Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 06:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The push button start is pretty much standard in most segments today and expected by most buyers. Doesn't have anything to do with enthusiasts. Agreed, all Camry's should have it.
Old 09-10-17, 07:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked both Toyota.ca (Canada) and Toyota.com (USA) and the LE trim is available with the Smart Key System (push-button start) in an option package. I suspect that the Camry LE with the option package will be the de facto LE model, and the LE with no option package will be advertised as a loss leader to pull customers into the showroom.
Old 09-10-17, 07:27 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C&D did a real world fuel economy test on the 2018 Camry SE 4 cyl. It returned 45 MPG on highway ! I will wait to see others have to say but the new 4 cyl engine seems to be super efficient.

Just for comparison Civic sedan with its 1.5T / CVT got 41 mpg in the same test.

Source:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-driver-page-3

Last edited by sorptd; 09-10-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 07:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The push button start is pretty much standard in most segments today and expected by most buyers. Doesn't have anything to do with enthusiasts. Agreed, all Camry's should have it.
Cant imagine enthusiasts are going crazy over a push button start . Only thing I can think of ia for keeping the costs down for fleet and taxi buyers.
Old 09-10-17, 08:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

I think push button start is stupid give me an old fashion tried and true lock and key.
Old 09-11-17, 12:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

There's always one, lol
Old 09-11-17, 06:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I think push button start is stupid give me an old fashion tried and true lock and key.
Why is it stupid?
Old 09-11-17, 06:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why is it stupid?
Good question.
Old 09-11-17, 06:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good question.
I have had a Lexus that had push button start and I currently have keys. Its not really a deal breaker for me, I like the key and fob. However, I do see how it is more convenient when entering the vehicle, however there is not much extra convenience when exciting. With that said, the issue that I have is that Toyota has a new 2018 model out, it should either have keys across the board or push button start....with that said again (LOL) if Toyota is going to increase the price across the board, then no keys. If they are going to no have push button start, then better give me a lower price.

A push button start is sort of like Apple's touch ID. No point not having it standard at this point.
Old 09-11-17, 08:17 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure what all the fuss about push button start is about. My 2016 F150 with MSRP of CAD 57K does not have it. The best selling vehicle in NA, F150 pickup truck, has it as an option, so I don't see why not with the best selling sedan.
Old 09-11-17, 10:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Not sure what all the fuss about push button start is about. My 2016 F150 with MSRP of CAD 57K does not have it. The best selling vehicle in NA, F150 pickup truck, has it as an option, so I don't see why not with the best selling sedan.
Shame on Ford. IMO.
Old 09-11-17, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Agreed, it should be standard on everything but economy cars at this point. It's like having a car in 2000 that didn't have remote entry.
Old 09-11-17, 01:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My Lacrosse has the push-button ignition......first car I've ever owned with it. It's a really nice convenience. You can keep the electronic key fob in your pocket, where it won't get lost/misplaced or where you won't forget it, and as long as it is within a few feet of the ignition, door locks, trunk-release, etc.....all you have to do is push buttons and Presto.....the Genie does your wish.

If you ever DO need an emergency key to get in, Ford and GM both have a similar system where you push a chrome button on the fob, and the emergency key pulls out, and you unsnap a partial-cover on the outside door-handle to reach a keyhole underneath.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 03:00 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2 of my cars are push button and keyless entry. It's fantastic. Pulling out a key to unlock or start a car is an unneeded hassle. Not only does it increase the chance of scratches on your door handle, but dangling keys on the driver stalk is noisy and cumbersome. The act of turning a key to start a car is not rewarding enough to outweigh the advantages of keyless entry IMHO. This isn't only the way of the future, this is the way of now. This from a driver of 20+ years, I'm no spoiled millennial.

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Once you live with it and get used to the convenience, you realize how archaic the keys are.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My Lacrosse has the push-button ignition......first car I've ever owned with it. It's a really nice convenience. You can keep the electronic key fob in your pocket, where it won't get lost/misplaced or where you won't forget it, and as long as it is within a few feet of the ignition, door locks, trunk-release, etc.....all you have to do is push buttons and Presto.....the Genie does your wish.

If you ever DO need an emergency key to get in, Ford and GM both have a similar system where you push a chrome button on the fob, and the emergency key pulls out, and you unsnap a partial-cover on the outside door-handle to reach a keyhole underneath.
BMW has this as well. It's a physical key inside the FOB. As an added convenience, you can use that same key to lock the glovebox and retain it so the valet can still operate your vehicle and keep your valuables somewhat safe.

I have had a Lexus that had push button start and I currently have keys. Its not really a deal breaker for me, I like the key and fob. However, I do see how it is more convenient when entering the vehicle, however there is not much extra convenience when exciting.
Not sure about Lexus, but both my BMW's keyless system works this way:

If you have your key fob on you, you simply have to pull open the door handle like normal. There are sensors that read your key, and your hand on the handle, and unlock the door you are trying to open. The same for the trunk. Simply place you hand on the trunk release and it unlocks it and allows you to press the handle to open the trunk.

A push button start is sort of like Apple's touch ID. No point not having it standard at this point.
If you are going to have keyless entry, it's more convenient to have keyless start, otherwise you are taking your key out anyway.

Last edited by ragingf80; 09-11-17 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I definitely recall you and I having a disagreement about this very same topic and me telling you that once you have a car with hands free entry and start you would understand. Glad I was right

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Not sure about Lexus, but both my BMW's keyless system works this way:

If you have your key fob on you, you simply have to pull open the door handle like normal. There are sensors that read your key, and your hand on the handle, and unlock the door you are trying to open. The same for the trunk. Simply place you hand on the trunk release and it unlocks it and allows you to press the handle to open the trunk.
Lexus' system works the same way, and you can program it to unlock all the doors when the drivers door handle is touched, or just the drivers door. If you open any other door it unlocks all the doors by default.

I have mine set to unlock all the doors with the driver door.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed