Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 10:48 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
One of my pet peeves as well. I travel a lot, and just imagine this at the airport when spaces are limited and you don't know whether the person is arriving or leaving.
and then the idiot finally decides to leave as you drive pass by him

If I'm not leaving, I'll signal to them that I won't be leaving.
Old 12-31-16, 07:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Not to hijack this thread, but this is what the switch looks like. What used to be the off position is now auto.

I guess MB has finally figured out that too many people are too dumb to remember that they put the switch to OFF, and can't be trusted to think on their own.
Old 12-31-16, 08:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In addition to the 6 points of parking-etiquette mentioned in the OP, I'd add a seventh (and it's something I practice myself). If you have a vehicle (as many vehicles are nowadays) where the doors lock from the key fob, and the horn toots to signal that the doors are locked, before you just mindlessly press that lock button and sound the horn, take a quick look around you (it should only take a couple of seconds) and see if someone near your space is loading big packages in or out of their vehicle, a mother (or father) is trying to strap in kids or car-seats, or an old or disabled person is struggling to get in and out of a vehicle. If they aren't expecting it, a sudden horn blast (particularly from American or European-brand vehicles, which tend to have a louder and more blaring horn-tone than Asian-brands) could not only startle them but make them drop things or perhaps even injure themselves if they slip and fall. if you don't see anyone that could be startled or disrupted, THEN go ahead and hit the key and lock the doors. Or, of course, simply do it with the master power-lock switch inside before shutting the drivers' door. IMO, this is simple human courtesy.

Some vehicles, of course, don't toot the horn while remotely locking the doors unless you actually press the button twice....but, when you press it only once and the horn doesn't sound, it may not (?) lock all of the doors, just the passenger doors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-31-16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 08:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In addition to the 6 points of parking-etiquette mentioned in the OP, I'd add a seventh (and it's something I practice myself). If you have a vehicle (as many vehicles are nowadays) where the doors lock from the key fob, and the horn toots to signal that the doors are locked, before you just mindlessly press that lock button and sound the horn, take a quick look around you (it should only take a couple of seconds) and see if someone near your space is loading big packages in or out of their vehicle, a mother (or father) is trying to strap in kids or car-seats, or an old or disabled person is struggling to get in and out of a vehicle. If they aren't expecting it, a sudden horn blast (particularly from American or European-brand vehicles, which tend to have a louder and more blaring horn-tone than Asian-brands) could not only startle them but make them drop things or perhaps even injure themselves if they slip and fall. if you don't see anyone that could be startled or disrupted, THEN go ahead and hit the key and lock the doors. Or, of course, simply do it with the master power-lock switch inside before shutting the drivers' door. IMO, this is simple human courtesy.

Some vehicles, of course, don't toot the horn while remotely locking the doors unless you actually press the button twice....but, when you press it only once and the horn doesn't sound, it may not (?) lock all of the doors, just the passenger doors.
My mom is the worst about this. Her Honda locks silently, and then if you press lock again, you get the horn--great system, so as not to annoy people, or wake neighbors if you come home late. But, in variably, she wants to "be sure" the car is locked--so she presses the lock button on the fob 2x. And I'm sure there are many out there just like that.

I've given up on expecting that my fellow citizens will be courteous. Sad.
Old 12-31-16, 08:37 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I know with my BMW lock once no horn. Lock twice horn blows. For the alarm to set though you have to press lock twice. If you only press lock once the alarm doesn't set.
Old 12-31-16, 08:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

All automakers should therefore follow the Toyota / Lexus example. Lock it once (with the keyfob or on the door handle with push-button ignitions) and it beeps (NOT the horn); lock it again and it beeps; lock it a 3rd time and it still only beeps
Old 12-31-16, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
All automakers should therefore follow the Toyota / Lexus example. Lock it once (with the keyfob or on the door handle with push-button ignitions) and it beeps (NOT the horn); lock it again and it beeps; lock it a 3rd time and it still only beeps
I agree. Why some fobs are like that, and why some beep the horn, is past me....unless, for some reason, it's cheaper just to wire it through the horn-relay. The horn, of course, is part of some factory anti-theft alarm devices, which are also wired to the electric door-locks.
Old 01-01-17, 06:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I agree. Why some fobs are like that, and why some beep the horn, is past me....unless, for some reason, it's cheaper just to wire it through the horn-relay. The horn, of course, is part of some factory anti-theft alarm devices, which are also wired to the electric door-locks.
Bingo. The part that beeps may be cheap, but multiply that by 1000s and 1000s of cars sold.
Old 01-01-17, 02:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Previous generation MB cars had the high pitched chirp, much like the one that the audis have. I actually liked it. Now, the new MBs switched to the horn beeping, exactly like all the non premium brands. I now turn it off and have to just check my mirrors to see if they folded. The salesman said people complained about the previous sound so they had to switch it. maybe the high pitch was a bit too much for the elderly too
Old 01-01-17, 06:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
and then the idiot finally decides to leave as you drive pass by him

If I'm not leaving, I'll signal to them that I won't be leaving.
Yep, you got it!
Old 01-01-17, 06:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Previous generation MB cars had the high pitched chirp, much like the one that the audis have. I actually liked it. Now, the new MBs switched to the horn beeping, exactly like all the non premium brands. I now turn it off and have to just check my mirrors to see if they folded. The salesman said people complained about the previous sound so they had to switch it. maybe the high pitch was a bit too much for the elderly too
Yes, I like the "chirp" my A4 makes. No need to try a second time to see if it has locked.
Old 01-01-17, 07:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Attached Thumbnails The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette-photo896.jpg  
Old 01-01-17, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One factor in this discussion that hasn't (yet) been brought up is that parking-lot owners themselves may bear part of the blame. The natural inclination for lot and buisness-owners, like airlines trying to cram as many seats as possible into an airplane cabin, is to make some spaces narrower than they should be for best side-access and ding-protection on the cars. That way, they squeeze in more spaces, more vehicles, and more sales. It's all money-driven......just like so much else in the auto and business worlds. As they see it, if the vehicles in the lot get dinged from careless people (or from hard nuts falling off of trees), so what?...........as long as they get their money and sales.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-17 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-02-17, 07:28 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

One factor in this discussion that hasn't (yet) been brought up is that parking-lot owners themselves may bear part of the blame. The natural inclination for lot and buisness-owners, like airlines trying to cram as many seats as possible into an airplane cabin, is to make some spaces narrower than they should be for best side-access and ding-protection on the cars. That way, they squeeze in more spaces, more vehicles, and more sales. It's all money-driven......just like so much else in the auto and business worlds. As they see it, if the vehicles in the lot get dinged from careless people (or from hard nuts falling off of trees), so what?...........as long as they get their money and sales.
that is the fault of municipalities. They regulate how many parking spaces each business must have. How big each space must be. How much space between rows. Now true an owner can make spaces bigger if they desire, but they can't when they have to have X number of spots.
Old 01-02-17, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coleroad
that is the fault of municipalities. They regulate how many parking spaces each business must have. How big each space must be. How much space between rows. Now true an owner can make spaces bigger if they desire, but they can't when they have to have X number of spots.
I'm not an expert on this, but, from my understanding, the only spaces in parking-lots that are actually regulated and/or mandated are the Handicapped/Disabled ones, with the signs, blue/white markings and crosshatch-zones between the spaces. They were regulated by the Americans with Disabilities Act, which was Federal legislation, not local municipalities.

Quick Reply: The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette