Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-17, 12:41 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Like what level are we talking about? I see that you can get Entune 3.0, but the site didn't specify if I can choose older version of that or not.
https://www.toyota.com/entune/#!

And select Camry
Old 10-05-17, 12:42 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by airahcaz

And select Camry
Old 10-05-17, 12:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes that is the case. Distribution of cars is not like it was in the past. For a car like the Camry, they make a significant build up of inventory before the car actually gets released. There is an incentive for Toyota to do this as the prices of cars won't exceed MSRP which just annoys customers long term.
Gotcha, at the time I was in the market for my first new car (ever), and I remember the sales guy saying he's got a black CE 5-spd coming in the next delivery, he could give me $300 off list but I better make a decision before hanging up (lol). I said $300, that's it? That's it, and he gave me two reasons, 1, I don't have to give you more than $300 off, 2, there are no cars to sell anyway, and if you go somewhere else, they may not even give you that much off. I was really turned off...enter Nissan Maxima SE instead....

I saw two more on the road yesterday, one did not have the quad pipes...I like the way it looks...wish it had the new Accord's powertrain with a stick, now you've got a winner....it's like one has to choose looks, or powertrain, can't have both...
Old 10-05-17, 12:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It's too bad you can't get a Camry with a manual, especially the V6. That car would be quite fun.

For the previous two gens, I've preferred the Accord over the Camry, but now I'd definitely take the new Camry over an Accord.
Old 10-05-17, 01:01 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
For the previous two gens, I've preferred the Accord over the Camry, but now I'd definitely take the new Camry over an Accord.
And why is that now?
Old 10-05-17, 01:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by airahcaz
And why is that now?
Previously, I felt the Accord had the better interior and exterior. With the options of 4 cylinder and V6 power, I felt that the powertrains were a bit of a wash. I also like the way the Accord handled.

With the redesigns, I vastly prefer the new Camry styling. I find the new Accord quite unattractive. I feel the interiors are both done well. I haven't driven one yet, but based on reviews it seems that the Camry handling is vastly improved. Then for powertrains, I am simply not interested in a 4 cylinder, turbo or otherwise. I love that Toyota 3.5 V6.
Old 10-05-17, 01:15 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Previously, I felt the Accord had the better interior and exterior. With the options of 4 cylinder and V6 power, I felt that the powertrains were a bit of a wash. I also like the way the Accord handled.

With the redesigns, I vastly prefer the new Camry styling. I find the new Accord quite unattractive. I feel the interiors are both done well. I haven't driven one yet, but based on reviews it seems that the Camry handling is vastly improved. Then for powertrains, I am simply not interested in a 4 cylinder, turbo or otherwise. I love that Toyota 3.5 V6.
and if not the V6? Trying to save the $ myself...
Old 10-05-17, 01:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Even without the V6 I would choose the Camry. Or I'd pick up a current Accord while they are still available. This new one is the first Accord I've ever not liked, but this styling just doesn't work for me.
Old 10-05-17, 01:25 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

read another review of the Accord which apparently doesn't go on sale until next month, seems like the reviewer liked almost everything except the looks, even the handling is improved...if I were planning on getting a Camry, I would wait and drive the Accord. Not sure why they would not give it good looks...
Old 10-05-17, 01:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The new Accord looks horrible. The dumpy butt shape is feminine and cheap. The front has a uni-brow with missing teeth. Everything else about it is decent to great. The base engine gets an astonishing 30/38, which is the best fuel mileage in the segment and better than most smaller compact cars. Extremely impressive! There should be a new thread started for the Accord, as it will make a big splash along with the new Camry- or "Camery," as all my foreign neighbors and aunts call it.
Old 10-05-17, 06:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Was at the dealer today picking up some parts, decided to go look at the new Camrys they have in the showroom.

I must say as far as the exterior styling goes, they knocked it out of the park. Great looking car IMO, the proportions are great, looks sporty, but substantial. The front is a little busy, but I like it.

The interior, I'm not as impressed. For 20-25k for a basic LE or SE 4 cylinder its pretty good. Dash design is pretty cool, I like the straightforward gauges(no dedicated, dumb fuel economy gauge, WIN!) Rear seat is tighter than the model it replaces, especially in headroom if you get the panoramic sunroof option. Materials are decent to pretty good for the basic car, the cloth seats weren't plush but looked like they'd wear like iron.

But the main thing that got me was the sticker shock. The two V6 models, XSE with the panoramic roof option they had, were $35,000 and $37,000 each. Granted I know that is fully loaded, but at that price the fit/finish on the interior kind of sucks. The leather feels hard and cheap(there was a huge wrinkle on the top part of the passenger seat, like the leather was old/dried out), the materials are nice enough and well put together, but there is absolutely ZERO wow factor to the design/finish that I expect on a car that costs this much.

At $37k, you might as well get a Lexus ES350. Its a bigger car, way bigger back seat, WAY nicer interior. Optioned the way I wanted on the Lexus site(heated/vented seats, the matte finish wood trim with brown leather and that's it) it was $42,000. Its a no brainer to just spring for the Lexus, $5,000 isn't much of a jump at this price point IMO. BTW I was suprised to see that the panoramic roof option on the ES350 was a very reasonable $500, if you must have that option, that is a steal IMO(personally I'm not a fan of the panoramic sunroof, they tend to creak/rattle, especially as the car ages)
Old 10-07-17, 07:28 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Default V6

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Was at the dealer today picking up some parts, decided to go look at the new Camrys they have in the showroom.

I must say as far as the exterior styling goes, they knocked it out of the park. Great looking car IMO, the proportions are great, looks sporty, but substantial. The front is a little busy, but I like it.

The interior, I'm not as impressed. For 20-25k for a basic LE or SE 4 cylinder its pretty good. Dash design is pretty cool, I like the straightforward gauges(no dedicated, dumb fuel economy gauge, WIN!) Rear seat is tighter than the model it replaces, especially in headroom if you get the panoramic sunroof option. Materials are decent to pretty good for the basic car, the cloth seats weren't plush but looked like they'd wear like iron.

But the main thing that got me was the sticker shock. The two V6 models, XSE with the panoramic roof option they had, were $35,000 and $37,000 each. Granted I know that is fully loaded, but at that price the fit/finish on the interior kind of sucks. The leather feels hard and cheap(there was a huge wrinkle on the top part of the passenger seat, like the leather was old/dried out), the materials are nice enough and well put together, but there is absolutely ZERO wow factor to the design/finish that I expect on a car that costs this much.

At $37k, you might as well get a Lexus ES350. Its a bigger car, way bigger back seat, WAY nicer interior. Optioned the way I wanted on the Lexus site(heated/vented seats, the matte finish wood trim with brown leather and that's it) it was $42,000. Its a no brainer to just spring for the Lexus, $5,000 isn't much of a jump at this price point IMO. BTW I was suprised to see that the panoramic roof option on the ES350 was a very reasonable $500, if you must have that option, that is a steal IMO(personally I'm not a fan of the panoramic sunroof, they tend to creak/rattle, especially as the car ages)
fair that the price points compare the V6 on both the XSE and the ES, but there is the XSE/XLE with the 4 and the difference then is $10K +/- from the ES.
Old 10-07-17, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There should be a new thread started for the Accord, as it will make a big splash along with the new Camry- or "Camery," as all my foreign neighbors and aunts call it.
How about starting one, then?
Old 10-07-17, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
r "Camery,".
What is a Camery?
Old 10-07-17, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is a Camery?
It's what people who don't like Toyotas call it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-17 at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed