Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 6 Dos and Don'ts of Parking Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17 | 07:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not an expert on this, but, from my understanding, the only spaces in parking-lots that are actually regulated and/or mandated are the Handicapped/Disabled ones, with the signs, blue/white markings and crosshatch-zones between the spaces. They were regulated by the Americans with Disabilities Act, which was Federal legislation, not local municipalities.
No--as stated above by coleroad, municipalities have requirements as to how many spaces are required based on a use type (office, restaurant, fitness facility, etc.), and how large the spaces need to be. This is for all parking spaces, not just HCP. It's part of zoning requirements.
Old 01-02-17 | 07:50 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

When you get your building plans approved by the city township whatever. Their building codes determine how many spaces, minimum size of regular spots. The size of the fire lane. True that the ADA regulates handicap spots. Building codes change sometimes drastically from town to town. State to state requirements change also. When a municipality wants a certain businesses they are more willing to give waivers on certain things. When they don't want a business they adhere to the codes strictly. In Michigan Meijer wanted to put a store in Corunna. Meijer had to make the store slightly smaller because of the parking spots required. By making the store smaller helped in two way. They needed less spots, and gave them room for more. The city didn't want the store, but it got built anyway.
Old 01-02-17 | 08:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

My workplace is a perfect example of that. The city has limited us to something around 18,000 parking spaces yet we have over 20,000 employees at this site. Parking is a constant issue.
Old 01-02-17 | 09:42 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My workplace is a perfect example of that. The city has limited us to something around 18,000 parking spaces yet we have over 20,000 employees at this site. Parking is a constant issue.
I honestly can't fathom using a parking lot/garage this large. That's massive.
Old 01-02-17 | 09:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I honestly can't fathom using a parking lot/garage this large. That's massive.
It's a daily battle. Not my favorite part of the job. You want to talk about parking etiquette, I've seen it all.
Old 01-02-17 | 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
When you get your building plans approved by the city township whatever. Their building codes determine how many spaces, minimum size of regular spots.
OK, having no direct evidence otherwise, I'll take your word for it. See.........I'm not stubborn.

I can just imagine trying to fit the BIG, 60s-vintage, full-size Buick and Chrysler I owned when I was in college into one of today's typical spaces....those two cars were each about 80" wide. One might not even be able to get the tires, much less the whole car itself, in between the two white lines. And the front or rear end would stick out like a sore thumb LOL.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Sounds to me like that is being done to encourage carpooling, bicycles, public-transit (if available), or other alternate-methods of commuting. It's like having a quart-sized jug and trying to pour a gallon of water into it....obviously some of the water will have to go somewhere else.