Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports names '17 A4 #1 in the luxury compact class

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16 | 08:55 AM
GS3Tek

and also AWD.
Old 12-29-16 | 10:16 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

B9 A4 is very impressive per my test drive. If I am in the market in this category of cars, it would on the top of my list.
Old 12-29-16 | 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

why are they almost all awd?
Old 12-29-16 | 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why are they almost all awd?
CR happens to be one of the organizations that appreciates the handling and foul-weather benefits of AWD. It is also a publication that, unlike the enthusiast magazines, is often read and consulted by drivers who are not particularly skilled at driving on slippery surfaces and will often depend on AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-29-16 | 03:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I guess no one knows. Maybe they buy the most popular models or, depending on where they are based (Ct.?) that might be what readily available?
Old 12-29-16 | 06:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Lol, a little defensive there are we? I think CTJill's comment was more tongue-in-cheek instead of serious. But at the end of the day if Audi did knowingly violate any type of emissions law with the new A4 and couldn't meet a correction deadline, there would absolutely be a stop sale. Very seriously doubt that'd be the case though.
Not at all. 1) We were talking about where the A4 ranked, not any possible Audi emissions issues and 2) Jill always seems to feel the need to take a contrarian position when the conversation is rolling along and pretty much everyone is in agreement. I guess it keeps us on our toes. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Consumer Reports names '17 A4 #1 in the luxury compact class-debbie-downer.jpeg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-29-16 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-29-16 | 07:01 PM
Hoovey689

Wonder if the IS would have placed any better had they used the IS350 AWD and not the IS300 AWD. Both utilize a 3.5L V6 but one puts out 306hp vs 255hp
Old 12-29-16 | 08:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder if the IS would have placed any better had they used the IS350 AWD and not the IS300 AWD. Both utilize a 3.5L V6 but one puts out 306hp vs 255hp
Probably so. The IS350 AWD is a very competitive car that deserves to be higher in the rankings.
Old 12-29-16 | 08:27 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

As critical as I've been of the current 3-series, I still feel it is the marginally the best in it class. It is the most well-rounded entry level sports sedan. The Audi's interior is a notch above and the Merc's is two notches up, but the Bimmer is still nice and it's still slightly more entertaining to drive with superior powertrain options. Anyhow, I suppose it's my personal bias because I care a lot more about driving dynamics than 95% of people. The A4 is probably the better car for the majority of folks who don't care about engines, chassis engineering, and steering response.

BMW needs to get it right with the next 3er because the F30 was so lukewarm, otherwise they'll be left in the dust. The F30 is basically a refreshed E90 with more modern tech and watered down driving dynamics. It's a marginally better "car" than the E90 but not even close to being a better BMW. They barely pushed the buck forward with the new model whereas Mercedes and Audi really did their homework and put a lot more effort into their redesigns.

I don't think BMW did enough with the new 7-series from a design standpoint but they've never understood the full-size flagship sedan market well. They know the midsize market well and appear to have done their homework with the upcoming 5-series. Let's hope that bodes well for the 3er.

Last edited by BrownPride; 12-29-16 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-29-16 | 11:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Both utilize a 3.5L V6 but one puts out 306hp vs 255hp
One of the dumbest and strangest things I have seen Lexus do.
Old 12-30-16 | 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
As critical as I've been of the current 3-series, I still feel it is the marginally the best in it class. It is the most well-rounded entry level sports sedan. The Audi's interior is a notch above and the Merc's is two notches up, but the Bimmer is still nice and it's still slightly more entertaining to drive with superior powertrain options. Anyhow, I suppose it's my personal bias because I care a lot more about driving dynamics than 95% of people. The A4 is probably the better car for the majority of folks who don't care about engines, chassis engineering, and steering response.

BMW needs to get it right with the next 3er because the F30 was so lukewarm, otherwise they'll be left in the dust. The F30 is basically a refreshed E90 with more modern tech and watered down driving dynamics. It's a marginally better "car" than the E90 but not even close to being a better BMW. They barely pushed the buck forward with the new model whereas Mercedes and Audi really did their homework and put a lot more effort into their redesigns.
The main problem with the current 3-series is that they dumped what was (arguably) the best hydraulic power-steering system in the world outside of a Porsche for the distinctively-less-tactile electric unit of today. It does the job, but just doesn't have the same feel. And why was it dumped? To avoid the problems associated with servicing it and fluid-leaks, of course, but the main reason was that the electric boosters put slightly less drag on the engine and marginally (probably less than 1 MPG) improve mileage. As for me, I'd rather have the old system and pay (slightly) more at the pumps.
Old 12-30-16 | 10:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
One of the dumbest and strangest things I have seen Lexus do.
Mercedes did that in the facelift last-gen C-class. C300 4-matic sedan got a detuned version of the C350's motor.
Old 12-30-16 | 11:22 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main problem with the current 3-series is that they dumped what was (arguably) the best hydraulic power-steering system in the world outside of a Porsche for the distinctively-less-tactile electric unit of today. It does the job, but just doesn't have the same feel. And why was it dumped? To avoid the problems associated with servicing it and fluid-leaks, of course, but the main reason was that the electric boosters put slightly less drag on the engine and marginally (probably less than 1 MPG) improve mileage. As for me, I'd rather have the old system and pay (slightly) more at the pumps.
Very well said. C&D has also pressed some BMW execs on this and they've reiterated that their "customers" don't want heavy, tactile steering.

It's such a shame really. The bean counters have basically made it clear that people like me don't matter to the company anymore. Whenever I drive my E90 I experience both a feeling of joy and sadness; joy because of how excellent and communicative the steering and chassis are, but sadness because I know it's likely that no BMW will ever give me that joyful feeling again through my fingertips.
Old 12-30-16 | 02:11 PM
Hoovey689

1. Audi A4 Premium Plus, overall score 85 points
2. Buick Regal Premium I, 81 points
3. BMW 328d xDrive, 78 points
4. BMW 330i xDrive, 78 points
5. Volvo S60 T5, 73 points
6. Mercedes Benz C300 4MATIC, 71 points
7. Infiniti Q50 3.0t Premium AWD, 71 points
8. Lexus IS 300, AWD, 66 points
9. Cadillac ATS Luxury 2.0T, 60 points
10. Acura TLX SH-AWD, 55 points
Wonder where would the Jaguar XE and Alfa Romeo Giulia would fall on this list?
Old 12-30-16 | 02:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Very well said. C&D has also pressed some BMW execs on this and they've reiterated that their "customers" don't want heavy, tactile steering.

It's such a shame really. The bean counters have basically made it clear that people like me don't matter to the company anymore. Whenever I drive my E90 I experience both a feeling of joy and sadness; joy because of how excellent and communicative the steering and chassis are, but sadness because I know it's likely that no BMW will ever give me that joyful feeling again through my fingertips.
The 3 and 5 series have gone more mainstream and thus softer and more isolated to appeal to wider range of consumers. But go ahead and try enthusiast oriented 2 series, and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports names '17 A4 #1 in the luxury compact class