Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Discussion: Chevy Trucks vs. GMC...is there a real need for it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 03:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
What? It's not like a Chevrolet has to be terrible, their sweet part is just the mainstream market. Using your logic you could say that Cadillac is also preventing Chevrolet from achieving greatness. In any event they are experimenting with upmarket Chevy's where it makes sense. Below is the Silverado High Country:

I see what you are saying, but there is more to it. (And I am speaking for conditions in big cities, not out in the Heartland of America). When a Chevy finally makes it down to the dealer, and that dealer needs to start selling cars to meet quotas, he/she has to pit that vehicle against all it's peers and all other dealers in that area. Competition is fierce in this industry, and there are many choices people have. That is why "just needs to be mainstream" no longer cuts it today. A car/truck needs to stand out from the others, win awards, and highly achieve in most areas for it to greatly excel. There are too many other choices (in this case, GM's very own GMC) for people to walk next door over to and purchase. Also, the bling factor now has to be there, since purchasers of trucks now expect such things for upscale, trendy, nightlife living. Again, this is more of a metropolitan thing where competition and sales numbers can be huge. GMC gets this, but Chevy cannot. Just how many sales did Chevy miss because the competing GMC was decked out nicer?

As far as Cadillac vs. other GM brands, not quite the same comparison. It's only Chevy and GMC who share body panels (or trim pieces) and dashboards. The other GM brands are separate enough to not have that spill-over. I believe that is why the OP originally chose these two makes for the thread.
Old 01-01-17, 04:32 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I see what you are saying, but there is more to it. (And I am speaking for conditions in big cities, not out in the Heartland of America). When a Chevy finally makes it down to the dealer, and that dealer needs to start selling cars to meet quotas, he/she has to pit that vehicle against all it's peers and all other dealers in that area. Competition is fierce in this industry, and there are many choices people have. That is why "just needs to be mainstream" no longer cuts it today. A car/truck needs to stand out from the others, win awards, and highly achieve in most areas for it to greatly excel. There are too many other choices (in this case, GM's very own GMC) for people to walk next door over to and purchase. Also, the bling factor now has to be there, since purchasers of trucks now expect such things for upscale, trendy, nightlife living. Again, this is more of a metropolitan thing where competition and sales numbers can be huge. GMC gets this, but Chevy cannot. Just how many sales did Chevy miss because the competing GMC was decked out nicer?

As far as Cadillac vs. other GM brands, not quite the same comparison. It's only Chevy and GMC who share body panels (or trim pieces) and dashboards. The other GM brands are separate enough to not have that spill-over. I believe that is why the OP originally chose these two makes for the thread.
1. When I said mainstream, I was referring to the segment. GMC has mainstream offerings and also premium via Denali. In this case "just needs to be mainstream" does indeed cut it, because that's what Chevrolet's entire purpose is.
2. The way your wording your post makes it sound like the GMC offerings are soundly outselling the Chevrolet models, which isn't anywhere near the case. Also absolutely none of Chevy's SUV's and pickups are severely lagging behind in sales compared to most of the competition.
3. I think Chevrolet gets the bling factor just fine. I'm not sure where you'd put more chrome on the front end of your average Silverado. But yes there is indeed a demand for fancier pickups from the lifestyle crowd, which is why I mentioned the High Country model. Regardless it's not like that's ever going to make up the bulk of sales for the pickups. This brings me to my original point- yes the Denali line gives the market something Chevy largely cannot, but Chevy's isn't supposed to be premium. It's right in the heart of the average person's purchasing power along with the mainstream, non-Denali GMC models. And Toyota, for that matter.
Old 01-02-17, 08:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I think it's GM's branding choice - something to provide Buick dealers with an SUV for their showrooms. If you think about the huge sales figures posted by SUVs, Buick showrooms would be rather desolate without the GMC line. While GMC was once the "truck" line of GM, building nothing but working trucks, when SUV's became popular in the mid-80's they morphed their "panel wagon" into a near-luxury vehicle. I understand from a local Buick salesman that dealerships across the country went howling to GM's management for something to offer their buyers, as their dealerships were rapidly becoming the best-lit graveyards in town.

Chevy has the Tahoe/Suburban, Cadillac has the Escalade, and Buick dealers needed a foothold in the market. The GMC, particularly the Denali line, was developed to represent a layer of luxury above the Chevy and just below the Ex. It's a well thought-out package that's aimed at a slightly upscale target market - for the upscale professional who wants something other than a "Chevy" with its cache of blue-collar appeal. You can actually drive your Denali to the Country Club without having to hang your head and park with the staff 'round back.
This is the large reason for the existence of GMC. To allow a "full model line" to be offered through the GMC/Buick franchise locations. Buick models and volumes in itself would be hard to support the fixed operations of a dealership, same with just GMC. Both GMC and Buick have the same premium mainstream positioning. Yes, there is some overlap between the GMC and Buick lines, but they're doing more to differentiate those as well. Acadia became a half size smaller, but kept a passable 3rd row, while the Enclave is expected to remain a larger 3-row crossover.
Old 01-02-17, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Both GMC and Buick have the same premium mainstream positioning. Yes, there is some overlap between the GMC and Buick lines, but they're doing more to differentiate those as well. Acadia became a half size smaller, but kept a passable 3rd row, while the Enclave is expected to remain a larger 3-row crossover.
That's something else that didn't quite make sense to me....having the large, Chevy Traverse crossover SUV and two upmarket versions of it...the GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave, though the Enclave really has a super-bling trim level on it, inside and out, even more so than the Acadia. I understand, BTW, that a new, downsized version of the Traverse and Acadia is coming.
Old 01-02-17, 11:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's something else that didn't quite make sense to me....having the large, Chevy Traverse crossover SUV and two upmarket versions of it...the GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave, though the Enclave really has a super-bling trim level on it, inside and out, even more so than the Acadia. I understand, BTW, that a new, downsized version of the Traverse and Acadia is coming.
Acadia is actually already here and is indeed Grand Cherokee size now. The Traverse is staying large and will have 8-passenger seating available.
Old 01-02-17, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Acadia is actually already here and is indeed Grand Cherokee size now.
And that won't impact on Terrain sales?......though, admittedly, the Terrain is probably closer in size to the Cherokee than to the Grand Cherokee.
Old 01-02-17, 12:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

And that won't impact on Terrain sales?......though, admittedly, the Terrain is probably closer in size to the Cherokee than to the Grand Cherokee.
The Terrain aligns with the Cherokee, but I suppose you may see some people pay more for an Acadia. As a whole GMC will start debuting more rugged designs as they prepare an assault on Jeep.
Old 01-04-17, 12:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Terrain and the Equinox were a bit large compared to most of the other Compact Utilities (CR-V, RAV4, etc), had some comparative fuel economy penalties as a result. The new Equinox (and upcoming Terrain) have been right-sized to be more directly in line with the rest of segment.
Old 01-04-17, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Terrain and the Equinox were a bit large compared to most of the other Compact Utilities (CR-V, RAV4, etc), had some comparative fuel economy penalties as a result. The new Equinox (and upcoming Terrain) have been right-sized to be more directly in line with the rest of segment.
It will be interesting to see if the other GM divisions get a version of the Chinese-built mid-size Buick Envision. The downsizing of the Terrain and Equinox, however, to (possibly) make room for them might be a clue:
Old 01-04-17, 06:29 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

It will be interesting to see if the other GM divisions get a version of the Chinese-built mid-size Buick Envision. The downsizing of the Terrain and Equinox, however, to (possibly) make room for them might be a clue:
There's been rumors swirling of an SUV going in between the Traverse and Equinox for a couple of years, but all indicators point to it being built off a shortened version of the platform under the Acadia.