Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 honda odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
To the uneducated, actually, run flats can be a great marketing move. Especially with a minivan--the pitch to the soccer mom, who in all likelihood, can't or won't change a flat--"If you get a flat, you don't even have to stop. You don't have to change the tire. You aren't stuck on the side of the road waiting for roadside assistance to get there with a car full of kids. You can go on your way, and call the dealer when you get home." Does this tell the whole story? No--and Honda really blew it years ago with those Michelin run flats that only the dealer could service, and only if the dealer had the right equipment, which resulted in litigation. But again, from the salesman's half-truth pitch to get you into this car today, run flats can actually be an easy sell to the right "prey."

But hey--at least the Siena has run flats. I thought about looking at a Regal GS until I saw you only get an inflator kit. There are definitely people that find this out after the fact, the hard way.
That's all true if you are fairly close to a repair shop or tire shop, and can slowly limp to it, on the stiff run-flat sidewalls, at the low speeds and limited range (roughly 50 miles) required. But, have a tire failure with run-flats in the middle of Montana, or parts of West Texas, where even towns can be 100 miles apart, and that could be a different story. Not only that, but with run-flats, you put up with compromises in ride/handling, high replacement prices, (sometimes) a short tire-life, and limited availability in tire shops.

That's why I remarked (and still feel) that Honda could, if it had chosen to, one-upped the Sienna on the new Odyssey if they had offered AWD with conventional tires. But they chose not to. Time will tell if they were correct.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-10-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

He's not disputing that. He's saying that it's a great marketing move, but the actual result is not always as the purchasers have been told.
Old 01-10-17, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
He's not disputing that. He's saying that it's a great marketing move, but the actual result is not always as the purchasers have been told.
Yes, that part's true, but it shows that people need to know what they are buying.....too may don't. And, no....slick-talking salespeople don't always help either LOL.
Old 01-10-17, 06:53 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So ugly inside and out.

But it'll sell like mad b/c it'll be a solid and reliable minivan, and that's what counts.
Old 01-10-17, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
So ugly inside and out.

But it'll sell like mad b/c it'll be a solid and reliable minivan, and that's what counts.
Yeah ugly doesn't bother me. I like the idea that my mom can get into the third row lol
Old 01-10-17, 07:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Disappointed it'll "only" have 280hp where as the 2017 Sienna will have 296hp.

My only complaint is why Honda can't seem to hide the rear wiper like Toyota.
Old 01-10-17, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Disappointed it'll "only" have 280hp where as the 2017 Sienna will have 296hp.

My only complaint is why Honda can't seem to hide the rear wiper like Toyota.
Mom can get in the back. It could have a huge poop as a rear wiper and I'd buy it lol
Old 01-11-17, 01:49 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks nice for a minivan, I actually miss the space of minivan sometimes growing up with my dad's 2001 Mazda MPV which had those sliding second row seats, which Honda is finally adding, surprised more companies haven't done so!
Old 01-11-17, 07:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's all true if you are fairly close to a repair shop or tire shop, and can slowly limp to it, on the stiff run-flat sidewalls, at the low speeds and limited range (roughly 50 miles) required. But, have a tire failure with run-flats in the middle of Montana, or parts of West Texas, where even towns can be 100 miles apart, and that could be a different story. Not only that, but with run-flats, you put up with compromises in ride/handling, high replacement prices, (sometimes) a short tire-life, and limited availability in tire shops.

That's why I remarked (and still feel) that Honda could, if it had chosen to, one-upped the Sienna on the new Odyssey if they had offered AWD with conventional tires. But they chose not to. Time will tell if they were correct.
That's my point. I'm not advocating for run flats. You noted that run flats can be a bad "marketing move" for a minivan--becuase you are educated on the pros, and the cons, of run flat tires. Sales people will sway the uneducated minivan buyer into believing that run flats are better by telling them the benefits, and ignoring the detrimiments. And I'd venture to say that a good percentage of those buyers don't know any better--the Honda run flat debacle is a prime example.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that part's true, but it shows that people need to know what they are buying.....too may don't. And, no....slick-talking salespeople don't always help either LOL.
People need to know--but most people don't know, and won't research it. It's just a fact of life.
Old 01-11-17, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet the Odyssey will be far more reliable than the Pacifica. FCA has lousy reliability so wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole for the family minivan.
enjoy the sweeping statements. must be why FCA sold over 200,000 jeep grand cherokees last year had mine two years, no issues. relative has had a town and country minivan probably 5-6 years in harsh NE winters and driven a TON of miles, and NO issues.

but hey, keep believing CR.

Originally Posted by Wandl
My only quip with Honda lately is the gouging that dealers do on the new models.

Obviously Honda has done some tremendous engineering work along with R&D to come out with the new Civic, Pilot, Ridgeline and Odyssey as "all-new" models. During early 2016, all Honda dealers in the Dallas area were touting MSRP +$2k-$4k in "accessories" and claiming they can't reduce the price because they were selling out of those artificially-high-priced models. A $43k Touring model my wife looked at was selling for $50k after $7k in additional rims/protection/etc. that the dealer would not remove. Same with the Ridgeline, and I hope they don't do the same with the Odyssey (smaller target demographic). All in all, it was just a horrendous shopping experience across most of the Honda dealers I've come across the past 18 months with these new vehicles. The new CRV is going to be launched and I figure these Honda dealers will live for the short-time-frame where they can gouge buyers instead of selling "at invoice".

/end rant on dealership experience
coudn't agree more, and local toyota dealer here does the same nonsense with 'value package' added to every model on the lot for thousands. i almost bought a toyota last go around (highlander) and told them point blank i'm not paying anything for that stuff since i don't want any of it.
Old 01-11-17, 11:31 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
enjoy the sweeping statements. must be why FCA sold over 200,000 jeep grand cherokees last year had mine two years, no issues. relative has had a town and country minivan probably 5-6 years in harsh NE winters and driven a TON of miles, and NO issues.

I take cars apart for a living. What CR says is pretty much in line with what I see in the wild. FCA cars have earned that reputation. Sorry to say. If the newer ones are better, only time will prove that. We'll see. For now, it is what it is.

Sales means nothing. People buy unreliable cars all the time. How do you think the big Euro companies stay afloat? For the first two years, even the most unreliable cars will be trouble-free. As long as they make it thru the lease period, everyone is happy.

Those new Grand Cherokees are nice, tho! Surely helps with sales. The Rams, too. Real nice.

As for this new Odyssey, Honda needs to ease up on the design cues. The cockpit is SO busy and overstyled. The exterior has creases and curves all over. Remove half of them and it should be good. Shame the shifter is gone as well. I question the safety of this system. The screen looks like Best Buy installed it.

The seats look comfy tho! And the front looks good.

It should prove to be very reliable and surely will sell many.
Old 01-11-17, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

CR never said all FCA products would be unreliable.........only that, in general, most of them have a worse-than-average reliability, which is correct compared to many other brands. That's not necessarily a reason not to own one, though, as many satisfied Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Charger/Challenger, and Chrysler 300 owners can attest to.
Old 01-11-17, 12:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

coudn't agree more, and local toyota dealer here does the same nonsense with 'value package' added to every model on the lot for thousands. i almost bought a toyota last go around (highlander) and told them point blank i'm not paying anything for that stuff since i don't want any of it.
Sure. I'll believe your anecdotal single point of reference vs. major publications that track reliability like JD Powers and CR. Just saying...
Old 01-11-17, 04:27 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just because 200,000 sheeple purchased GCs last year, CR is wrong? Lots of viewers watch Duck Dynasty--does that make it a great show?

FCA surely puts out a more reliable product than 10 years ago, but c'mon now. You've had a great experience--1 out of hundreds of thousands.