Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 08:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
4000 pounds. quite porky
Definitely hefty. but relatively in line with the Lexus GS. GS 350 AWD is about 3,900 pounds. They should be pretty similar in size. ~190 inches in length, etc. 540i xDrive is 4,019 pounds. I know the Stinger is priced more with the IS and 3 Series, but just wanted to highlight the size is a little bit more comparable to the segment above.
Old 09-27-17, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2018 Kia Stinger will start at $32,795

The 2018 Stinger proves that Kia can indeed make a credible performance sedan. And now we know exactly how much it will cost to park the rear-wheel-drive hatchback in your garage. The 2018 Kia Stinger starts at $32,795 with its standard 255-horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Opting for all-wheel drive, which is available across the board, bumps the price up by $2,200. A Stinger with the premium package that brings LED lights, a sunroof, power seats, navigation, and a nice sound system will set you back just under $38,000.

If you want a Stinger GT and its 3.3-liter twin-turbo 365-hp V6, expect a sticker of at least $39,895. A fully loaded Stinger GT2 will run $50,395. That sounds pricey, but only if you're basing your buying decision on the badge. We tested this performance-bred Kia on the world's best-known race circuit, the Nurburgring, and came away mightily impressed. The Stinger is aimed at premium brands like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz, and with that in mind, it's priced appropriately. Only time will tell if the car-buying public at large agrees. We'll find out soon; the Stinger will hit dealerships within the next few weeks.
weeks

Source
Old 09-27-17, 05:23 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
weeks
Autoblog an Aussie publication?
Old 09-27-17, 06:12 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F1Driver
[T]hese are compact sport sedans and I'm judging them on performance and handling. In terms of performance and handling the Stinger comes up short compared to the Q50 Red Sport 400. Q50 Red Sport 400 is faster to 60 mph, pulls higher G's, quicker through the slalom and stops shorter.
if the pricing reported on Jalopnik & Car Connection is accurate, and the 3.3T starts at $39K, then as suspected the stinger competes in pricing with the Q50 Silver Sport, NOT the Red Sport. so if you judge compact sports sedans (if the stinger & q50 can even be called that) on performance and handling, how does the SS stack up against the stinger? provocative.....

https://jalopnik.com/the-hatch-excellent-2018-kia-stinger-will-start-at-32-1818811469

Last edited by BoDarville; 09-27-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 06:49 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoDarville
if the pricing reported on Jalopnik & Car Connection is accurate, and the 3.3T starts at $39K, then as suspected the stinger competes in pricing with the Q50 Silver Sport, NOT the Red Sport. so if you judge compact sports sedans (if the stinger & q50 can even be called that) on performance and handling, how does the SS stack up against the stinger? provocative.....

https://jalopnik.com/the-hatch-excel...-32-1818811469
Why would the Stinger in highest trim (GT) compete with a middle trim Q50? That does not make any sense. The highest Q50 trim is the Red Sport 400 which costs several thousands of dollars less than a MB C43 but performs as well if not better than the C43. The same cannot be said for the Stinger GT. It may cost less than either the Q50 Red Sport 400 or the C43 but it cannot perform as well as those two cars. By the way, the SS blows the doors off the Stinger GT but considering the SS costs more that is to be expected no less.
Old 09-27-17, 07:02 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Optioned out, the Stinger GT will most likely sticker for $47-$50K.
The buyers needed to move those vehicles will not be happy with Kia’s dealership experience. They won’t let you test drive a Kia Soul until you tell them how much per month you’re willing to pay. I sure as hell don’t want some inexperienced 20 something year old salesman in a ill fitting suit asking me about how I plan on paying for a Kia.
Old 09-27-17, 08:18 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Why would the Stinger in highest trim (GT) compete with a middle trim Q50? That does not make any sense. The highest Q50 trim is the Red Sport 400 which costs several thousands of dollars less than a MB C43 but performs as well if not better than the C43. The same cannot be said for the Stinger GT. It may cost less than either the Q50 Red Sport 400 or the C43 but it cannot perform as well as those two cars. By the way, the SS blows the doors off the Stinger GT but considering the SS costs more that is to be expected no less.
you are just being a contrarian, plain & simple. now you have shifted your argument to the highest optioned out trim GT2, whereas before you stated you measured sports sedans simply on handling & performance, not on luxury features. nice try on shifting your argument. the 3.3T can be had for $39K - there is no V6 q50 that sells for less, so it make perfect sense to compare performance to the Silver Sport Q50 that also starts at $39K, NOT the red sport that starts at $52K. Please explain how the 300 hp 3.0t Silver Sport Q50 blows the doors off the 365hp stinger? I fully expect you to side-step that explanation with the Chewbacca defense ("Look at the monkey! Look at the silly little monkey!")
Old 09-27-17, 09:42 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

you are just being a contrarian, plain & simple. now you have shifted your argument to the highest optioned out trim GT2, whereas before you stated you measured sports sedans simply on handling & performance, not on luxury features. nice try on shifting your argument. the 3.3T can be had for $39K - there is no V6 q50 that sells for less, so it make perfect sense to compare performance to the Silver Sport Q50 that also starts at $39K, NOT the red sport that starts at $52K. Please explain how the 300 hp 3.0t Silver Sport Q50 blows the doors off the 365hp stinger? I fully expect you to side-step that explanation with the Chewbacca defense ("Look at the monkey! Look at the silly little monkey!")
You do realize the Q50 has 3 engine trims (not including the hybrid), right? A 2L turbo 4, a 3L 300 hp turbo 6 and a 3L 400 hp turbo 6. The Stinger only has two engine trims: 2L turbo 4 and 3.3L turbo 6. The 3.3L turbo 6 is the Stinger's highest engine trim level. If I had to spell that out then I'm sorry you cannot be helped. I was arguing on performance and handling, nowhere did I bring cost into the argument. You might want to go back and look at what I wrote.

I know how much you want to like/love the Stinger GT. The bottom line is, it's a slower, poorer handling "sport sedan" that can't even compete with the Japanese, let alone the Germans. Considering KIA is targetting potential BMW, MB and Audi shoppers with the Stinger I don't know who in their right mind would want to spend $33K+ on a KIA. Buyers shopping for a BMW, MB or Audi aren't looking to save a few pennies. And for that reason and that reason alone, KIA will be having a hard time snagging potential BMW, MB and Audi buyers. The BMW, MB and Audi showroom and service centre experience alone are worth the extra $$ you spend on the cars.

P.S. SS as in Chevrolet SS that someone in a previous reply mentioned. The SS will blow the doors off the Stinger GT for only a few grand more. Too bad 2017 is the last year for the SS. Competition is good.
Old 09-28-17, 12:03 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Same old same old stuff there. The goofy VW beetle roof line. If they would dare copy the SLS gulwing, or Challenger, or Camaro roof line they might have something.
Auto styling has gone down the sewer for many years now.
Old 09-28-17, 03:32 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

You do realize the Q50 has 3 engine trims (not including the hybrid), right? A 2L turbo 4, a 3L 300 hp turbo 6 and a 3L 400 hp turbo 6. The Stinger only has two engine trims: 2L turbo 4 and 3.3L turbo 6. The 3.3L turbo 6 is the Stinger's highest engine trim level. If I had to spell that out then I'm sorry you cannot be helped. I was arguing on performance and handling, nowhere did I bring cost into the argument. You might want to go back and look at what I wrote.
actually you did bring cost into the argument, go back and look at what you wrote. you do realize the cadillac ats has 3 engine trims, right? A 2L turbo 4, a 335hp NA 6 and a 464hp turbo 6. The 3.6T is the ATS highest trim level. So if cost means nothing, then the highest trim ATS is a compact sports sedan that outperforms the red sport. you can not have your cake (saying cost means nothing) and eat it too (arbitrarily deciding which compact sports sedans compete with the Q50). If you persist on this fallacious reasoning, then you cannot be helped
Old 09-28-17, 11:09 AM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't have driven the C43 and still consider this remotely true. By virtually all driving standards, the C43 is a better car than the Q50/Q60 RS. I would consider the Q50/60 RS 4th in a line up against the 440, S4/S5, C43.
Old 09-28-17, 02:57 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

actually you did bring cost into the argument, go back and look at what you wrote. you do realize the cadillac ats has 3 engine trims, right? A 2L turbo 4, a 335hp NA 6 and a 464hp turbo 6. The 3.6T is the ATS highest trim level. So if cost means nothing, then the highest trim ATS is a compact sports sedan that outperforms the red sport. you can not have your cake (saying cost means nothing) and eat it too (arbitrarily deciding which compact sports sedans compete with the Q50). If you persist on this fallacious reasoning, then you cannot be helped
Care to quote me where I mentioned costs in my original argument? I would like to see that myself. You might want to look at the ATS-V's competitors. I'll give you a hint, they start with the letters: M, AMG and RS. The Red Sport 400 isn't a tracked focus car like the V, M, AMG or RS cars. I dare you to show me any reviews comparing the Red Sport 400 to V/M/AMG/RS cars.
Old 09-28-17, 03:02 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5ilver
You can't have driven the C43 and still consider this remotely true. By virtually all driving standards, the C43 is a better car than the Q50/Q60 RS. I would consider the Q50/60 RS 4th in a line up against the 440, S4/S5, C43.
Why not? The Red Sport 400 accelerates just as fast. Feels just as grippy. The only drawback to the Red Sport 400 is the extra 150 lbs. over the C43.
Old 09-28-17, 03:35 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5ilver
Just curious but better in what way , Interior yes but you said driving standards. What makes the C43 a better drivers car? Once you change the tires on the RS400 it becomes a different feeling car. Runflats are trash, the C43 has a better transmission but still gets out performed by the RS. Some AWD RS's have run 4.3 0-60 times stock.
Old 09-28-17, 07:27 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Care to quote me where I mentioned costs in my original argument? I would like to see that myself. You might want to look at the ATS-V's competitors. I'll give you a hint, they start with the letters: M, AMG and RS. The Red Sport 400 isn't a tracked focus car like the V, M, AMG or RS cars. I dare you to show me any reviews comparing the Red Sport 400 to V/M/AMG/RS cars.
no, i have no need to continue destroying your numerous contradictions after having already sunk your battleship. instead i will leave you marooned on a desert island to carry on arguing with yourself, like a crazy homeless cat lady, with only your own words to reflect upon for your remaining lonely existence:

I get the feeling you like arguing just for the sake of arguing because you are seriously lacking any logic.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!