Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As quickly as she came, she went - 2017 A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 08:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Well I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

Your assessment of the A4 sums up my thoughts about that car and the Audi brand as a whole: incredibly well-rounded luxury vehicles that unfortunately don't get the blood pumping. Handsome yet forgettable styling, high-quality but "cold" feeling interiors, and a good but not memorable driving experience.
Thanks! You also summed it up nicely.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with that trend line hopefully you'll have the IS more than 6 DAYS.

very honest of you to say (much respect) and thanks for not being one of those who claimed they didn't lose anything in such a transaction. and while it's not peanuts, if we spend much of any time in a vehicle, that's not a big amount to make sure we're happy doing so!
It would have cost me almost 10k at Audi for a trade in to an S3 which I briefly considered just to see if my loss would be minimal. Was not the case and Lexus (and my sales rep) did not disappoint.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You can actually keep the Lexus more than 3 years without worrying that everything's gonna take a big dump on you. Good call on the switch.
It's a good point. The A4 did have minor issues, more by design, which bugged me a bit but was not the reason for the trade in.
Old 01-07-17, 07:17 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You can actually keep the Lexus more than 3 years without worrying that everything's gonna take a big dump on you. Good call on the switch.
i think he could have done that with the audi, too. audi has been quickly rising in reliability as of late.
Old 01-07-17, 08:49 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You did manage to note the Audi A4's biggest criticism from many media outlets (and me); it's exceedingly competent but boring.
Originally Posted by BrownPride
Your assessment of the A4 sums up my thoughts about that car and the Audi brand as a whole: incredibly well-rounded luxury vehicles that unfortunately don't get the blood pumping. Handsome yet forgettable styling, high-quality but "cold" feeling interiors, and a good but not memorable driving experience.
Originally Posted by davyjordi
i wonder what dseag2 has to say about this.
Originally Posted by dseag2
......***crickets***.......
Old 01-07-17, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

What does it matter what he says? Everybody likes different things out of a car. For instance I wouldn't even consider an IS compared to an A4, the IS just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Just because corrodo found the car wasn't for him doesn't mean its not a great car, or that people who do like them are wrong.
Old 01-07-17, 08:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I find it funny how, in 10 years, Audis went from ugly to boring. And how, in 5 years, Lexus has gone from boring to aggressive.

I remember 10+ years ago, when that large Audi Singleframe (trademarked) grille first came out, there was much the same reaction to it as there is now to the Lexus spindle grille. Now it is accepted and hardly ever described as ugly; Audis now are described as "elegant" or even "boring" (hints of Toyota Camry come in here).

And 5+ years ago, Lexus was described as "derivative" of other (read German) designs, or even "boring". Now Lexus is described as aggressive.
Old 01-07-17, 09:06 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

congratulations corradomr2!!! You're wife must be pretty awesome to let you keep switching cars like that haha. No red interior on this one?! I briefly remembered when you were getting your First IS you wanted red interior. Also I personally like the new IS, I transitioned from a 14IS to a 16GSF and still miss my IS sometimes believe it or not. It was just so tight and sporty. Don't get me wrong i Love my GSF but something about the 3IS just really pops.

Anyway enjoy it in good health! and congrats again!!
Old 01-07-17, 09:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Congrats. A little surprised you didn't go with the 350 as the trade in loss was much higher than the premium of the 350. I say if you're gonna take a bath, make it a big one
Old 01-07-17, 10:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What does it matter what he says? Everybody likes different things out of a car. For instance I wouldn't even consider an IS compared to an A4, the IS just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Just because corrodo found the car wasn't for him doesn't mean its not a great car, or that people who do like them are wrong.
i wasn't implying that when i wrote my comment wondering about what dseag2 had to say. i was genuinely curious if he felt on some plane the same or if he had any insightful commentary to offer as he is the other active member in car chat who has an A4. i didn't mean to belittle or offend.
Old 01-07-17, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

i wasn't implying that when i wrote my comment wondering about what dseag2 had to say. i was genuinely curious if he felt on some plane the same or if he had any insightful commentary to offer as he is the other active member in car chat who has an A4. i didn't mean to belittle or offend.
Wasn't replying to you, it was the implication from another poster (quoting "crickets" by him) that perhaps dseag was choosing to ignore the thread.
Old 01-07-17, 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Too bad you didn't pick up a TT or TT convertible.
Old 01-07-17, 02:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by shivad87
congratulations corradomr2!!! You're wife must be pretty awesome to let you keep switching cars like that haha. No red interior on this one?! I briefly remembered when you were getting your First IS you wanted red interior. Also I personally like the new IS, I transitioned from a 14IS to a 16GSF and still miss my IS sometimes believe it or not. It was just so tight and sporty. Don't get me wrong i Love my GSF but something about the 3IS just really pops.

Anyway enjoy it in good health! and congrats again!!
Thanks! Likely due to its 300lb lighter weight, I too find the IS at times more fun to drive than the RC F.

You have a good memory. This time around, no R. Red interior since wife and I have had our share of it in the NX. If we had the light gray offering in Canada like you do in the US, it's the interior color I'd take this time.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Congrats. A little surprised you didn't go with the 350 as the trade in loss was much higher than the premium of the 350. I say if you're gonna take a bath, make it a big one
Thanks! Was a matter of drawing the line at the 6.5K loss since I just couldn't justify the additional 4K premium for the 350 for a 0.5s quicker 0-60. Now, if this was two years ago, no brainer I'd bite the bullet and go for the 350 over the 250 due to the significant 2+ sec difference 0-60.

EDIT: here's a quick shot of #WhiteThunderIS I took this afternoon. Love the aggressive new front end.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-07-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 06:14 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Shocked it was so soon but not surprised. Welcome back to a complete Lexus family. I have the same feeling, after a 3 series Bimmer. It just didn't cut it for me.

I have to look back at my records but I just may have beat you on time of ownership and miles driven. I bought a CT200h and traded it in on a RX after one month. The dealer was very good to me.

Now, I saw a quick reference that the NX is history for a RX? Your my hero.
Old 01-08-17, 10:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Shocked it was so soon but not surprised. Welcome back to a complete Lexus family. I have the same feeling, after a 3 series Bimmer. It just didn't cut it for me.

I have to look back at my records but I just may have beat you on time of ownership and miles driven. I bought a CT200h and traded it in on a RX after one month. The dealer was very good to me.

Now, I saw a quick reference that the NX is history for a RX? Your my hero.
Haha, you caught that. Not everyone did or made comment to it. RX on its way end of month/early Feb.

Wow, you did beat me on the ownership duration but perhaps not the 850 miles mileage lol.
Old 01-08-17, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i wonder what dseag2 has to say about this.

anyhow, congratulations on the new IS!
I am happy for him. Here's what I had to say...

​​​​​​"Just saw the news, Corrado. I know you've been leaning toward the IS, and choice of car is a very personal preference so I'm glad you got what you wanted.

Many years ago I owned a '99 Acura TL. I had always wanted a BMW and loved the looks of the coupe at the time. On a whim, I bought a '00 BMW 330Ci. I tried to love it, but there were things about it that just didn't suit me. I traded it after 8 months for an '01 Lexus GS300.

This time around I'm happy with my German car, but I can totally relate. Best of luck with your IS. Hard to go wrong with either brand. I'll see you in CL!"
Old 01-08-17, 08:10 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Wasn't replying to you, it was the implication from another poster (quoting "crickets" by him) that perhaps dseag was choosing to ignore the thread.
I didn't ignore the thread. I was actually out of the country on business when this twist of fate took place. I am very happy for Corrado because if there was one car that ticked all the boxes we would all be driving it. It is great that we have so many options these days. I wish Corrado all the best with his new IS. I am a multi-Lexus owner myself.

Quick Reply: As quickly as she came, she went - 2017 A4