Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Can't Acura Make a Nice Grille?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17 | 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
I like it, but it reminds me of home plate, and that brings up mixed feelings. Lousy hitter when I was a kid, but a pretty good fielder.
Well, this grille might, at least, get to first base. That's more than I could say for the parrot-beaks.
Old 01-24-17 | 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

This was my favorite Acura grill to date (2008 MDX)

Old 01-24-17 | 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This has to be mine....the mid/late-90s Integra, with four classic round headlights and no true grille at all. It was somewhat similar to the front end of Toyota Celicas of the period (I owned a 1995 Celica).

Old 01-24-17 | 06:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

The current TL is a very good looking vehicle. I was very happy to see that Acura went back to normal styling.

Now, it's upsetting to see the new grill they put on the MDX and upcoming TSX. Hideous. Way worse than Lexus spindle anything.
Old 01-24-17 | 06:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The current TL is a very good looking vehicle. I was very happy to see that Acura went back to normal styling.

Now, it's upsetting to see the new grill they put on the MDX and upcoming TSX. Hideous. Way worse than Lexus spindle anything.
They don't make the TL anymore. And this is a TLX.
Old 01-24-17 | 07:10 PM
pman6
Racer

it's bad because the shape clashes with the rest of the car. It's not well integrated, and looks jarring. You can't just look at the grille alone.

These days, the grille is a brand's major trademark. Some brands, like bmw and mercedes, have consistent grille designs.

Others are in an eternal struggle to come up with a defining design.
Old 01-24-17 | 10:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

The updated grille looks great, and I am hearing similar praise all over the internet. Anything is better than the heavy shield grille that we've been forced to look at for years. I believe Acura has made the biggest step forward with the updated MDX and upcoming TLX.
Old 01-25-17 | 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

imo there's too much (too thick) chrome around that new grill. but size/proportions are tame compared to others.
Old 01-25-17 | 06:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
it's bad because the shape clashes with the rest of the car. It's not well integrated, and looks jarring. You can't just look at the grille alone.

These days, the grille is a brand's major trademark. Some brands, like bmw and mercedes, have consistent grille designs.

Others are in an eternal struggle to come up with a defining design.

Well said. You could probably add Audi in with MB and BMW although their single frame grill hasn't been around as long.
Old 01-25-17 | 07:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
imo there's too much (too thick) chrome around that new grill. but size/proportions are tame compared to others.
+1. hate the chrome trim

blacked it out a bit... I think the oversized "A" looks too oversized

Last edited by bagwell; 01-25-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-25-17 | 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, here is one of the the biggest improvement in grilles from one generation to the next.....the 2Gen vs. 3Gen Buick LaCrosse.

The 2Gen was overly-gaudy with its large chrome vertical bars and chrome-outline Buick emblem, though it was toned down somewhat in a mid-cycle face-lift. The 3Gen is more subdued, and brought back the nice tricolor Buick shield that was missing for years.

Old 01-25-17 | 08:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The updated grille looks great, and I am hearing similar praise all over the internet. Anything is better than the heavy shield grille that we've been forced to look at for years. I believe Acura has made the biggest step forward with the updated MDX and upcoming TLX.
We must be hanging out on different forums. Even on Temple of VTEC I've been laughing at the creative ways to insult the TLX implementation. The MDX reception was undoubtedly more positive.
Old 01-25-17 | 09:33 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't get it. I know Honda/Acura designs by committee, but their grille issue is just getting out of control. I thought the TLX's mini-beak was just fine, but now they're putting this stupid grin on everything:
We can agree here, it's not that great. At least it's not the atrocity that was committed against the Maxima. That one, just shocks me. I can only laugh when I see the angry clown in my mirrors on my commute.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Something else I've noticed Honda doing lately that I can't stand is using that cheap black plastic crap all over their cars. Its that sort of weird, non-gloss flat black plastic egg crate that is impossible to keep clean and fades out after a few years. The new Acura grill, the lower portion of the front bumper of that SUV, the new Civic especially, all of them have that cheap black plastic crap sprinkled all over them to add stylistic "flair". It ends up looking cheap, like when GM thought it would be a good idea to put that plastic crap all over the Avalanche and Aztek.
Yes to this. Have you seen the rear of the 2016 Civic hatchback? It's appalling. Just what is going on over there?

They used to make such good looking cars.
Old 01-25-17 | 09:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Some weird upright design issue. I get the grille needed to changed but the old design was good as it was. This really didnt do too much to help the beak
Old 01-25-17 | 11:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1. hate the chrome trim

blacked it out a bit... I think the oversized "A" looks too oversized
You'll see more of this as automakers continue to try to hide the various autonomous emergency braking/adaptive cruise control/etc sensors behind plastic badges, without having to do something like this:

Quick Reply: Why Can't Acura Make a Nice Grille?