Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 10:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I think the bottom line is, Toyota can itself do no harm on the camry. Its a volume seller that everyone knows is a great mid size saloon. No fancy tricks, no fancy engines simple as pie.
Is it overstyled, updated for the next generation with a platform that will carry it onto the next 2 decades?
hell yeah.

Will car reviewer nitpick at the small details?
YUP (already hearing too firm seats, no carplay android auto support)
Old 06-14-17, 06:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

At least PHEV's with much bigger lion batteries, much bigger electric motors, more acceleration, and more decent full electric vehicle range like the more modern C350e, 330e and Toyota Prius Prime - can claim to be a hybrid electric vehicle.
_
I agree.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, TMC must take the next step more quickly, and bring in the Camry "Prime" PHEV with a much bigger Lion battery in the trunk, much bigger electric motors, for much more power, economy, and electric range, to bridge the gap to full blown electric vehicles.
Prius Prime is here, but how long will it take us to get Camry Prime and ES350p Prime PHEV's??
I don't think we are going to see a Camry Prime or a E350p Prime. Having a gas Camry, a hybrid Camry, a plug in Camry is going to muddle to picture. I honestly don't think most people want to have to plug their car in although if Tesla tells them that, they would want to do it. Plus raising the MSRP of a potential Camry plug in hybrid is not going to be successful.
Old 06-14-17, 07:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I could not care any less about how good the engine power specs may be; that is all just a p!$$ing match between the automakers and auto critics. All I care about is that this car is still a Camry.

Did Toyota give up anything to bring about the high power specs? Will this new car still drive and ride like a Camry? Is it still smooth and quiet, and an excellent long-distance cruiser? Will it still have good fuel economy? Will it still have a roomy rear seat and a roomy trunk? If it has given up any of these traditional Camry characteristics, I will be disappointed.

I don't care if the new Camry is sportier than the Accord. My wife already has an Accord (and I don't find it that sporty). I want a smooth and quiet Camry.

Will this new Camry steal sales from Avalon and ES? It may, in its first year, before the Avalon and ES themselves are replaced with new models. The fall in sales for the 2018 Avalon and ES may be expected though, given that 2018 will likely be the final year for the current Avalon and ES before they too are replaced with new TNGA-based models.

As the Avalon and ES are based on the Camry, and new models typically come about 1 year after the new Camry, I am expecting new Avalon and ES for 2019, both on the TNGA platform, and both boasting the same improvements (such as more powerful engines and different styling) that the 2018 Camry brings.

Based on this profile shot, I am not a big fan of the new styling; I think that it is a bit overstyled. But given that this is probably a photo that has been enhanced to highlight light and shadows, the actual car -- especially if it is in a different (darker) colour -- may not look so exaggerated.
Can people still saying that the Avalon and ES is based on the Camry when all 3 models are on the TNGA? Wouldnt it be more appropriate to say that that the Avalon and ES will be based on the TNGA? If we want to go by who used this platform first, then we will have to say the Camry is based off of the Prius and CHR and all future Toyotas will just be tarted up Priis and CHRs..
Old 06-14-17, 09:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Can people still saying that the Avalon and ES is based on the Camry when all 3 models are on the TNGA? Wouldnt it be more appropriate to say that that the Avalon and ES will be based on the TNGA? If we want to go by who used this platform first, then we will have to say the Camry is based off of the Prius and CHR and all future Toyotas will just be tarted up Priis and CHRs..
From what I have read on various reviews or first comments about the Camry, they call it the full iteration of the TNGA platform. Judging by the past, everything basically starts off with the Camry platform, from there they branch out the Avalon, ES, Highlander, Rx, or Sienna. So I kind of would say that the TNGA platform was designed and built around the Camry in mind first, then everything else after that.

As for the ES, I firmly believe and predict it will move to the Lexus G-AL platform and become larger while the Toyota Avalon will stay TNGA.
Old 06-14-17, 10:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
From photos thus far, I'm not liking what I see. It is overstyled, plain and simple. I'm hoping it looks better in person, which often is the case.
I saw it in person at the auto show. I didn't love it. But I am sure it will grow on me. It looks substantially larger and more of a presence. It really seems to look like it is moving up the price point ladder. But they, only had two different models on display and they were both fully loaded versions. Also, there was not 2017 Camry models on display to reference. I guess that was done on purpose.
Old 06-14-17, 10:09 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

so myself and a few other salesmen went to one of those bs toyota product knowledge classes yesterday, as we do from time to time... this one was slightly different in that TSS-P was demonstrated using the 2018 Camry! having now personally experienced it, i can say there's already a noticeable improvement over the outgoing camry.

as we know (or maybe some don't yet) it's based on the TNGA platform and even though we never went above 30 or so you can tell this is a smooth, refined vehicle. interior is nice, doesn't blow you away or anything but it's a camry so who cares, it doesn't need to. they use a cardboard cutout of a car to demonstrate the automatic braking, and with the toyota representative doing absolutely nothing both camrys they were using came to a full stop EVERY single time, even with about the exact same amount of room between the car and the cardboard

this new car does seem to ride noticeably lower than the existing car (pre-production press car maybe?) but i don't imagine there will be any ground clearance issues. i do think the front of the car might be a bit much but whatever not the worst thing. so far what IS the worst thing (for me at least) was that they moved the cruise control stalk from the usual perfect place it is on toyotas, right around the 4:30 position on the wheel, to being right on the front face of the wheel at 3:00 where it is on many other cars. BIG disappointment for me, i always thought the toyota cruise control location was PERFECT since it's basically exactly where i hold the wheel and it's where toyota has put it for literally decades. i'm not dismissing the entire car just over that but i am a bit sad they moved it for seemingly no reason

i'm very excited to get my hands on one of the V6 XSE models though seems like it'll be fun
Old 06-14-17, 10:52 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like LED headlights, Navigation & TSS-P will be standard across the line up.
Old 06-14-17, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
Looks like LED headlights, Navigation & TSS-P will be standard across the line up.
Makes sense does it not?
Old 06-14-17, 12:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree.

I don't think we are going to see a Camry Prime or a E350p Prime. Having a gas Camry, a hybrid Camry, a plug in Camry is going to muddle to picture. I honestly don't think most people want to have to plug their car in although if Tesla tells them that, they would want to do it. Plus raising the MSRP of a potential Camry plug in hybrid is not going to be successful.
Yes, you're right.
A Camry Prime would be much too expensive now.
Presently a Camry Hybrid is ideal for Toyota from a price point, but owners must accept the lack lustre performance, and poor electric vehicle only range.

I suspect they should start with a Lexus ES350p Prime PHEV - I'm sure Lexus owners would want to distance themselves from Camry Hybrids, with more performance, more economy, and much greater full electric vehicle range.
Do most PHEV owners really plug-in recharge, or do they just use the gasoline motor to recharge the battery pack?

One generation, and 6 years later, say 2024 - PHEV technology could trickle into the Camry, and replace the Camry Hybrid outright as a Camry Prime PHEV.
It's sort of like the direct fuel injection technology being used in the GS for the past ten years, finally trickling down into the Highlander SUV, and into the forthcoming 2018 Camry 3.5 V6.
Ditto the 8 speed auto tricking down into the Highlander and Camry too...
Old 06-21-17, 05:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The 4 cylinder gets 28 city/39 hwy and 32 combined. Pretty impressive. 203hp and class leading fuel economy. (91 octane is required for this)

Hybrid version 51 mpg city, 53 mpg highway, and 52 mpg combined for LE. (91 octane is required for this)

SE and SE and XLE versions stick with a nickel-metal hydride pack that results in 44 mpg city, 47 mpg highway, and 46 mpg combined.

The reviews are now out.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-21-17 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 06:53 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive indeed !

Old 06-21-17, 08:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I do like it, but their achilles heels seem to be the powerplants, again they're going for marketing HP numbers....wonder how it will stack up to Accord...
Old 06-21-17, 08:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I do like it, but their achilles heels seem to be the powerplants, again they're going for marketing HP numbers....wonder how it will stack up to Accord...
I don't completely disagree with you, but the engines are quite impressive (i've driven all 3 engine variants) and ultimately smooth, and should be able to achieve consistent fuel economy (unlike turbos which vary wildly). The only downside is that all of these ratings for the 4 cylinder and hybrid need Premium Fuel, which I highly doubt a Camry owner is going to be okay with pumping into their car, given that so many Lexus people question it as well.
Old 06-21-17, 09:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't completely disagree with you, but the engines are quite impressive (i've driven all 3 engine variants) and ultimately smooth, and should be able to achieve consistent fuel economy (unlike turbos which vary wildly). The only downside is that all of these ratings for the 4 cylinder and hybrid need Premium Fuel, which I highly doubt a Camry owner is going to be okay with pumping into their car, given that so many Lexus people question it as well.
I guess whenever I see HP number far exceed the torque number, I think in my mind the HP number is at an unrealistic rpm, and was done for marketing reasons....no different than GM with their V6. Depending on the flavor it could be 330 HP, 270 torque, 306 HP, 270 torque, 288 HP, 270 torque, etc. imho two of the worst examples of this were the Acura TSX and Toyota Celica, when they would advertise 200 HP, and 140 ft. lbs. The premium would be a serious downer, the vehicles aren't even turbocharged. That means they were tuned to have higher numbers that could be advertised....again, I like the car, but those would be my reservations....put a 4 cyl that does 250 HP and 280 ft. lbs....the FWD is what it is...
Old 06-21-17, 09:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What does this mean?

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed