Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 12:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Sure, the Stinger's interior looks better than the average KIA but I would not call it luxurious. You want a luxurious interior, look at a C class or an A4.
Sure, it's not the C-Class or the A4, which are the tops of the luxury sector. But I think the term luxurious can absolutely still apply for a description of the Stinger interior, especially for a full zoot GT. But of course, opinions are like a$$holes....

Old 09-25-17, 01:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Sure, it's not the C-Class or the A4, which are the tops of the luxury sector. But I think the term luxurious can absolutely still apply for a description of the Stinger interior, especially for a full zoot GT. But of course, opinions are like a$$holes....

Yes they are!

But I agree, I don’t understand the bashing here. No, it is not as luxurious as the C Class, but it will certainly be cheaper than it also. If this interior is not good enough to hang with the Germans, then I don’t see how the Q50 or 3IS can because this is at minimum on par with the other competitors in this segment.
Old 09-25-17, 01:50 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures of the interior look pretty good but how do those materials feel? Will they hold up after a couple of years? What I like is how this will push other manufactures to add these features to their car. There is no reason the Q50 RS shouldn't have heads up display, folding mirrors and cooled seats. I think the Maxima even has those things. Yes it may bump the price up a little but I'd pay for that.
Old 09-25-17, 04:46 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those features you mentioned are nice to have but these are compact sport sedans and I'm judging them on performance and handling. In terms of performance and handling the Stinger comes up short compared to the Q50 Red Sport 400. Q50 Red Sport 400 is faster to 60 mph, pulls higher G's, quicker through the slalom and stops shorter
could not the same be said of the c43 vs. the q50? or the ats-v? see how things work when one does not factor in price or cost?

By the way, the Q50 does have blind spot monitoring, fwd collision and rear parking sensors.
the base rs400 (no options) has those things? or you misread my post?

Does the Stinger have: Backup Collision Intervention, Lane Departure Prevention, Blind Spot Intervention, Moving Object Detection, Auto leveling Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) or Around View Monitor?
do you know for certain it does not? please post a link that lists all available US market stinger features and options for the rest of us to review

Originally Posted by Kense
There is no reason the Q50 RS shouldn't have heads up display, folding mirrors and cooled seats. I think the Maxima even has those things. Yes it may bump the price up a little but I'd pay for that.
i agree 110%.
Old 09-25-17, 05:16 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

On another note... I didn’t realize how similar the Stingers bottom cushions are to the 3IS F Sport ones. I glanced at it and had to do a double take.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!-photo54.jpg   2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!-photo49.jpg  
Old 09-25-17, 05:56 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Kia Stinger is playing in a very hotly reviewed and contested market. So you have gear heads who will dissect every paper spec you can find in the same way the latest iPhone or Samsung gets compared on some benchmark scale. Nothing wrong with that if you drive to those benchmarks every day out on public roads. These are useful numbers but they do not define the everyday real world driving experience.

The Germans have good material quality and fit/finish. And they have over the years met high driving feel and road handling standards. The Stinger is only in its first generation and the fact that it is already getting reasonably favorable reviews compared to its peers is quite a feat.

The Q50 is an edgy looking sedan but I've seen a few of them around and honestly, the styling just does not look that unique to me in the real world vs pictures. The Q60 is another matter - very nice coupe with a style all its own. This class of cars is about driving vs gadgets.
Old 09-25-17, 06:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Yes they are!

But I agree, I don €™t understand the bashing here. No, it is not as luxurious as the C Class, but it will certainly be cheaper than it also. If this interior is not good enough to hang with the Germans, then I don €™t see how the Q50 or 3IS can because this is at minimum on par with the other competitors in this segment.
I think the Stinger interior design looks a little better then the G70 though the G70 likely has better materials once you sit in it.
Old 09-25-17, 07:58 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317

So you're telling me that the Stinger's interior is better than this:

or this:

These interiors are from so called 2nd tier luxury auto makers which in my opinion are better interior designs. The Stinger's interior looks busy and not nicely laid out, you have buttons all over the place and doesn't scream luxury, just another slightly better KIA interior.
Old 09-25-17, 08:07 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

So you're telling me that the Stinger's interior is better than this:

or this:

These interiors are from so called 2nd tier luxury auto makers which in my opinion are better interior designs. The Stinger's interior looks busy and not nicely laid out, you have buttons all over the place and doesn't scream luxury, just another slightly better KIA interior.
I actually would choose the Kia over those two models basing decision on the interior. Both the TLX and Q50 suffer from similar issues. The materials are low-ish rate and they have two different screens with two different finishes and resolutions(what were they thinking!). Also they have no machined buttons, *****, dials, nothing. The Kia at least jazzes it up with some nice metal (or faux) buttons.
Old 09-25-17, 08:46 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by BoDarville
could not the same be said of the c43 vs. the q50? or the ats-v? see how things work when one does not factor in price or cost?
Q50 Red Sport 400 isn't an ATS-V competitor but it is as fast if not faster than the C43.

the base rs400 (no options) has those things? or you misread my post?
Blind spot monitoring, fwd collision and rear parking sensors are standard on the Q50 Red Sport 400.

do you know for certain it does not? please post a link that lists all available US market stinger features and options for the rest of us to review
http://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/stinger/2018
Old 09-25-17, 08:52 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

I actually would choose the Kia over those two models basing decision on the interior. Both the TLX and Q50 suffer from similar issues. The materials are low-ish rate and they have two different screens with two different finishes and resolutions(what were they thinking!). Also they have no machined buttons, *****, dials, nothing. The Kia at least jazzes it up with some nice metal (or faux) buttons.
I'm not sure about the TLX but on the Q50 there are redundant buttons that surround the display for things like volume, fan speed, etc. I actually prefer the clean, simple and integrated look of dual screens. On the Stinger it looks like a tombstone stuck on top of the dash with buttons peppering the dash and centre console.
Old 09-26-17, 08:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So you're telling me that the Stinger's interior is better than thisr this: These interiors are from so called 2nd tier luxury auto makers which in my opinion are better interior designs. The Stinger's interior looks busy and not nicely laid out, you have buttons all over the place and doesn't scream luxury, just another slightly better KIA interior.
Yes, in my opinion, which everyone is entitled to, I think the Stinger's interior is better than those. I've driven and interacted with all 3 interior fairly extensively. The Stinger's buttons are well organized, intuitive to use, and I think they have a good feel to them. Everyone's interpretation of luxury can be different, and that's why there are lot of different choices.
Old 09-26-17, 08:54 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you feel about the BMW 3 and 4 series interiors because materials in there feel cheaper than the Q50. BMW seats are scratchy and feel like cheap leather unless you're talking a 5 series and up, but nobody ever complains about BMW seats which I find are horrible and cheap feeling.
Old 09-26-17, 09:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think the Stinger interior design looks a little better then the G70 though the G70 likely has better materials once you sit in it.
I agree with you that the Stinger interior does look better than the G70.
Gotta feel and fondle the materials to see which is better

As a matter of I fact, I prefer the looks over the IS (and I'm a lexus fan).
Old 09-26-17, 03:42 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

4000 pounds. quite porky

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!