Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What everyone think about this new GTR price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 08:38 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Insurance is probably never likely to be inexpensive on a car like the GTR.
insurance premiums are more focused on how much it will cost at total loss rather than sports car or not.
try to get a quote for a tesla model S (4 door sedan) or X (4 door SUV), the premium would shock a GTR owner
Old 01-24-17, 12:34 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a good deal.

At the end of the day though, the GTR will always be a sub-par to me. Ugly? Check. Cheap unattractive interior? Check. 10 year old design? Check. I don't understand the appeal for $100K. Now the price listed is more reasonable.
Old 01-24-17, 03:44 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Seems like a good deal.

At the end of the day though, the GTR will always be a sub-par to me. Ugly? Check. Cheap unattractive interior? Check. 10 year old design? Check. I don't understand the appeal for $100K. Now the price listed is more reasonable.
what car is on your list for 100k with GTR performance?
Old 01-24-17, 05:13 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
that's because if a rediculous offer is presented, the dealer will dismiss the buyer as wasting their time. It's fine for a window shopper but not a buyer that wants the car at great price
Then make another offer or move on. The dealer is working for you, not the other way around. The notion of "insulting" a salesman/sales outlet is absurd.
Old 01-24-17, 07:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

The dealer will either take your offer or not, I doubt you will get it less than $80k but you never know until you try. I tried buying a '16 Premium GTR black with red interior, MSRP was $107k and I offered $87k which is about what they were going for when there was $10k in dealer cash. Dealer wouldn't come down one penny off of $90k. I also looked at a '15 Premium GTR black with red interior with 250 miles on it and offered $80k, they were asking $82k and they wouldn't come down from there but I told them to call me if they reconsidered. It was gone in a couple weeks so obviously they didn't need to come down to my price even if the GTR market is soft. Don't be afraid to make the offer but don't expect them to take any deal either. If they can do it they will, if not they won't, simple as that.

As for cars around $100k or even less with the same (or actually better) performance, I would say Viper or Z06 but both are completely different cars than the GTR. The has back seats which is why I bought one and no other car at this price range has the performance with back seats. Had I not wanted back seats, a Viper would be in my garage. At least the Viper looks like a $100k car, the GTR not so much.

Brownpride - The appeal for $100k is that it is an all around performer for the price and there is nothing out there for the same price (new, not used) that can do the things the GTR can do. However, I could never pay over $100k for one, I still think it is an $80k car.
Old 01-24-17, 10:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

it has 170 miles in it
I was afraid of that. They are advertising it as New. 170 miles is not new. That is false advertising. I personally do not support any dealer that tries to scam the public. Even though you know what you know, it is the principle. But then again, it does sound like a decent deal. Your call.
Old 01-24-17, 10:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was afraid of that. They are advertising it as New. 170 miles is not new. That is false advertising. I personally do not support any dealer that tries to scam the public. Even though you know what you know, it is the principle. But then again, it does sound like a decent deal. Your call.
well they claimed it was a dealer trade and it drove from dealer to dealer. Skepticle me believing it is another story...

the interior color is not my cup of tea, for me to pay that kind of money for a car I better love it 110%..
Old 01-24-17, 10:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

well they claimed it was a dealer trade and it drove from dealer to dealer. Skepticle me believing it is another story...

the interior color is not my cup of tea, for me to pay that kind of money for a car I better love it 110%..
I hear ya. Then that gets me thinking this... It's 2017. Nearly all SoCal dealers have flatbeds that transfer cars from place to place. It should not have been driven, if that is indeed the real story to begin with.
Old 01-25-17, 09:21 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A car like that with 170 miles means it has been taken for a hard spin around the block by everybody that works at the dealership.
Old 01-25-17, 09:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
A car like that with 170 miles means it has been taken for a hard spin around the block by everybody that works at the dealership.
Or there was one person driving it as a demo car, which isn't terribly uncommon.
Old 01-25-17, 09:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Well if its cosmetically perfect and runs/drives like a new car, who cares. Break in periods aren't that big of a deal anymore. A lot of high performance cars, they dyno test the engine before or after its put in the car, there really isn't the type of break in procedures needed like in the old days when car had much sloppier tolerences between things like the piston ring and cylinder wall.

EDIT: If I worked at a car dealership and you gave me something like that GT-R as a demo, I'd be petrified and wouldn't drive it. No way am I going to drive on a public road a 100k car that is double what my salary. I'd be scared to death about somebody pulling out in front of me, curbing a wheel, hitting a steep driveway and scraping the hell out of the front, just too many things to worry about driving that car. Maybe around the block or for a short test drive with somebody else in the car, no way am I taking it out by myself or driving it home.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-25-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 11:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well if its cosmetically perfect and runs/drives like a new car, who cares. Break in periods aren't that big of a deal anymore. A lot of high performance cars, they dyno test the engine before or after its put in the car, there really isn't the type of break in procedures needed like in the old days when car had much sloppier tolerences between things like the piston ring and cylinder wall.

EDIT: If I worked at a car dealership and you gave me something like that GT-R as a demo, I'd be petrified and wouldn't drive it. No way am I going to drive on a public road a 100k car that is double what my salary. I'd be scared to death about somebody pulling out in front of me, curbing a wheel, hitting a steep driveway and scraping the hell out of the front, just too many things to worry about driving that car. Maybe around the block or for a short test drive with somebody else in the car, no way am I taking it out by myself or driving it home.
Cars that expensive aren't given to a salesman. Usually it's the owner of the dealership, in which case the car is (hopefully) not double his/her salary.
Old 01-31-17, 09:13 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Any updates ssmoked?
Old 01-31-17, 07:13 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

^ I didn't bite mainly bc the interior color

I think the dealer sold it already

I'm currently looking at RS7. Simlilar to GTR performance with 4 doors

Last edited by ssmoked; 01-31-17 at 07:17 PM.