Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Six Unusual Drivetrain Layouts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 10:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Six Unusual Drivetrain Layouts.

Here's an interesting video with six of what are (arguably) the most unusual powertrain layouts ever put in a car.....generally these powertrains are in exotic vehicles. Of course, we're talking straight gas-powered vehicles (or gas/alcohol) with internal-combustion engines, not hybrids, fuel-cells, natural-gas, propane, full-electrics, or anything like that.

Old 12-27-16, 12:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I still think the Porsche 911 has the weirdest engine layout of any current car. Rear mounted flat six, over half of the engine hangs over the rear axle. Kind of amazing that Porsche has stuck with the design after all these years and not mounted the engine ahead of the rear axle like they do in the Boxter/Cayman. Also amazing is they've managed to tame and exorcise all the spooky handling characteristics that design naturally gives a chassis. Old 911's(I'm talking air cooled ones from the 60's/70's to the mid/late 80's) were known as widow makers. Enter a corner too hot, car is pushing/understeering, your first reaction is to lift off the gas. Do that in an old 911, the rear end would come around on you and spin the car. Think of it like a pendulum on a clock.
Old 01-06-17, 07:40 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boot & Scoot

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I still think the Porsche 911 has the weirdest engine layout of any current car. Rear mounted flat six, over half of the engine hangs over the rear axle. Kind of amazing that Porsche has stuck with the design after all these years and not mounted the engine ahead of the rear axle like they do in the Boxter/Cayman. Also amazing is they've managed to tame and exorcise all the spooky handling characteristics that design naturally gives a chassis. Old 911's(I'm talking air cooled ones from the 60's/70's to the mid/late 80's) were known as widow makers. Enter a corner too hot, car is pushing/understeering, your first reaction is to lift off the gas. Do that in an old 911, the rear end would come around on you and spin the car. Think of it like a pendulum on a clock.
Yeah, but......Nothing has grip like a 911 when you are on the gas.
Old 01-06-17, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What you describe in older 911s was known as lift-throttle snap-oversteer. It was a classic problem with these cars if you overdid it, were inexperienced in them, didn't practice first, were overconfident, or simply thumbed your nose at the laws of physics.

There are several factors that you can attribute to the fact that modern 911s handle civilly....improved suspensions, larger tires with much better grip, computer engineering, all-wheel-drive, vehicle stability systems, and better weight distribution despite the inherently tail-happy layout.