Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 02:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
No, I did not, but I was asking the question of anybody who has actually seen the new Camry: How large is the trunk opening? It looks small. I have not seen it in person myself but I am concerned that the size of the hole is smaller.
Ok. So thinking​ from a logical pov. Do you really think Toyota would make the trunk opening smaller? The manufacturer of the #1 US selling car for 15 straight years would more than likely not shrink the trunk opening.
Old 07-01-17, 02:20 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I think Sulu is just referring to the fact that the new Camry's trunk opening looks smaller.

It's amazing you know.
Years ago, they criticized Japanese cars for having great multivalve engines, but poor handling. Now 4GS & 3IS have great handling, but then they criticize them for lacking 0-60.
Years ago, they criticized my old 3GS for being low with a swoopy shape, a heavily raked rear windscreen, and a small trunk opening. Now, the past two generations of E Classes have become lower, with raked rear windscreens and a small trunk opening, and all of this is now okay.
The Japanese just can't win, can they?

_

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-01-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 02:37 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think Sulu is just referring to the fact that the new Camry's trunk opening looks smaller.

It's amazing you know.
Years ago, they criticized Jap cars for having great multivalve engines, but poor handling. Now 4GS & 3IS have great handling, but then they criticize them for lacking 0-60.
Years ago, they criticized my old 3GS for being low with a swoopy shape, a heavily raked rear windscreen, and a small trunk opening. Now, the past two generations of E Classes have become lower, with raked rear windscreens and a small trunk opening, and all of this is now okay.
The Japs just can't win, can they?
i think you should stop using the word 'jap'. i've seen you use it multiple times but haven't said anything about it. it's a derogatory term and it really shouldn't be used.
Old 07-01-17, 02:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i think you should stop using the word 'jap'. i've seen you use it multiple times but haven't said anything about it. it's a derogatory term and it really shouldn't be used.
Agreed....
Old 07-01-17, 02:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Agreed....
It was already amended thanks.
Old 07-01-17, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Agreed....
Originally Posted by davyjordi
Agreed. I back that up.
Old 07-01-17, 02:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
It was already amended thanks.
Thanks!...
Old 07-01-17, 10:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

One thing to keep in mind when looking at sales numbers is when a group of models were new. For Lexus, the IS, GS, and ES were all newly redesigned roughly within a short period of time. This always inflates sales numbers for the brand, with all three swift-selling sedans gaining fresh designs and customers in the process. Adding the hot new NX into the mix will inflate numbers even more.
Overall, I think Lexus is hanging in there, and the new, more youthful styling is drawing younger, more immature drivers/buyers. Either way, it's money in Lexus's pocket. Perhaps the original or traditional Lexus buyers of the 1990's and 2000's have moved to other brands or are content with the languishing LS and somewhat still cushy ES.
Old 07-02-17, 03:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok. So thinking​ from a logical pov. Do you really think Toyota would make the trunk opening smaller? The manufacturer of the #1 US selling car for 15 straight years would more than likely not shrink the trunk opening.
Welcome to the world of coupe-sedan styling. Trunk lids are only one of the victims. There are several others as well....headroom, ease of entry/exit, outward visibility, etc....
Old 07-02-17, 04:12 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Younger, more immature drivers buying Lexus? Is that a bad thing?

I'm glad that Lexus is selling more cars to whomever. I'm also glad that traditional 3-box styling is out, in favor of swoopy coupe-like styling for sedans. About the only thing I'm not fond of is the disappearance of big wagons - they're superior to crossovers for carrying stuff and they have better handling. I've managed to stuff a mountain bike into the back seat of the ES (rear seats don't fold on the hybrid) but I'd be the first in line for an ES wagon. Or maybe the only one in line. The Mondeo/Fusion estate/wagon looks fine though.
Old 07-02-17, 06:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
About the only thing I'm not fond of is the disappearance of big wagons - they're superior to crossovers for carrying stuff and they have better handling. I'.
People don't seem to want to buy them. They would rather pay more money for small cross-overs like the NX or RX that don't offer a ton more room/
Old 07-02-17, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I'll tell you what though, I went and looked at a new Volvo V90 Cross Country. It was awesome, gorgeous looking, great interior, and still good utility.
Old 07-02-17, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The theory I have is that anything wagon and/or AWD will cut into cross-over sales. Toyota and Lexus make you pay a premium if you were in the market for space efficiency and/or AWD, the profit margins are so good for cross-overs. For example, Toyota canceled both the AWD Matrix and the AWD Venza, instead, you need to jump to a Rav4 or Highlander which both start at a higher price. Same thing with Lexus and the ES, if Lexus were to offer an ES or a wagon and/or AWD there would be a significant number of takers for them. NX, RAV and RX and Highlanders are nothing more than cars riding a little higher and offering AWD.

People who believe that sedans are vanishing forget that some manufactures make in impossible to get AWD. If Camry, Avalon, ES and lets say Matrix were all offered in AWD, the cross-over sales would be different.
Old 07-02-17, 07:22 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Oh well, we could all lament the non-arrival of the Alfa 159 Sportwagon, probably the sexiest wagon ever made. Volvo V-series are practical people movers, BMW 5-series wagons are Euro-only unicorns, the Acura TSX wagon comes close to the Alfa in terms of knockout styling.

Did Toyota ever make a wagon version of the Camry or Corolla?
Old 07-02-17, 07:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome

Did Toyota ever make a wagon version of the Camry or Corolla?
Yes to both. But back in the 1980s. AWD as well.

FYI, the Matrix was technically a Corolla hatchback, the current iM Corolla is a hatchback, both qualify as wagons IMO. Same thing with the Venza which was in reality a Camry wagon.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed