Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 10:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ The Taurus SHO is a boat compared to this car. Its also really cramped inside, like cramped for a midsize car, its comically bad how little room you get for the size of the car. Plus its very outdated, I think its been on the market for 6-7 years ago and uses the platform/chassis from an old Volvo, back when Ford owned Volvo.

Better comparison would be the new Ford Fusion Sport. If we are talking cars with a proper chassis, I'd say this goes head to head against the Lexus IS/GS lines, Infiniti Q50, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, and Benz C-class, Cadillac ATS. I see it being priced more line with the lower trim Lexus IS, Q50, Audi A3(although that is smaller), Benz CLA(yuck!!). Stuff like the C-class, BMW 3 series, Audi A4 are going to be more money, maybe A LOT more money depending on equipment/options, unless you get something like the poverty spec BMW 320i with vinyl seats, crank windows, etc.
Old 06-28-17, 11:27 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Why does this car somewhat remind me of a Alfa Romeo?
Old 06-29-17, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Why does this car somewhat remind me of a Alfa Romeo?
Because it will (probably) drive like one, at a much lower price.
Old 06-29-17, 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Because it will (probably) drive like one, at a much lower price.
and be more reliable. and a better warranty.
Old 06-29-17, 09:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This car is already impressive and beating many luxury makes, can't wait to see what the even nicer Genesis version of it is like.
Old 06-29-17, 10:12 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a nice discussion with the Hyundai sales manager when I went in to check out the Genesis G80 Sport. He confirmed that the Stinger is smaller and lighter than the G80 even though the Stinger GT uses the same engine as the G80 Sport. Genesis will be getting their smaller car (G70) a bit later than the Stinger's release, but he says they will have a sport model with Stinger performance in a sedan body. Apparently the Stinger and G70 share a platform and drive train but the bodies are dramatically different. He also has been told that Genesis will get a coupe on this platform, but didn't know when. He expects the 4 cyl. G70 pricing to start in the low $30k range and the V-6 to reach $45K+. They will overlap a fancy Sonata at the bottom end and a base G80 at the top. What he really wants is a Genesis specific crossover.
Steve
Old 06-29-17, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
What almost everyone really wants is a Genesis specific crossover.
..... fixed.
Old 06-29-17, 01:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and be more reliable. and a better warranty.
And a lot cheaper, a base model, 4 cylinder Guila is 37K, no options. You want a six cylinder?? You have to step up to the red hot crazy Gulia Quadrifidgetspinneriligio(however the hell you spell it), which is a twin turbo six, 505hp, very stiff suspension, and $72,000. Alfa really needs a mid-range model here, its like BMW only selling the 325i and the M3.

And the reliability part is spot on as well, its a shame the Italian arm of FCA can't pull their heads out of their own asses on quality control. Some of the major auto-rags have had problems with their test Guilas, from squeaks, rattles, check engine lights, to one of them even konking out completely during the test needing a tow.
Old 07-01-17, 02:10 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
This car is already impressive and beating many luxury makes, can't wait to see what the even nicer Genesis version of it is like.
how is a car that is not even for sale and has no real world performance, efficiency or reliability data beating many luxury makes? only on the internet....
Old 07-02-17, 09:05 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Regardless of how stunning this car is, what will determine if this car sells are weight and pricing. I read on another forum that the GT AWD trim will hit close to 4,000 pounds (3,968 pounds to be exact) and if it is priced close to $50,000 then it will have a tough time selling. The premium compact sport sedan segment is one tough segment to crack given the usual dominant players (e.g. 3 series, A4, C class) and fierce competition between the less dominant players (e.g. Q50, IS, TLX, ATS). Just for comparison, an Infiniti Q50 AWD Red Sport 400 weighs 4,005 pounds, costs $50,700 and has 400 hp. And that's before the Infiniti badge.
add to this that this segment is shrinking as a whole, plus the fact that genesis is bringing the g70 into this same market, means that kia has to keep this priced well enough below the others AND return decent mpg numbers AND demonstrate impeccable reliability else sell in niche quantities similar to giulia, xe or even ats nowadays
Old 07-03-17, 10:14 PM
canibeat
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoDarville
how is a car that is not even for sale and has no real world performance, efficiency or reliability data beating many luxury makes? only on the internet....
+1 lol. def agree
Old 07-15-17, 04:30 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove a base Stinger recently, very impressed overall. Like the looks, the front end looks lower than in pictures. Drives great, excellent comfort & handling, chassis feels very stiff. Interior looks & feels nicer & sportier than other Kia's. Looking forward to driving a GT!
Old 07-17-17, 05:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Drove a Stinger GT awd today! Very impressed with the suspension & chassis, especially in sport mode, for an everyday car it is perfect as delivered. Also like the interior design & the seats fit me very nicely.
Old 07-17-17, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive

I drove a base Stinger recently, very impressed overall.

Drove a Stinger GT awd today! Very impressed with the suspension & chassis, especially in sport mode, for an everyday car it is perfect as delivered. Also like the interior design & the seats fit me very nicely.

Where did you get a chance to drive them? It looks like they haven't even been released yet in most areas.
Old 07-20-17, 05:52 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where did you get a chance to drive them? It looks like they haven't even been released yet in most areas.
Picked them up at Kia headquarters in CA to deliver for journalist review.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!