 vert had the distinct disadvantage of being derived from platforms not originally made to handle a vert layout, which caused them to put "bandaids" on the chassis to make up for the loss in structural integrity. That's why the G37 and IS vert are porkers too. I've also noticed plenty of cowl shake on lower end euro convertibles like the Volkswagen Eos vert and Volkswagen C70 vert (both 2012's). Those were old platforms but it was still a bit shocking to me.
Check out a Cascada if you get the opportunity. I don't think you will be disappointed. Though the big 20" wheels give it a rougher-than-necessary ride over bumps, the resistance to cowl flex is quite impressive by the standards of low-priced ragtops.

Volkswagen C70 vert
Did you mean Volvo C70 Vert?

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-16 at 07:53 PM.