Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 02:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Jill, how can your fingernails tell you it's a wrap?

If the article is correct and they paint the metallic black on top of the body paint, then there will be a lip/raised edge as it transitions to black. Is that what you're feeling?
Old 10-18-17, 02:22 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I want to murder Akio.
Originally Posted by SW15LS

Just buy somebody else's product if Toyota/Lexus no longer makes a product you like. Lots of other cars out there.
I agree. This seems like an over-reaction.
Old 10-18-17, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

If the article is correct and they paint the metallic black on top of the body paint, then there will be a lip/raised edge as it transitions to black. Is that what you're feeling?
At the C pillar, if you run your fingernails along the paint, you meet the ridge of the wrap. Does this make sense to you?
Old 10-18-17, 02:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I agree. This seems like an over-reaction.
It was only a joke...
Old 10-18-17, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Then perhaps I might be incorrect? (gee, I wish other members could admit that)
Old 10-18-17, 02:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

06. Oh, and that black roof is a serious pain to do. While Toyota first tried to do the roof in vinyl wraps, they ended up needing to use black paint with a blue-metallic base to get the finish right. The Camry has come off the production line, and the roof has to be taped off and sprayed separately.
There definitely is an edge to the black roof. When I looked at it, I could feel the edge that is left after the tape is peeled off; the black paint does look like it was applied after (over top) of another paint layer, so it could be mistaken for a vinyl wrap.
Old 10-18-17, 02:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Then perhaps I might be incorrect? (gee, I wish other members could admit that)
Thank you for your response.
Old 10-18-17, 09:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The design process for Toyota's 010B program aka XV70 Camry was an interesting, if not ambitious one. For those that have any iota of interest, I have detailed info on its development (plus nearly every Toyota and Lexus). These are from my private collection of design and engineering photography, on numerous development programs for various models. This is an earlier version of Proposal C, from Calty studios of Newport in California. The chosen proposal, before being refined several times. There are many more of course.

010B Proposal C 1:1 Clay, 2013

010B Proposal C 1:1 Clay Review, 2013
Old 10-18-17, 09:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
The design process for Toyota's 010B program aka XV70 Camry was an interesting, if not ambitious one. For those that have any iota of interest, I have detailed info on its development (plus nearly every Toyota and Lexus). These are from my private collection of design and engineering photography, on numerous development programs for various models. This is an earlier version of Proposal C, from Calty studios of Newport in California. The chosen proposal, before being refined several times. There are many more of course.

010B Proposal C 1:1 Clay, 2013

010B Proposal C 1:1 Clay Review, 2013
Thanks for these interesting inside photos. One thing they should have kept are the stylish exhaust tips seen above. What they chose for the SE and XSE are extremely cheap and dated. Of course, the ES350 already has the above tips, but they still could have thought of something better than a 1990's Pontiac Grand Am design.
Old 10-18-17, 10:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Pretty good looks. Front end a bit too busy. The car is trying to convince me that it is a JDM Toyota Mark X RWD sedan. Since Toyota doesn't feel like selling the RWD Mark X in the USA it is a shame that they couldn't be bothered to offer AWD on a V6 trim level. That would be a winner if just a consolation prize, a Camry trim level with the 300hp+ V6, conventional automatic with AWD and an optional rear Torsen LSD. Alas, the V6 is still just a difficult to find overpowered FWD sedan.

Hell, I could see AWD being a good option for the 85% of them that will be sold with the four cylinder in northern states.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-19-17 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 12:18 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I'm responding to your point about peeling vinyl on 15 year old camrys in the future... i don't believe toyota cares much.
Strange thing to say considering Toyota has built a worldwide empire on the reputation of reliability and longevity.
Old 10-19-17, 01:29 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Strange thing to say considering Toyota has built a worldwide empire on the reputation of reliability and longevity.
I'd have to completely agree there. If the issue at hand is how the brand makes money and stays profitable over the longterm, much of that is based on volume. Their long-standing mantra of quality and durability is a driving force that keeps people in the Toyota fold. There's a good chance those who buy Toyotas today, had one fifteen years ago that didn't fall apart. Of course these massive sales numbers equals profitability.
Old 10-19-17, 10:23 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

According to Automobile Magazine, the roof is painted, not wrap.

05. No one thought the Camry’s blacked-out roof would happen. But somehow, it slipped through the concept phase to production. (And we’re happy it did.)

06. Oh, and that black roof is a serious pain to do. While Toyota first tried to do the roof in vinyl wraps, they ended up needing to use black paint with a blue-metallic base to get the finish right. The Camry has come off the production line, and the roof has to be taped off and sprayed separately.
20 Things You Didn't Know About the 2018 Toyota Camry
I have read that this feature and others (such as the fancy creases on the hood and side of the body) on the new Camry are expensive to build. I wish that Toyota would have spent the money on improving the interior, instead of spending it on these flashy, but otherwise useless, gimmicks.

All 3 back seat head restraints should be adjustable and removable in all Camry models and trim levels, in my opinion, just like in most other family sedans and the Generation 6 (2007 to 2011) Camry. Parents (or grandparents) trying to install a child seat will have to place and tighten the tether over the headrest, ruining the it.

I would also like to see a larger, (bin-type) glove compartment, like in older Camrys, not the current tiny, hole-in-the-wall design. The older, large, bin-type compartment was useful but the current compartment is pretty well useless. It is so small, that after putting in the whole stack of manuals and other paperwork, there is no room left for anything else.
Old 10-19-17, 04:37 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Accord

The new Accord hit dealerships. Let the comparisons begin...
Apple CarPlay!
Old 10-19-17, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am pretty confident that the average selling prices of Accord/Camry vs competitors or Corolla/Civic vs competitors will be higher for Toyota and Honda if most trims are equal. Same for most of their lineup.
Yes, of course... and thats also why they have good resale values too... if you get $25k in incentives, it will obviously kill the resale value of the vehicle too.

As to the pillars, we have had black glossy tape over the B pillar for more than a decade, in even cheapest Toyotas... it holds up much better than paint.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed