Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 02:12 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Had to take my LS in for Paintless Dent Repair and was given a 2017 Camry SE as a rental for the day. After about 50 miles behind the wheel I feel it is an okay car.

The SE looks sharp and is roomy inside. The 18-inch tires and new TNGA platform combine to produce the best handling Camry I've ever driven. Taking sweeping turns and clover onramps put a smile on my face. However, to maintain the flat cornering the suspension can be jarring at times. The example I drove has the 4-cyclinder and is quite buzzy, but power is adequate. The car is a little noisy from what I would expect for a Camry. Moderate wind noise and significant tire noise intrudes into the cabin. The lower parts of the dash also utilize then plastics and you feel significant flex when pulling on covers over the USB and power ports. The window switches are feel cheap and stiff. Surprisingly, with only 1350 miles on the car, there was a fluttering nous above my head that only stopped when I pushed up against the headliner.

Overall, the car drives smaller than it is but I expected the level of refinement to be higher in this competiive segment. It seems the quality was higher in past Camry models. A decent car but not really compelling. I haven't experienced the competition but just expected more from the once dominant Camry name.
2018 is the redesigned. 2017 is older model.
Old 10-16-17, 02:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Across the range, new President Akio Toyoda wants his cars to have more spirited styling & more spirited dynamics marked by a firmer ride, and greater NVH.

I'll be holding off my purchases for a while...
Old 10-16-17, 02:26 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Was it a 2017 or a 2018 Camry? The 2017 is not the new version, 2018 is.
Sorry, meant 2018, the redesign.

Old 10-16-17, 02:55 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

I did really like the supportive seats and secure bolstering too. The turn signal sound is extremely annoying for me though. It literally sounds like a metronome app.

I didn't detect any torque-steer and the steering on the SE is pretty direct. Honestly, I can't feel a difference between this FWD Camry and RWD LS. Maybe the characteristics of FWD/RWD is masked by electronic nannies or I just don't drive it hard enough to break traction.

Also, for a brand new Camry design, I wish the UI was more responsive. The lag isn't as bad as the LS but there is still a slight delay which makes me wonder if they're using the same CPUs as on the Apollo spacecrafts. I am used to the speed of my smartphone.
Old 10-16-17, 03:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Did the FWD Camry have power oversteer like the RWD LS?
Squeezing the throttle around a corner makes the tail come out gently, such that less steering input is required.

In my experience, FWD Camry and ES has bags of power understeer, with the front end ploughing straight ahead, requiring a lot more turns of the steering wheel to negotiate a corner under power.

Since 2005, I have always found Lexus infotainment a bit laggy; needs a quicker processor, or more RAM etc.
Old 10-16-17, 03:19 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Did the FWD Camry have power oversteer like the RWD LS?
Squeezing the throttle around a corner makes the tail come out gently, such that less steering input is required.

Since 2005, I have always found Lexus infotainment a bit laggy; needs a quicker processor, or more RAM etc.
The Canry SE has a nice weight in the steering, definitely not the overboosted steering in Camry models of yore (not sure about non-SE models). There really is a lack of understeer and it doesn't feel like a FWD car. The paddle shifters are just for show and are slow to react, especially for downshift.

My brief experience in the new Camry is not all negative and the SE is funner than past Camry models I have driven. However, overall, I would rather take the money spent on an SE and find a used luxury model. I am probably spoiled by the LS and just expect all cars to be better, but my coworkers 2003 Camry, with 300K miles, seems quieter and more refined than the 2018 SE.
Old 10-16-17, 03:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The Canry SE has a nice weight in the steering, definitely not the overboosted steering in Camry models of yore (not sure about non-SE models). There really is a lack of understeer and it doesn't feel like a FWD car. The paddle shifters are just for show and are slow to react, especially for downshift.

My brief experience in the new Camry is not all negative and the SE is funner than past Camry models I have driven. However, overall, I would rather take the money spent on an SE and find a used luxury model. I am probably spoiled by the LS and just expect all cars to be better, but my coworkers 2003 Camry, with 300K miles, seems quieter and more refined than the 2018 SE.
Funny you say that, because I find that my receptionist's husband's old 2001-06 Camry 3.0 V6 is smoother, quieter and more refined than my receptionist's 2012-17 Camry 3.5 V6.

They don't just differ in engine NVH, they also differ in suspension NVH.

I want to murder Akio.

One thing I notice though.
You seem to have tested the SE Sports Edition which is supposed to be sporty?

The real test will be how the LE Luxury Edition rides....

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-16-17 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

F
I want to murder Akio.

Just buy somebody else's product if Toyota/Lexus no longer makes a product you like. Lots of other cars out there.
Old 10-16-17, 07:22 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Just buy somebody else's product if Toyota/Lexus no longer makes a product you like. Lots of other cars out there.
Exactly, well said. One should only spend their money on things they like and believe in. Here's a suggestion for an alternative from Motor Trend:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...arison-review/

Not biased at all, go figure.
Old 10-16-17, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Exactly, well said. One should only spend their money on things they like and believe in. Here's a suggestion for an alternative from Motor Trend:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...arison-review/

Not biased at all, go figure.

In that class, I'd also check out a Mazda6, if you want a chassis and steering with nice driving-dynamics. I drove Mazda sedans myself for a number of years...though not particularly powerful, they are generally reliable products. The Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion are are also darn nice products in most ways, but come with Mickey-Mouse 1.5L turbo fours as the base engines. The Fusion Sport, however, has a healthy turbo V6.
Old 10-16-17, 07:37 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

that rear diffuser is ridonkulous
Old 10-16-17, 07:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
that rear diffuser is ridonkulous
Lol. It's meant to make a BMW driver scared of taking on the Camry and passing it. I am Camry, hear me roar.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In that class, I'd also check out a Mazda6, if you want a chassis and steering with nice driving-dynamics. I drove Mazda sedans myself for a number of years...though not particularly powerful, they are generally reliable products.
The 6 is wonderful balanced car with beautiful materials and craftsmanship. They didn't launch their Amati brand so they've poured their dollars into making their products very comparable to luxury brands. The thing is they only have a 2.5 engine. There was a 3.7 engine previously and then they wanted a diesel, that's gone.
Old 10-16-17, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. It's meant to make a BMW driver scared of taking on the Camry and passing it. I am Camry, hear me roar.

The 6 is wonderful balanced car with beautiful materials and craftsmanship. They didn't launch their Amati brand so they've poured their dollars into making their products very comparable to luxury brands. The thing is they only have a 2.5 engine. There was a 3.7 engine previously and then they wanted a diesel, that's gone.
The Millenia was supposed to be the first Amati product....but the Ford bean-counters, who owned Mazda at the time, axed the program because they were concerned about costs. So, instead, the Millenia ended up in Mazda showrooms being sold alongside the large Mazda 929 sedan. The Millenia differed from the 929 primarily in being FWD and introducing the Miller-cycle engine-option. It wasn't as well-built, though, as the 929, from what I remember...a couple of samples I tried out had squeaks/creaks in the structure and seemed more loosely-assembled, even though it was intended to be an upscale product.
Old 10-16-17, 10:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes definitely, but two points.

(1) I think it is more helpful to TMC to be honest and tell it as it is.
I do not believe in being a Toyota/Lexus fanatic and sweeping it under the carpet, and turning a blind eye, and just pretend that 5LS styling etc is okay when it is criticized by so many people.

(2) Normally I try to give "feedback" to TMC to rectify the situation first, because I believe that this method is more helpful to Toyota/Lexus than just ignoring Toyota/Lexus products, staying silent, and moving onto another marque.

My feedback:
(i) If it ain't broke, why fix it?
(ii) Why not just be TMC? Why pretend to be Maserati?
Many years ago, Akio was quoted as saying that he wanted TMC to have inspired styling & inspired dynamics like Maserati and a number of other European marques; at that time, he actually raced a Maserati himself at the Nurburgring if I remember correctly.

In the end, if Calty Studios persist in styling cars like Prius, Mirai & 5LS etc, then I will certainly switch to another marque.

For example, I spent 17 years with Microsoft Windows Mobile & Windows Phone OS, and this year I had to switch over to Google Android OS.
Wife will switch from iPhone to Android next year.

Just me, but I'm glad Genesis has a lovely G80 to replace my 4GS.
It's good to have competition from Genesis.
I wish Acura & Infiniti could give Lexus more competition too.

However, back to Camry.
This Camry he drove was SE sports?
Camry LE luxury may be much more refined???

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-17-17 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 10:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Funny you say that, because I find that my receptionist's husband's old 2001-06 Camry 3.0 V6 is smoother, quieter and more refined than my receptionist's 2012-17 Camry 3.5 V6.

They don't just differ in engine NVH, they also differ in suspension NVH.

I want to murder Akio.

One thing I notice though.
You seem to have tested the SE Sports Edition which is supposed to be sporty?

The real test will be how the LE Luxury Edition rides....
About that 3.5 V6 in the 2012 Camry, its the engine I love and hate at the same time. IMO its extremely smooth/refined, and straight up hauls a@@ for a 4 door family car, like low 14 second quarter mile times. That's a really good time for most stockish 1960's muscle cars that didn't have the top high performance engine. I mean it has low end torque, but pulls hard to redline if you floor it, the powerband is really wide and the feel is just great.

Its just that Toyota V6 engine, in the Camry anyways has the most absolute garbage engine note I've ever heard. Makes a giant sucking sound when you step on it, sounds like an overpowered vacume cleaner. Compare it to Toyota's other six cylinder, the inline six JZ family, it isn't quite as smooth, but man the JZ engines make all kinds of awesome sounds. The growl when you rev up a 2JZ-GE engine past 3500, man it just sounds fantastic, even the burble from the stock exhaust is just great and a very unique sound IMO. Toyota's V6 engines, like most other V6 engines, just don't have that sound.

Getting back to the new Camry, I hope they fixed the sound on the V6 models. If its a "sporty car" with a powerful engine, it damn well better make the right sounds.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed