Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What everyone think about this new GTR price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 10:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great price IMO, just offer that as the OTD price and be done with it.

actually, I'd try to get the silver for that price

Old 01-23-17, 11:06 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

considering nissan has upped the price over the years without any significant improvements, i bet the profit margin is big enough that they can go lower.

as with any negotiation, go much lower, and meet somewhere in between. If you don't go low enough, you'll never know how big of a discount you could have had. Even if they laugh at you, you can always up your price and then walk.
Old 01-23-17, 11:19 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
considering nissan has upped the price over the years without any significant improvements, i bet the profit margin is big enough that they can go lower.
Just because the basic drivetrain hasn't changed doesn't mean there haven't been significant improvements. The 2017 refresh added creature comforts, but the 2015+ models drive very differently than the models before them.
Old 01-23-17, 11:34 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just because the basic drivetrain hasn't changed doesn't mean there haven't been significant improvements. The 2017 refresh added creature comforts, but the 2015+ models drive very differently than the models before them.
I agree with you but the price difference of close to $40k from 09-17, I just don't see the added improvements amounting to the change in price. While there have been improvements with how the models drive after 2015, it comes at a cost of performance as the GTR's after 2014 have been known to be the lower performing years compared to 2013 and 2014.

As for the price of the red one for $80k, good luck getting that OTD, that would mean that they would be selling that car for low $70's on a brand new car depending on your taxes which would be $30k off. I don't think it is possible but there is always some deals that defy logic.
Old 01-23-17, 12:53 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Isn't a 2017 close to $115K with options?

Ask for another $3-4K off the current offering, but the offered price looks really good.

Just make sure it was a demo car, that was beaten with a stick.
it has 170 miles in it
Old 01-23-17, 12:55 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I think it's a good deal for a brand new car and don't think they will go much lower than that, $23k off MSRP is solid. If you like red get it, if you are settling for a color you don't like move on. I bought a 2015 black edition with 150 miles on it for $80k 4 months ago.

I like the 2017's a little better but they raised the prices of these even more where msrp is around $111k which is too much for a car that hasn't changed much in 8-9 years which is evident in the GTRs lowest sales ever last month. IMO $80k MSRP is the sweet spot for a GTR.
how many miles does your black edition have?
Old 01-23-17, 01:04 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Often, Internet-posted prices like that are firm and nonnegotiable. In general, if the dealer will go lower, then fine...you've saved even more....but it's not a given. Tango Red may or may not be correct about the changes for 2017 forcing the dealer to go lower...you won't know until you try, and the worst they can say is no. If the dealership does go lower, though, make sure that the salesperson or business manager isn't slipping something else or charging you for that you aren't aware of...things like paint-sealant, a service/oil-change package, extended warranty, etc....

Last, remember that buying a car like this is one thing...insuring it and running it may be another matter. What you save up front. at the dealership, may be spent further down the road. Check with your insurance company (or other companies, if you aren't satisfied with your own) for policy-costs....you can bet that policies for a car like this won't be cheap. (GEICO, in general, has has lower rates than many other firms, but they can be picky about who they take). And if your county or state (like Virginia, where I live) has an annual personal-property-tax based on a car's assessed-value, you're going to pay quite a bit in those taxes until depreciation starts to set in after a couple of years. Fortunately, those property taxes are deducible on your Federal tax return.
i factored in the maintnance already. That's why I opted for new rather than "lightly used". What surprised me is insurance increased 30% with a 30K increase of msrp from my current vehicle

Last edited by ssmoked; 01-23-17 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 01:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
how many miles does your black edition have?
It now only has 450 miles on it. I just haven't had time to drive it much and when I do the weather hasn't been good. I will say the 2015 drives softer and quieter than my old 2013 with the newer suspension and the addition of more sound deadening starting in 2015.
Old 01-23-17, 01:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
great price IMO, just offer that as the OTD price and be done with it.

actually, I'd try to get the silver for that price

thats 10k more though. Prob hasn't been sitting as long as the red one
Old 01-23-17, 01:18 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
It now only has 450 miles on it. I just haven't had time to drive it much and when I do the weather hasn't been good. I will say the 2015 drives softer and quieter than my old 2013 with the newer suspension and the addition of more sound deadening starting in 2015.
so the black edition was 2015 leftover? That's a great buy!

need to drive it more! If I end up buying, it will be DD
Old 01-23-17, 01:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

so the black edition was 2015 leftover? That's a great buy!

need to drive it more! If I end up buying, it will be DD
It was a 2015 leftover but I bought it from a guy that bought in June 2016. That guy didn't have time to drive it and most of the 125 miles that he put on were from the dealer to his house. It was basically brand new with the exception of 4 months of warranty used. It still had the paper mats from the dealer, GTR mats in the plastic, plastic over the nav screen, sticker on the windshield from Japan, etc. He paid $88k for it new 4 months earlier with a MSRP of $113k.

When I bought my 2013 I was going to daily drive it but after driving it a couple days I had to get another daily driver. It can be done pretty easily but with me dropping my young kids off at school each day it was too difficult for them to get out every morning with the big console between the seats and not being able to open the passenger door. For now it is for weekend duty.
Old 01-23-17, 04:01 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Make it $7.99 and I could actually afford it.

That sounds like a good price to me.
Old 01-24-17, 03:29 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

And get laughed at... trying to buy a car with best price, not insult the dealer
Why would anyone be worried about "insulting" a dealer?
Old 01-24-17, 06:17 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Why would anyone be worried about "insulting" a dealer?
that's because if a rediculous offer is presented, the dealer will dismiss the buyer as wasting their time. It's fine for a window shopper but not a buyer that wants the car at great price
Old 01-24-17, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

i factored in the maintnance already. That's why I opted for new rather than "lightly used". What surprised me is insurance increased 30% with a 30K increase of msrp from my current vehicle
Insurance is probably never likely to be inexpensive on a car like the GTR.

Quick Reply: What everyone think about this new GTR price?