Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As a Lexus driver, what are you tired of hearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 09:54 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
When I had my Lexuses and modded the hell out of them, lot of people were saying: if you like driving, why don't you get a BMW...

but what pissed me the most, is people keep saying: nice Toyota. Sigh
I would not get pissed about that especially if someone was not taking a shot and just thought it was a Toyota. Lexus is a closely related upmarket brand of Toyota, just like with Infiniti and Acura to Nissan and Honda, Lexus cars were Toyota's in Japan. Many people who are not very into car still don't know the whole relationship between the upmarket Japanese brands. If you buy any one of the upmarket Japanese brands there are going to be many people who think they are Nissan's, Toyota's, or Honda's and don't really think there is much difference. No big deal. I would have bought my GS whether it was a Lexus or Toyota and enjoyed it just as much. I even tell some people I drive a Toyota or it is a Toyota when they ask because what I dislike the most is some people thinking I just bought a Lexus to show off, think I spent a lot more on it then I really did, or that I am some "baller" with a huge bank account, that is what gets really annoying. I don't mind people thinking I drive a Toyota at all and in many cases prefer it, one of my favorite cars ever I used to constantly lust over, the Supra turbo was a Toyota.

I get mostly compliments on my Lexus, I try to keep it looking good, most people actually think it is a lot newer then it is I think because I keep it polished and waxed.

Last edited by UDel; 01-30-17 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Good point about the GS, as there is nothing like it in the Toyota line. I've had a couple people ask me if the LS is the same as an Avalon, to which I politely tell them it's vastly different.
I have talked to a couple people too who think the older Avalons were based on the LS platform, they are pretty shocked when I tell them the Avalon was based on a FWD Camry platform.
Old 01-30-17, 10:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Have to agree. I had one, it was a monster with the right mods. Loved that car. Bought it here on CL.

Any respect it didn't command on reputation was quickly earned with a blip of the throttle.
LOL, I remember giving my friends a ride in my GS and they were absolutely shocked when I floored it when we were driving, they could not believe how fast it was even with 3 people in the car. My friend still tells me he tells stories of how shocked his was that my Lexus was as fast as it was and it was the quickest car they have been in. One of the reasons I am glad I got the V8 over the 6 cylinder.
Old 01-30-17, 10:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
Some idiot told me the other day that she thought my car was a new Honda Accord from the back! I just laughed as I hopped in my 4GS that was parked beside her 199* something Ford Focus. Lesson for that day - you can't argue with fools!
Calling someone a idiot or fool just because they mistook your GS for a Accord is a little harsh especially if it was just a common mistake. The current generation Accord does have a profile very similar at certain angles to a 4th Gen GS and BMW 5 series, for someone not very into cars it can be very easy to confuse the 3 especially from a distance with a Accord Sport.
Old 01-30-17, 10:32 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Calling someone a idiot or fool just because they mistook your GS for a Accord is a little harsh especially if it was just a common mistake. The current generation Accord does have a profile very similar at certain angles to a 4th Gen GS and BMW 5 series, for someone not very into cars it can be very easy to confuse the 3 especially from a distance with a Accord Sport.
First and foremost, the "idiot" is a friend of mine and she knows more about cars than I do haha.,,she was being sarcastic when she said that, we just have that kind of relationship. I sent her the post after I posted it and she laughed so it didn't offend the person it was referring to. Don't mean to offend anyone and if it was someone I didn't know then I would not have been so harsh, unless I knew they were just trying to be funny lol. I removed that post so it wouldn't get misunderstood or offend anyone. Thanks!
Old 01-30-17, 11:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
LOL, I remember giving my friends a ride in my GS and they were absolutely shocked when I floored it when we were driving, they could not believe how fast it was even with 3 people in the car. My friend still tells me he tells stories of how shocked his was that my Lexus was as fast as it was and it was the quickest car they have been in. One of the reasons I am glad I got the V8 over the 6 cylinder.
I'm definitely hooked on the Lexus V8 the GS I have is my first V8 period. Also having a Supra with a single turbo Inline 6 is a good balance. I would never swap out the 1UZ for a 2JZ. I like the powerband of the 1UZ it doesn't make big numbers but that's ok the garage room mate is there for that. I plan to get a GS460 next and will bite the bullet and do custom long tube headers
Old 01-30-17, 11:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,718 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Someone I know asked me "Isn't the IS kinda similar to a Corolla though?" I think we have all run into that at some point in time. I actually drove one of the current-gen Corollas as a rental in December, and boy oh boy there is NOTHING in common with the Lexus. Maybe the fonts on the infotainment screen are familiar, but the Corolla is noticeably lower-grade in every way and doesn't even feel like the same class of vehicle. Not a bad car, just... not a luxury car like a Lexus. Not to mention the FWD platform... I am preaching to the choir here on these forums though.

Most people do respect the choice of car, in my experience - they say they're happy for you, ask how fast it is, etc.
Old 01-30-17, 12:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I'm definitely hooked on the Lexus V8 the GS I have is my first V8 period. Also having a Supra with a single turbo Inline 6 is a good balance. I would never swap out the 1UZ for a 2JZ. I like the powerband of the 1UZ it doesn't make big numbers but that's ok the garage room mate is there for that. I plan to get a GS460 next and will bite the bullet and do custom long tube headers
this is why the V8 is so important for giving a real luxury feel. the way the power smoothly builds as the revs increase, and how much instant torque is ALWAYS on demand. cars with big turbos are fast but only when the turbo has spooled up, meaning you have to plan ahead when you want to make a pass, make sure you're always in the right gear when exiting a corner, etc... but with that 1UZ and 5-speed combo you're never more than 1 gear away from good acceleration, usually it's just happy to chill in the current gear and it still has no problem passing people. especially on the highway, it has no problem staying in 5th gear and will still leave others in the dust with just a small flex of your foot
Old 01-30-17, 01:14 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I was told by others that Lexus vehicles are for middle-class folks that can't afford true luxury vehicles while BMWs and Mercedes are more prestigious and owning one shows the world you're rich and successful in life...typical German luxury brand pedestal...
It's kind of half true since most German owners would be spending more money on repairs. lol