Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 07:56 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Picked them up at Kia headquarters in CA to deliver for journalist review.
Motor Trend is doing complete testing now!
Old 07-31-17, 08:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Motor Trend is doing complete testing now!
Are you breaking embargo by admitting this?
Old 07-31-17, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Are you breaking embargo by admitting this?

No offense, but Screw embargos. There's too much secrecy and hiding in the industry, before car-introductions, as it is.
Old 08-01-17, 07:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This makes me laugh, RWD available, brembo 4 piston brakes in front, 2 piston in rear.....thank you for offering what the big guys (Toyota and Honda) don't!! SWEET! (please offer a stick at least on the 4 cyl and I might be sold)
Old 08-01-17, 07:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This makes me laugh, RWD available, brembo 4 piston brakes in front, 2 piston in rear.....thank you for offering what the big guys (Toyota and Honda) don't!! SWEET! (please offer a stick at least on the 4 cyl and I might be sold)
I think you overestimate what the general public wants from Toyota and Honda. This new car from the KIA, while nice (saw it at the autoshow) is not for the Toyota and Honda crowd.
Old 08-01-17, 07:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you overestimate what the general public wants from Toyota and Honda. This new car from the KIA, while nice (saw it at the autoshow) is not for the Toyota and Honda crowd.
True, I am confident Toyota and Honda know their markets (I did find it interesting the Camry gets 4 exhaust tips)....it always seems the less established are hungrier and can think out of the box. To get an executive from BMW's M division was pretty swift and seems to mean business....
Old 08-01-17, 02:00 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

hatchbacks are so practical. Americans don't get it.
Old 08-01-17, 02:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

True, I am confident Toyota and Honda know their markets (I did find it interesting the Camry gets 4 exhaust tips)....it always seems the less established are hungrier and can think out of the box. To get an executive from BMW's M division was pretty swift and seems to mean business....
I don't think the KIA Stinger is going to do very well. Yes, it will very likely get sensational reviews and accolades, but usually people in that segment RWD will go towards a BMW or Cadillac, Lexus etc.

As for the quad exhaust tips. Very few are going to buy that feature. Very few will buy the up level trim level for that matter. Those models are designed to please the press and some skeptics. Most people in America just want a practical car that is roomy, efficient, has features and is reliable.
Old 08-01-17, 05:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the KIA Stinger is going to do very well. Yes, it will very likely get sensational reviews and accolades, but usually people in that segment RWD will go towards a BMW or Cadillac, Lexus etc.
It doesn't have to do well. Kia and its corporate twin Hyundai have plenty of mass market sellers for people who don't care about badges or FWD vs RWD. It's just something they're likely doing to put a bit of image and bite into their product line.

Cadillac's ATS hasn't done well either and neither has Chevy's Holden SS but it hasn't discouraged those companies from putting them out there. Yes, the Stinger is aimed at the enthusiast crowd and online magazine fans. But it makes the automotive landscape that much more interesting for car buyers.

As for the quad exhaust tips. Very few are going to buy that feature. Very few will buy the up level trim level for that matter. Those models are designed to please the press and some skeptics. Most people in America just want a practical car that is roomy, efficient, has features and is reliable.
The new Camry has quad exhaust tips and that's a big seller for Toyota. Will potential Camry buyers turn away from that snout and those tips?
Old 08-01-17, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The new Camry has quad exhaust tips and that's a big seller for Toyota. Will potential Camry buyers turn away from that snout and those tips?
Probably could care less. Exhaust pipes are just about the last thing that the average Camry buyer is concerned with. Most of them buy and drive their cars as simply Point-A to Point-B machines.....basic transportation with a touch of comfort.

(And, obviously, most Camry buyers will not be cross-shopping a Stinger, although they might look at the Kia Optima, which IMO is an excellent Camry competitor)
Old 08-01-17, 07:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
(And, obviously, most Camry buyers will not be cross-shopping a Stinger, although they might look at the Kia Optima, which IMO is an excellent Camry competitor)
Yeah, I agree about the Optima. I'm not necessarily a fan of the hunchback, hatchback, fastback styling on it, but it still is distinctive and it gets really good reviews.
Old 08-01-17, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Most people in America just want a practical car that is roomy, efficient, has features and is reliable.
most isn't all, and there's plenty of room for vehicles other than camry's and accords (and a zillion cuv/suvs and trucks). this new stinger doesn't have to sell in huge numbers to be considered successful by kia.

if lexus had brought out a car like this, the forum would be gushing over it.
Old 08-01-17, 08:28 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Kia has to do this. To prove that it is a worthy competitor to the "big boys" like Chevrolet, Ford, VW and Toyota, and not just a seller of small, cheap compacts and subcompacts, it has to prove that it can design and build a serious RWD, driver's car.
Old 08-01-17, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Given the high-quality hardware found on most of today's Hyundai/Kia/Genesis products, it's not a bit surprising that Brembos would be used on the Stinger...Brembos are some of the best non-ceramic brakes available. Kia, IMO, offers some remarkably well-built vehicles for the price.
Old 08-02-17, 05:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
It doesn't have to do well. Kia and its corporate twin Hyundai have plenty of mass market sellers for people who don't care about badges or FWD vs RWD. It's just something they're likely doing to put a bit of image and bite into their product line.

Cadillac's ATS hasn't done well either and neither has Chevy's Holden SS but it hasn't discouraged those companies from putting them out there. Yes, the Stinger is aimed at the enthusiast crowd and online magazine fans. But it makes the automotive landscape that much more interesting for car buyers.

I had always thought that 4 exhaust tips meant there was something going on with the power train. Yesterday, I was behind a Range Rover, and it had 4 exhaust tips. This told me it wasn't the regular Range Rover.

Again, nobody has really ever answered and I don't remember, but I've always been curious who created the fake dual exhaust phenom. Honda and Toyota certainly had them dating back to the 90's, but I don't know if they started the trend. It's curious that many cos., say Subaru, followed the trend, and then backed off. I once saw an newer Outback wagon, where one of the two mufflers was totally rusted. My hunch was the rusted side sustained an accident and a cheap replacement part was used by a body shop....unless there is something under the hood to back up those tips, I would say remove them...

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!