Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Favorite Car Interiors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
What a car. The thing is, imagine the cowl shake and "looseness" that car probably had. But who cares I guess, what a Cadillac.
Car was body on frame i think, basically like a train car. So i bet it didn’t shake too bad.
Old 07-13-19, 05:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Car was body on frame i think, basically like a train car. So i bet it didn’t shake too bad.
My experience is different, lol. I feel like BOF the whole entire car shakes. Going over huge bumps in my truck, it's vastly different than in my LS430. The whole thing is hard to describe. BOF is rock solid, structurally, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Again, it's hard to explain. It might just be how solid and well engineered my LS is that skews it. Basically nothing within reason upsets an LS430.
Old 07-13-19, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

My experience is different, lol. I feel like BOF the whole entire car shakes. Going over huge bumps in my truck, it's vastly different than in my LS430. The whole thing is hard to describe. BOF is rock solid, structurally, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Again, it's hard to explain. It might just be how solid and well engineered my LS is that skews it. Basically nothing within reason upsets an LS430.
comparing your truck to your ls430 probably has less to do with unibody and bof than it does to the suspension itself (ls430 cushy, truck stiff). that old cadillac had a VERY soft suspension but the vehicle's gigantic length and age meant that bof gives it some structural rigidity.
Old 07-13-19, 05:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

comparing your truck to your ls430 probably has less to do with unibody and bof than it does to the suspension itself (ls430 cushy, truck stiff). that old cadillac had a VERY soft suspension but the vehicle's gigantic length and age meant that bof gives it some structural rigidity.
Right, good points. In any case I would floss the hell out of that Caddy lmao.
Old 07-13-19, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The older American BOF sedans/coupes had a very rigid frame itself, but the bodies attached to that frame (remember, they were two separate units) ended to loosen up and develop squeaks/rattles. Chrysler products, which had rigid unibodies dating as far back as the late 1950s, tended to develop fewer squeaks/rattles that were traceable to the unibody itself, though their poorly-assembled interiors often developed speaks/rattles on their own.
Old 07-14-19, 07:50 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The old body-on-frame vehicles were not necessarily strong and solid, despite the seemingly strong ladder frame and separate body.

The IIHS moderate overlap front crash test of the 1997 to 2003 Ford F-150 proves it. The truck failed miserably.

Old 07-14-19, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ yowza, looks like the frame went down separating from the body, which crumpled like a cheap suit. deadly...

we’ve obviously wandered way off from ‘favorite interiors’.
Old 07-14-19, 03:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

^^^ yowza, looks like the frame went down separating from the body, which crumpled like a cheap suit. deadly...

we’ve obviously wandered way off from ‘favorite interiors’.
Yes, lol. That truck did fail miserably but people aren't taking into consideration the weight of a truck like that in an accident. Running into a brick wall or overlap, what have you is different that a plain-jane accident. I'd rather hit someone head on in my 6000lb Yukon than in my LS430 which is vastly better engineered for safety I would imagine.

A relative who had a 1500 was hit head on by a drunk going 80, he walked away without a scratch. The drunk died instantly.
Old 07-14-19, 08:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, lol. That truck did fail miserably but people aren't taking into consideration the weight of a truck like that in an accident. Running into a brick wall or overlap, what have you is different that a plain-jane accident. I'd rather hit someone head on in my 6000lb Yukon than in my LS430 which is vastly better engineered for safety I would imagine.
Is there evidence to support that body on frame vehicle is going survive better than a non body on frame body in a head on collision?
Old 07-14-19, 09:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is there evidence to support that body on frame vehicle is going survive better than a non body on frame body in a head on collision?
Not that I know of. I'm just saying I know my truck didn't score as well as my LS but I'd rather be in it in an accident. It's higher off the ground and much heavier.
Old 07-15-19, 05:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not that I know of. I'm just saying I know my truck didn't score as well as my LS but I'd rather be in it in an accident. It's higher off the ground and much heavier.
I have read that the heavier the car, the better chance you will survive. Also, the larger the car, the better chance you will survive as well. It is mainly more opinion than it is study or test fact which I am hoping to find.
Old 07-15-19, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have read that the heavier the car, the better chance you will survive. Also, the larger the car, the better chance you will survive as well. It is mainly more opinion than it is study or test fact which I am hoping to find.
With the basic laws of physics, all else equal, yes, weight and size is often an asset for crash-protection. But there are also many other factors to take into account....and well-designed safety features can sometimes compensate for being on the short end of the stick when it comes to physical size. A recent crash-test between a contemporary Chevy Impala and a 1959 Impala, of comparable size, proved that point....the crash-dummies faired far better in the newer design.
Old 07-15-19, 07:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With the basic laws of physics, all else equal, yes, weight and size is often an asset for crash-protection. But there are also many other factors to take into account....and well-designed safety features can sometimes compensate for being on the short end of the stick when it comes to physical size. A recent crash-test between a contemporary Chevy Impala and a 1959 Impala, of comparable size, proved that point....the crash-dummies faired far better in the newer design.
Yeah, I can't really make my mind up which vehicle of mine I would ultimately rather be in a serious accident in (knock on wood, hopefully never). My truck is big and heavy but there are only 2 airbags, and I know for a fact my LS had way more R&D into safety than a Yukon. My LS has I believe 8 airbags and while it's not 6000lbs, it's hardly a light car. I feel like my LS might crumble but the passenger compartment may remain more intact. But then again IDK, you see these accidents where the cars are totaled and the trucks barely have a scratch.
Old 07-15-19, 07:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Not really sure what I'd consider my all time favorite interior. I know the first gen SC would be high on that list.

For cars that I have owned, it would have to be my GSs and, strangely enough, my Tacoma.

Old 07-15-19, 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
strangely enough, my Tacoma.

Interested to know. Why the Tacoma?

Quick Reply: Favorite Car Interiors