Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 05:48 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Toyota didn't have to resort to those fuel saving tricks (or auto stop/start for that matter). They overhauled the new 4-cylinder on both NA and hybrid models by utilizing a higher compression ratio 13.1 (14.1 hybrid), along with both port and direct injection, increased stroke, cooled exhaust gas recirculation system, variable cooling system and oil pump, and variable valve timing that utilizes an electric motor instead of oil pressure.
what he said
Old 06-21-17, 10:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Attractive front on this hybrid. The mpg regardless of Li-On battery or not is impressive. ESh and NXh need these new powertrains ASAP.

You are being generous, my friend. I have yet to hear anyone call the hybrid's front attractive. That stretched razor gape is about as gaping as we've seen thus far in the world of gaping grilles. Rims however are quite upscale.
Old 06-21-17, 11:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ I like the luxury look of the horizontal slats more than the XSE...
Old 06-22-17, 12:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ I felt a more upscale vibe from this than the strange to me SE trim models.
Old 06-22-17, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

^^ I felt a more upscale vibe from this than the strange to me SE trim models.
The SE front makes the Lexus predator grille look tame. One advantage discovered!
Old 06-22-17, 07:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

This new Camry does seem to be quite impressive based on the review. It seems all the reviewers walked into the review with tainted glasses until they actually turned a wheel. Maybe I'll wait for the next gen Highlander with this new chassis.
Old 06-22-17, 07:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I admit I only watched the first 6 min. of the video, and I think the car looks terrific. But I don't like the numbers on the two available powerplants, and the fake air things for the rear brakes are disappointing, keep that stuff off of all cars is what I would prefer (yes the quad exhaust is fake, but so is it on a WRX, so I'm ok with those). Thing is, the new Accord seems to have a 4 cyl turbo from the si and a stick available, guess it's another year on the 10 Best List for them. I have never owned either a Toyota or a Honda, but have this feeling that someday I will....
Old 06-22-17, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I admit I only watched the first 6 min. of the video, and I think the car looks terrific. But I don't like the numbers on the two available powerplants, and the fake air things for the rear brakes are disappointing, keep that stuff off of all cars is what I would prefer (yes the quad exhaust is fake, but so is it on a WRX, so I'm ok with those). Thing is, the new Accord seems to have a 4 cyl turbo from the si and a stick available, guess it's another year on the 10 Best List for them. I have never owned either a Toyota or a Honda, but have this feeling that someday I will....
Actually you own a Toyota now
Old 06-22-17, 08:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/toyota-will-sell...-hp-1796293616

new 2.5 liter 201hp 168trq 29/41 mpg, crazy
Old 06-22-17, 08:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheapest hybrid trim has liIon batteries while more expensive trims have the old nimh? Overstock of nimh perhaps?
Old 06-22-17, 09:24 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some nice interior footage of volume selling LE trim in this video. The interior does look fantastic even in this basic trim level.

LE gets standard Bi-LED headlights, 17 inch alloy, Scout Navigation, Power seats, Toyota safety sense including Auto high beams, Dynamic radar cruise. 203 hp /184lb-ft & 28/39/32 mpg !

Last edited by sorptd; 06-22-17 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 09:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Actually you own a Toyota now
Yes, that is true! And to tell you the truth, I really like the OE parts that I have ordered online, many of them were made in Japan, which I think is a good thing!
Old 06-22-17, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

All kidding aside, this Camry is the first "Toyota" I've seen coming up in a long time thats appealing in any way. I look forward to seeing one and driving one in person.

I hope they've made big improvements inside, the Camry's had a really terrible quality interior for the last 15 years or so IMHO...
Old 06-22-17, 10:40 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs down Great reviews...but did not reach my expectations.

I'm having mixed feelings about the 2018 Camry. Since the reviews came out yesterday, I thought I'd share my opinions on the car. (Heads up... this is a long rant). My family is considering replacing our 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Navigation with something from Toyota. The Honda has been nothing but problems and now seems to be burning oil. Anyway...I was holding out for the Camry, but not so much anymore (see below).

First, what I like about the new Camry! I absolutely love the design! The XLE is interesting (lower front grille is a little too big for my taste). The XSE is gorgeous! And I love the fact the XSE has a light-colored headliner and not a depressing black headliner associated with sporty cars. Other things I like: Bird's Eye View Monitor and HUD. Both are features I use every time I drive my 2016 RX 450h, so I am pleased to see them in the Camry. I also appreciate the Panoramic Sunroof. Perhaps most important are the new driving dynamics. All the reviews I've read and watched seem to indicate that the new Camry handles beautifully. It’s good to know that the Camry has finally shed its boring design and dynamics (something I'm sure Akio Toyoda-san greatly wanted). With that, there are far too many disappoints I must address.

Let me start with the Hybrid Fuel Economy. The Hybrid LE being able to achieve 52 combined is great. But why are the SE and XLE substantially lower at 46 combined. I understand the lower weight and narrower tires (205 vs. 235) but why leave a lithium ion battery out of the more expensive models. 6 mpg just seems like too much and drops the SE and XLE off the Accord Hybrid's 49 mpg combined rating with 225 width tires. Can a 10-mm difference in width decrease mpg by 3?!?! Furthermore, why is there not Camry Hybrid XSE. The design and feature content of the XSE is far more attractive than the XLE.

Another issue I have is navigation system. Why in the world did Toyota choose to offer only Scout GPS on a majority of the Camry lineup. I was, at the very least, expecting Dynamic Navigation on all XLE and XSE models, 4-Cylinder, Hybrid and V6. Reviews for Scout GPS are awful and I've read, heard, and seen nothing but bad stuff about it. And the reluctance of Toyota to add Android Auto and Apple Car Play is still unacceptable. This is probably the one reason I will be hesitant to recommend the Camry to anyone.

Continuing, there appears a lack of features compared to the competition. This seems to have been done to keep prices down, but this leaves a gap between the Camry and Avalon that would be better filled with a more upscale Camry. Honda has their EX-L Accord and Touring Accord. Ford has their Titanium Fusion and Platinum Fusion. Kia as the SX Limited Optima. Hyundai has the Tech Package on Limited Models. These models offer a myriad of features that the Camry should have had in the 2017 MY, let alone in 2018! Such features include Memory Front Seats, Rain Sensing Wipers, Ventilated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, and Power-Folding Mirrors. Many consumers would rather purchase a more upscale, midsize Camry than a large Toyota Avalon! The Camry needs a Limited or Touring or Platinum Trim Level!

Finally, let’s talk about the future of the Camry. Three words (or technically, one hyphenated word and one other word): Plug-In Hybrid. The Camry needs a Plug-In variant and quick. Ditch the spare tire and shove some batteries in there. After driving the Prius Prime, I know Toyota can make a good Plug-In. Given the market currently has the Fusion Energy, the Optima Plug-In and Sonata Plug-In, I think the Camry would benefit greatly from Plug-In technology. Hybrids are great, but Plug-In is better! Another idea for the future is e-four electric-AWD. That is something I'd also be interested in.

So, these are my thoughts. The $40k question, would I buy a 2018 Camry. Unfortunately, no. Had there been a Camry Hybrid XSE with Dynamic Navigation, my answer would have been a resounding YES! Also, are my expectations too high!?!?!
Old 06-22-17, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
I'm having mixed feelings about the 2018 Camry. Since the reviews came out yesterday, I thought I'd share my opinions on the car. (Heads up... this is a long rant). My family is considering replacing our 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Navigation with something from Toyota. The Honda has been nothing but problems and now seems to be burning oil. Anyway...I was holding out for the Camry, but not so much anymore (see below).

First, what I like about the new Camry! I absolutely love the design! The XLE is interesting (lower front grille is a little too big for my taste). The XSE is gorgeous! And I love the fact the XSE has a light-colored headliner and not a depressing black headliner associated with sporty cars. Other things I like: Bird's Eye View Monitor and HUD. Both are features I use every time I drive my 2016 RX 450h, so I am pleased to see them in the Camry. I also appreciate the Panoramic Sunroof. Perhaps most important are the new driving dynamics. All the reviews I've read and watched seem to indicate that the new Camry handles beautifully. It’s good to know that the Camry has finally shed its boring design and dynamics (something I'm sure Akio Toyoda-san greatly wanted). With that, there are far too many disappoints I must address.

Let me start with the Hybrid Fuel Economy. The Hybrid LE being able to achieve 52 combined is great. But why are the SE and XLE substantially lower at 46 combined. I understand the lower weight and narrower tires (205 vs. 235) but why leave a lithium ion battery out of the more expensive models. 6 mpg just seems like too much and drops the SE and XLE off the Accord Hybrid's 49 mpg combined rating with 225 width tires. Can a 10-mm difference in width decrease mpg by 3?!?! Furthermore, why is there not Camry Hybrid XSE. The design and feature content of the XSE is far more attractive than the XLE.

Another issue I have is navigation system. Why in the world did Toyota choose to offer only Scout GPS on a majority of the Camry lineup. I was, at the very least, expecting Dynamic Navigation on all XLE and XSE models, 4-Cylinder, Hybrid and V6. Reviews for Scout GPS are awful and I've read, heard, and seen nothing but bad stuff about it. And the reluctance of Toyota to add Android Auto and Apple Car Play is still unacceptable. This is probably the one reason I will be hesitant to recommend the Camry to anyone.

Continuing, there appears a lack of features compared to the competition. This seems to have been done to keep prices down, but this leaves a gap between the Camry and Avalon that would be better filled with a more upscale Camry. Honda has their EX-L Accord and Touring Accord. Ford has their Titanium Fusion and Platinum Fusion. Kia as the SX Limited Optima. Hyundai has the Tech Package on Limited Models. These models offer a myriad of features that the Camry should have had in the 2017 MY, let alone in 2018! Such features include Memory Front Seats, Rain Sensing Wipers, Ventilated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, and Power-Folding Mirrors. Many consumers would rather purchase a more upscale, midsize Camry than a large Toyota Avalon! The Camry needs a Limited or Touring or Platinum Trim Level!

Finally, let’s talk about the future of the Camry. Three words (or technically, one hyphenated word and one other word): Plug-In Hybrid. The Camry needs a Plug-In variant and quick. Ditch the spare tire and shove some batteries in there. After driving the Prius Prime, I know Toyota can make a good Plug-In. Given the market currently has the Fusion Energy, the Optima Plug-In and Sonata Plug-In, I think the Camry would benefit greatly from Plug-In technology. Hybrids are great, but Plug-In is better! Another idea for the future is e-four electric-AWD. That is something I'd also be interested in.

So, these are my thoughts. The $40k question, would I buy a 2018 Camry. Unfortunately, no. Had there been a Camry Hybrid XSE with Dynamic Navigation, my answer would have been a resounding YES! Also, are my expectations too high!?!?!
Looks like a Camry is not for you

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed