Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 09:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Are you sure about that? I dont think the camry started with a 1 in front of it. That would make it the same starting price as a Corolla
You are correct. After looking further I'm seeing they were more like $24k on the MSRP but are just severely marked down right now.

Old 08-01-17, 09:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

This week Motorweek did a first drive type of review on the new Camry. They liked it well enough and said that it is a better Camry but doesn't break any new ground but should hold its spot as the #1 selling family sedan. They mentioned that a new Accord and Altima are on the way keeping the segment competitive.
Old 08-01-17, 01:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

They should offer e-AWD on the hybrid model. Instant sales success for the hybrid model. Lost opportunity there.
Old 08-01-17, 04:37 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
They should offer e-AWD on the hybrid model. Instant sales success for the hybrid model. Lost opportunity there.
Would imply that ICE stays on all the time, to reduce the lag when the engine cranks and engages with the drive wheels. AWD requires instant reaction, as it activates under wheel spin or lack of traction.
Old 08-01-17, 05:57 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Curious how these values will hold up in a year - I'm seeing ex-rental 2016 Camry SE's under $15k which is a pretty good buy for a decent car, assuming that aggressive pricing is a combination of low-demand for sedans and the release of the 2018 Camry's. I personally wasn't a big fan of the 2012-17 Camry's but pretty excited to check out the 18 Camry especially the Hybrid with an improved powertrain.
Old 08-01-17, 09:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Would imply that ICE stays on all the time, to reduce the lag when the engine cranks and engages with the drive wheels. AWD requires instant reaction, as it activates under wheel spin or lack of traction.
No, it would not have to work that way. This eAWD system already operates on the Highlander, RX and RAV4 Hybrids. They have the normal Hybrid Synergy Drive in the front and a separate, independent motor to drive the rear wheels in an on-demand AWD system.

A similar setup is the through-the-road hybrid, that has an electric motor driving the rear wheels in addition to, and separate from a normal (non-hybrid) FWD drivetrain. Through-the-road hybrids start running in RWD mode, with the ICE off and only turning on as more power is needed, when the vehicle switches to FWD mode. On-demand AWD is available simply by allowing the FWD engine to run and turning on the rear motor.
Old 08-02-17, 04:09 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
No, it would not have to work that way. This eAWD system already operates on the Highlander, RX and RAV4 Hybrids. They have the normal Hybrid Synergy Drive in the front and a separate, independent motor to drive the rear wheels in an on-demand AWD system.

A similar setup is the through-the-road hybrid, that has an electric motor driving the rear wheels in addition to, and separate from a normal (non-hybrid) FWD drivetrain. Through-the-road hybrids start running in RWD mode, with the ICE off and only turning on as more power is needed, when the vehicle switches to FWD mode. On-demand AWD is available simply by allowing the FWD engine to run and turning on the rear motor.
yeah, that's basically 4 electric motors, 1 at each corner and the ICE as part of the front wheel synergy drive. This is why the RX Hybrid is rated at higher HP than RX non hybrid. It's also much more expensive and much heavier. Add that weight to a Camry, and it defeats any advantage for the electric drive train.

edit: Through the road hybrid is what I said before, ICE runs essentially most of time, negating the gas savings of a hybrid

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-02-17 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 07:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

yeah, that's basically 4 electric motors, 1 at each corner and the ICE as part of the front wheel synergy drive. This is why the RX Hybrid is rated at higher HP than RX non hybrid. It's also much more expensive and much heavier. Add that weight to a Camry, and it defeats any advantage for the electric drive train.
No, this is not correct. The Toyota hybrids with eAWD merely add a single (one only) electric motor to power the rear axle in addition to the normal FWD hybrid system; it is not one electric motor for each wheel.

The Acura MDX Hybrid with its super-handling AWD system does add 2 electric motors for the rear axle, but Toyota does not do this.

edit: Through the road hybrid is what I said before, ICE runs essentially most of time, negating the gas savings of a hybrid
Earlier, you said that the ICE would be "that ICE stays on all the time" but no hybrid has the ICE running all the time. The ICE may be running "essentially most of time", but this not the same as "stays on all the time".
Old 08-03-17, 01:11 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It's not really a lost opportunity if the bulk of people wanting AWD and hybrid are also wanting a crossover body style, which, they have in the RAV4 hybrid. It's all about which beast do they want to feed. It would seem that the Camry's reign as the top dog Toyota is likely done and they wouldn't want to take away from the RAV4, especially if the RAV4 is a higher margin product for them.
Old 08-03-17, 05:00 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
No, this is not correct. The Toyota hybrids with eAWD merely add a single (one only) electric motor to power the rear axle in addition to the normal FWD hybrid system; it is not one electric motor for each wheel.

The Acura MDX Hybrid with its super-handling AWD system does add 2 electric motors for the rear axle, but Toyota does not do this.

Earlier, you said that the ICE would be "that ICE stays on all the time" but no hybrid has the ICE running all the time. The ICE may be running "essentially most of time", but this not the same as "stays on all the time".
Power has to go each wheel on the driving axle, either 2 motors or 1 larger motor and a differential. Pick your weight poison.

WRT through the road AWD, ICE comes on at certain speed, or at take off due to wheel slippage. Having driven in Edmonton, Alberta for over 20 years, I can tell you, The ICE will be on in the winter. We can split hairs about % of time, but it will be significant enough to negate any benefits related fuel savings expected of a hybrid. It's great for performance and low end torque though.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-03-17 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Power has to go each wheel on the driving axle, either 2 motors or 1 larger motor and a differential. Pick your weight poison.

WRT through the road AWD, ICE comes on at certain speed, or at take off due to wheel slippage. Having driven in Edmonton, Alberta for over 20 years, I can tell you, The ICE will be on in the winter. We can split hairs about % of time, but it will be significant enough to negate any benefits related fuel savings expected of a hybrid. It's great for performance and low end torque though.
The Highlander / RX / RAV4 Hybrid eAWD uses one single rear driver motor/generator and differential.

There is no disagreement regarding the through-the-road hybrid. It is a very quick-and-dirty design that gives very little benefit and is a concept that very few automakers make use of.
Old 08-04-17, 04:50 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The ICE doesn't always have to be on if there's enough reserve battery capacity for the rear motor. And no, you don't need two motors in the back, even Tesla use a single rear motor and a single front one on their AWD Model S.
Old 08-05-17, 11:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
1 tip for each cylinder lol.

I saw a 911 S this morning and remembered this thread: hey, 4 tips=8 cylinders

Anyways, I saw a new camry on the road and it even looks great in person
Old 08-09-17, 05:46 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-11-17, 11:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't know if that is the stock exhaust, but they sure did improve the sound of the V6 vs the previous generation. Previous gen V6 was fast as well, but sounded like a vacume cleaner when you stepped on it.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed