Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 10:32 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
2017 yet we're still using flip phone quality cameras.

@Aron9000, the video lists the owner having a CAI. You'd need to hear it without it. I believe this is a video of a XSE v6 that's stock. I haven't seen any mention of what tires they're using, but it looks like some garbage all-seasons combined with too much power in a FWD (although it's not helping they're turning off TC).

IMO, if I was in the market for a new sedan, I'd really take a hard look at a new Camry over another Lexus. I really like the new Accord's interior as well, just not a huge fan of the new exterior and the engine choices.

edit: Here's a much better 0-60 (or 70 in this case):

edit2: Here's one of the 4cyl as well:

Last edited by Zmon; 08-12-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-12-17, 05:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

downloaded those youtube videos, ran through frame by frame, and 60mph in 6.0-6.1 s.
Old 09-02-17, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Had a chance to look over the new 18 Camry today. The one on display in the dealer was the SE model. I have no idea what trim level or options the model had but it did have faux leather and it had no sunroof.

Overall, a decent job by Toyota. They clearly have shown they are still a cut above once again over the GM, Ford and Hyundai. I believe the premium is worth it over the competition.

The good:
Nicely styled interior
Good solid materials, lots of soft touch
Excellent seats
Nice steering wheel
Solid feeling build construction
Pretty nice steering wheel mounted gear shifters
All the switchgear is really good
Really bright interior LED map lights
Really big trunk
Rear trunk opening looks like a bigger opening
Interesting curves in the exterior design
Rock solid dash and center console

The bad:
Exterior styling is a kind of blah. (I didn't care much for it at the Autoshow when I first saw it). I don't now
No illuminated vanity mirrors (2018 Corolla standard)
Quad exhaust looks cheap

Overall, an excellent job. Biggest impression I was left was with absence of cost cutting. A very solid interior. My favourite door courtesy lights are still there. Trunk and fuel door has dedicated dash mounted power buttons. Locking glove box (absence on expensive GM cars).
Old 09-02-17, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Really good to hear you felt there was an absence of cost cutting...
Old 09-02-17, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, that was the biggest impression I had. I don't if I would say that I was impressed, but more like I was satisfied with the car. I will also add that there were to other models outside, the XSE model V6 with read leather seats has Michelin Primacy tires with a traction rating of AA and the XLE model had Bridgestone Bridgeston Turanza, pretty good premium tires. I will also add that the paint job on the XSE V6 model closely resembled a Lexus paint. First time I have ever seen a Lexus type finish on a Toyota. Would also add that for the first time I have ever seen on a Toyota, extra cost paint jobs are now an option.

One con that I will add is that Toyota push button start is an extra cost option, really should be standard at this point.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-02-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 10:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

That's good news overall. It appears Toyota learned from the past and applied that. I am looking for a new commuter car and the crazy MPG's on this have me very interested.
Not positive, but if it had quad exhaust, I think that would have been the XSE model. The regular SE has two on the right side. Those look bad too, like 70's BMW 3-series industrial piping.
Too bad about the traditional key ignition on the L and LE. That should have never happened.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-17, 07:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That's good news overall. It appears Toyota learned from the past and applied that. I am looking for a new commuter car and the crazy MPG's on this have me very interested.
Not positive, but if it had quad exhaust, I think that would have been the XSE model. The regular SE has two on the right side. Those look bad too, like 70's BMW 3-series industrial piping.
Too bad about the traditional key ignition on the L and LE. That should have never happened.
Thanks for the info.
There were 5 different models available on the property. The only one in the showroom was a SE model without the quad. Was just looking over the spec info on Toyota.com, it appears only the 2.5 engine is the new dynamic force engine, the 3.5 model they do not use the name. Also, was looking at the maintenance involved for the new models, in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and American Samoa, you are instructed to add Toyota EFI tank additive at every service.
Old 09-03-17, 10:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks for the info.
Seems clearly to be cost-containment to me. To keep costs down -- and therefore to keep prices down -- on the lower-trim cars, Toyota does not include the more expensive push-button ignition. As I have said before, this is how Honda contained costs on the previous-generation Accord (which my wife owns) -- each lower trim level takes some little thing(s) out of the car, while maintaining the high-visibility items (such as instrument panel and door plastics) on all trim levels.

The traditional keyed ignition would suit me just fine. It is more secure against hackers, and would allow me not to have to fiddle with my keys in the morning -- taking them out to lock the front door, use the fob to remotely open the trunk so my son can put his schoolbooks in the trunk and then get in the car, then have to put them away so I do not lose the keys before I get into the car.
Old 09-09-17, 07:38 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

When I took my car in for service today, I took a short walk to the sister Toyota dealership to have a quick look at the new Camry. I was looking particularly for first impressions about the interior and little things that reviewers typically do not mention. These items have become important to me through real-life experience with them.

There were 2 models in the showroom (open) and 1 outside (locked). The ones inside were a LE 4-cylinder model (single exhaust), and an XSE V6 (quad exhaust) with the panoramic sunroof and floating roof option (i.e. the bottom trim level and the top trim level, with nothing in the middle); the one outside was an XSE V6 without the fancy roof options.

My first impression was not the best because both models had a black interior, which, in my experience, can really hide the quality of the interior materials. That said, the dashboard and door coverings felt much better than the current-generation Camry and Corolla; it looks like Toyota is returning to some soft-touch plastics, at least on the upper portions of the dashboard and doors.
  • Both the LE and XSE had power driver's seats. The seat seemed quite comfortable but the seat cushion is still rather short, so thigh support is still lacking a bit. I would need more seat time and time fiddling with the power seat controls to determine if Toyota now offers greater adjustment for front-of-seat height.
  • I thought the rear seat height off the floor was rather low; I would have preferred to sit higher off the floor. Headroom (without the sunroof) was not bad.
  • The LE did not have the Qi wireless charging feature, leaving a nice square hole under the centre stack, in front of the gearshift lever to place a cellphone (instead of using one of the cup holders). The XSE did have it; the charging platform could be retracted if not in use, leaving the nice cellphone holder. The cellphone holder is nice and there may even be room there for my sunglasses case; this is something that is missing from my ES.
  • Like all new Toyota sedans, the glove compartment is rather small; the nice, deep bin that Camrys used to have is gone, probably to fit passenger-side knee airbags.
  • The trunk opening is very short in the horizontal front-to-back dimension; the liftover height, however, seems to be lower, perhaps due to a lower bumper, making for a seemingly taller vertical dimension; the opening is also quite wide. This does open up the hole a bit. The trunk lid does open higher and further back (as mentioned by Toyota as a new feature), getting it out of the way of heads; but to allow this, the gooseneck hinges are quite large (large in diameter). Beware of these large hinges when packing the trunk!
  • The trunk volume itself does not seem particularly large. The trunk floor seems to be higher (perhaps it is an illusion due to the lower rear bumper and therefore lower liftover height from trunk floor up and over the bumper). The length from the bumper to the rear of the back seat also does not seem to be very long. Will parents be able to fit a full stroller into the trunk, down and in through the trunk opening into the shallow and short trunk? I don't know.
  • Cost containment was evident and is -- to me -- proof that Toyota is learning about how to keep costs down on the lower trim levels, while still offering some nice features on higher trim levels.
  • The LE has a mechanical pedal-operated parking brake, whereas the XSE has the electrically-operated parking brake.
  • The LE has fixed rear headrests, whereas the XSE has height-adjustable outboard rear headrests. Canadians with children in child safety seats buying a new Camry LE will have to fit the upper seat tether over the top of the headrest, which will put a (permanent) mark and "dent" in the top of the headrest.
  • The LE has an ignition key, whereas the XSE has a push-button start. The LE does not have rear seat vents at the back of the centre console like the XSE does. My son could not explain the hole left in the LE due to the missing vents and I did not know what he was talking about until I sat in back and saw this for myself.

Will this new Camry be my next car when the lease expires on my ESh in a new months time? My son said he likes the XSE V6. I don't know. I will wait to see what the new ES offers. My wife wants to keep a Lexus in the family; we both want another hybrid.
Old 09-09-17, 11:24 PM
pman6
Racer

cost containment ?

even the mazda and accord have push button start standard.

that penny pinching on the base model is sad
Old 09-10-17, 08:43 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
cost containment ?

even the mazda and accord have push button start standard.

that penny pinching on the base model is sad
I suspect the only people who care about ignition key vs push-button start on cars such as the Camry, Accord, Mazda 6 or Altima are people on enthusiast websites.
Old 09-10-17, 02:07 PM
pman6
Racer

nah. regular folks like the convenience of push button start too.

especially since push button comes standard on Altima too. Cross shoppers will be like WTF when they see the camry.

push button start is no longer a luxury item.
Old 09-10-17, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Keys suck and are inconvenient and outdated. Boo to toyota for bringing out a new model with a key.
Old 09-10-17, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Keys suck and are inconvenient and outdated. Boo to toyota for bringing out a new model with a key.
Originally Posted by pman6
nah. regular folks like the convenience of push button start too.

especially since push button comes standard on Altima too. Cross shoppers will be like WTF when they see the camry.

push button start is no longer a luxury item.
I agree. At this point, the Camry should have a push button start across the board.
Old 09-10-17, 04:31 PM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Does the cheapest v6 configuration start at $36k? Really sucks if so, but what a sweet engine

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed