Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best years for Miata?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
All of the lightweight, low center of gravity cars are a blast. Doesn't matter how much or little power. MG, Alfa 4c, lotus, sunbeam, triumph, Boxter, the original mini all are based on the same idea. I know there are others that fit this category too.
Well, the Boxster is more comfortable, more refined, and has more features on it, as would be expected at twice the Miata's price. But I wouldn't call it any more of a blast to drive....and, unlike the Miata, it has a sealed-off engine compartment with almost no access at all without a multi-stage process.. Don't want to take the thread too far off-topic, but here's how to get to a Boxster's engine....a PITA.

Old 01-10-17, 07:10 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Totally agree MM
Old 01-10-17, 11:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
The Miata has stayed with keeping the car light. In keeping the car light there is less sound deading material. The weight of that stuff adds up fast. It's a slow car that is a blast to drive fast.
I wouldn't call the new Miata slow anymore, does 0-60 in under 6 seconds and runs a 14 second quarter mile. Its faster than its nearest competitor, the Subie BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota 86
Old 01-10-17, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I wouldn't call the new Miata slow anymore, does 0-60 in under 6 seconds and runs a 14 second quarter mile.
To put that in perspective, 14 seconds was considered about average for a 60s-vintage American muscle-car. Even the 427 triple-carb Corvette did 13.7 fom the the tests I remember.
Old 01-10-17, 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

i had an '07 grand touring 6 speed. just an absolutely delight to drive. i didn't expect it to be lexus quiet at highway speed, and it never bothered me except one time i did a pretty long drive (3+hrs) and it got tiresome, but hey, just add some time in to stop for a nice lunch and take some back roads you don't know and thank me later.
Old 01-10-17, 07:17 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i had an '07 grand touring 6 speed. just an absolutely delight to drive. i didn't expect it to be lexus quiet at highway speed, and it never bothered me except one time i did a pretty long drive (3+hrs) and it got tiresome, but hey, just add some time in to stop for a nice lunch and take some back roads you don't know and thank me later.
Mine was an '06 Grand Touring 6 speed. It was the best car I've ever driven for local errands with the top down. However, heading out on the highway with heavy traffic the drone of the engine made me want to poke my eardrums out and the constant shifting in stop-and-go traffic just got to me. I guess I'm getting old. Funny thing is, I traded it for an '06 SC430, which was quiet but drove like a Japanese Buick. I went from one extreme to another.
Old 01-10-17, 07:59 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To put that in perspective, 14 seconds was considered about average for a 60s-vintage American muscle-car. Even the 427 triple-carb Corvette did 13.7 fom the the tests I remember.
average? 1975 Countach was in the 14s and people thought it was the fastest thing .
Old 01-10-17, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
average? 1975 Countach was in the 14s and people thought it was the fastest thing .
Trust me (I lived through those years)...............1975 was a whole different world from the 60s, when Detroit was King. Because of emission controls. engine de-tuning, unleaded gas, and engine downsizing, HP/torque levels dropped dramatically between 1970 and 1975. Almost none of the Detroit muscle-cars, by that time (at least what was left of them) could run with an exotic like a Lambo.
Old 01-11-17, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Mine was an '06 Grand Touring 6 speed. It was the best car I've ever driven for local errands with the top down. However, heading out on the highway with heavy traffic the drone of the engine made me want to poke my eardrums out and the constant shifting in stop-and-go traffic just got to me. I guess I'm getting old.
haha. i swapped out the exhaust on my miata, maybe that made the sound less droning.

Funny thing is, I traded it for an '06 SC430, which was quiet but drove like a Japanese Buick. I went from one extreme to another.
ya, i remember driving an sc430 and thought 'my goodness this is slow, heavy, and handles bad' (sorry). but the cassette deck was cute. my brother still has an sc430. he's about 6'6" and i'm not sure how he fits in it.
Old 01-11-17, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my brother still has an sc430. he's about 6'6" and i'm not sure how he fits in it.
Probably puts the top down, and just doesn't drive when it's raining LOL.
Old 01-12-17, 01:35 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of all the Miatas, I think the NB (99-05) may be the Goldilocks of the bunch. If you're lucky, you can still find clean examples, with relatively low mileage and since they're older, they can be had fairly cheap.
Old 01-12-17, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This, I thought, was probably the best factory color they ever did.....the Mariner Blue of early models.

Old 01-12-17, 05:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Smurf blue lol. Personally I'm a fan of British Racing Green, with the tan top/tan leather.
Old 01-12-17, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Smurf blue lol. Personally I'm a fan of British Racing Green, with the tan top/tan leather.
The British Racing Green was done, from what I remember, as a special-production package.

BTW, while I respect your opinion, I disagree with the LOL remark on that Mariner Blue color....I think it is a gorgeous shade of blue. Some recent Mustangs have also used it.
Old 01-14-17, 04:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, the Boxster is more comfortable, more refined, and has more features on it, as would be expected at twice the Miata's price. But I wouldn't call it any more of a blast to drive....and, unlike the Miata, it has a sealed-off engine compartment with almost no access at all without a multi-stage process.. Don't want to take the thread too far off-topic, but here's how to get to a Boxster's engine....a PITA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ztrUhQEL8
Much quicker & easier to do it correctly, by simply pulling the bottom of the cables loose from their mounting posts, instead of removing the wire clips on the top cable mounts.

Quick Reply: Best years for Miata?