Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 02:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Agree about 4 cylinder turbos in general, but to clarify, the Mazda6 is not a turbo.
Old 01-10-17, 02:26 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I love it!
Much better than the current design, inside and out.
They mention wheelbase has been extended and frame is more rigid giving it better control ride.

Red one is the XSE (sport version)

silver is the hybrid. I'm glad toyota differentiated the 2.

as I said.. premium price and a base model look.. yuck on the hybrid front end..
Old 01-10-17, 03:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Camry update is interesting. Again i think its pretty much a homerun.
Looks good, 8speed auto across the range, more power, class leading V6, more standard features.
Bravo!

Whats interesting is Toyota kept the V6 in it and didnt downsize to 4cyl only even though nobody would protest too much if it was dropped. As in this class of car other features / criteria are more important.

But then in the LS - they decided to downsize to V6 only.
Many people would be complaining including me, can't stand 4 cylinders replacing good 6 cylinders. I am glad they kept the V6, huge selling point to me over adding useless apps/lane keep assist/monitoring systems, and other pointless features like that I never use. Plenty of people are also complaining about a 6 cylinder in the LS replacing the V8.

The Camry looks like the previous Gen Hyundai Sonata which I am not really a fan of. Not really a fan of the interior either, looks needlessly complicated to use. Keeping the 6 cylinder is nice especially with adding D4S DI and I read they went with a dual wishbone setup which is very interesting, in some ways the new Camry has a more advanced suspension and engine then the Lexus ES now.
Old 01-10-17, 04:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
obviously they added to structural rigidity since 20yrs ago, every Fmc and mmc mentions it.

Considering euro mags like how new tnga vehickes drive, we should be in for a treat... Interior finally looks great and engines should be class leading.
I distinctly remember that at every FMC, no matter if it was a completely new platform or not, Toyota advertised that torsional rigidity increased some double-digit percentage.
Old 01-10-17, 04:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyot...-drive-review/

dear god yes, about time, toyota, i knew ya could.
You did not quote enough...

The wheels—ranging from 16-inchers on the base LE to 19 inches on the pull-no-punches XSE—have been lured out of their usual hiding in the wheelwells. The rear suspension is totally recomposed—proper double A-arms substituting for the old struts.
Toyota got rid of the rear Mac struts and replaced it with a double-wishbone.
Old 01-10-17, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Agree about 4 cylinder turbos in general, but to clarify, the Mazda6 is not a turbo.
A few limited-producton MazdaSpeed6 turbos were done over the years, but, for the most part, you are correct.....N/A only.
Old 01-11-17, 06:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
obviously they added to structural rigidity since 20yrs ago, every Fmc and mmc mentions it.

Considering euro mags like how new tnga vehickes drive, we should be in for a treat... Interior finally looks great and engines should be class leading.
I'm sure they did to meet safety regulations but so has the prius and that went up by 60%. Basically what this means they brought the structural rigidity up to ES (with laser welds and glues and whatnot) levels or a bit more.
Old 01-11-17, 06:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I distinctly remember that at every FMC, no matter if it was a completely new platform or not, Toyota advertised that torsional rigidity increased some double-digit percentage.
Strange. Maybe its my memory but I recall every new generation of Camry and Highlander introduction, I purposely look for info regarding structural changes and rigidity increases and I dont read anything in magazines. So I figured it wasnt worth mentioning.
Old 01-11-17, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

You did not quote enough...
yup, that's another great upgrade for the camry! looks like the bean counters were overruled for once!
Old 01-11-17, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Mac struts are often used on FWD vehicles where space-saving issues on the suspension are paramount. They save a significant amount of space, of course, because they combine the shock, spring, and bushing all into one single, compact unit. I often see the argument that Macs are used because of cost-cutting, but that is only partially true. Leaf springs are probably the cheapest way to go if cost and simplicity alone were an issue. But leaf springs take up a lot of space, and are best-suited for heavy loads....which is why you see them mostly on pickup trucks with live rear axles, and not on compact or mid-side sedans and coupes.
Old 01-11-17, 01:37 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front end looks lost. They keep forcing in mass market appeal into the front. This is their 3rd attempt to get it right with the camry.

the sonanta and optima both look much better.

the camry sales is officially finished.
Old 01-11-17, 01:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
the camry sales is officially finished.
2018 will be the last year of the Camry.
Old 01-11-17, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
2018 will be the last year of the Camry.
You're kidding right?

They could make the Camry look like the Flintstones car and it would sell 25k units a month.
Old 01-11-17, 02:23 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Not for nothing but I think it looks great. I really like it, first time I really like a Camry lol. Too bad it's still front wheel drive
Old 01-11-17, 07:17 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Many people would be complaining including me, can't stand 4 cylinders replacing good 6 cylinders. I am glad they kept the V6, huge selling point to me over adding useless apps/lane keep assist/monitoring systems, and other pointless features like that I never use. Plenty of people are also complaining about a 6 cylinder in the LS replacing the V8.

The Camry looks like the previous Gen Hyundai Sonata which I am not really a fan of. Not really a fan of the interior either, looks needlessly complicated to use. Keeping the 6 cylinder is nice especially with adding D4S DI and I read they went with a dual wishbone setup which is very interesting, in some ways the new Camry has a more advanced suspension and engine then the Lexus ES now.
A bit off topic, but I have also been a raving fan of V6's vs. I4's. Probably the last 10 cars I've owned have had V6's (with a V8 Infiniti M45 thrown in for kicks), so I said I would never go with a 4-cylinder. That all changed when I test drove my '17 A4. The I4 with the turbo is not only smooth and quiet and has great torque, but the front end is less heavy so it feels very tossable. I think my A4 pretty much equals my '13 GS F Sport in performance... straight-line or otherwise.. even though that had a V6. Automakers are becoming much more sophisticated with their I4s and I no longer feel like I'm stepping down to own one.

Back on topic, I do think it is great selling feature that Toyota still offers a V6 in the Camry. They compete most closely with the Honda Accord, which also offers a V6. However, I think the vast majority of each of those cars will be sold with a 4-cylinder engine.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed